“A unique and luxurious boutique hotel experience.”

Gramercy Park Hotel
Ranked #87 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 21 August 2011

In all respects, large and small, the GPH and staff welcomed us into and delivered a unique and luxurious boutique hotel experience. Our trip involved both business and pleasure and the business got done and the pleasure was plentiful. Perfect NYC location on an unusually quiet corner of Lex at 21.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,479)

Reviewed 21 August 2011

Supposedly one of the best hotels in NYC. We were a bit disappointed. It is probably more suitable for a romantic hang out than a stay with family & kids. Rack rate is above 600$, and what do you get for that?
On the highs: friendly staff, excellent concierge (David Moreno), good location, spacious room for NYC, fancy lobby but deco in the rooms made us feel like attending a vampires party.
On the lows: not the best beds we've had, no aircon in the room from 4am and though the front office manager was quick and efficient to propose a lower rate this is not the kind of problem you would expect in such a hotel. Lobby bar and terrace bar privatized for some financial company event... don't they have lounges for this??
Check your car if you hand over to valet parking. Ours had a scratch but we saw too late.
Probably some better choices available in NYC when travelling with families.

2  Thank PKOR
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We spent three nights at The Gramercy Park Hotel. The hotel is beautiful with incredible art work and fantastic art books in the Bar and in the room. The staff was friendly, helpful and always smiling. The room was huge for New York - spacious with a large sitting area. The decor was funky, turn of the century (20th) and very comfortable. The area is next to a private park and close to Union Square - quiet but accessible to everywhere.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carol0910
Reviewed 14 August 2011

From the minute we arrived at the hotel, we were taken away by the opulence and magnificence of the front lobby. Artwork adorned the walls and a beautiful fireplace welcomed us. The staff was very accommodating and friendly to all of our needs and inquiries. We were very pleased with the hotel's location in regards to sightseeing, as it is conveniently located in the middle of Manhattan. The room was very comforting and inviting after a full day of walking around New York City. Definitely make sure to grab a bite to eat at the Terrace...everything on the menu is delicious!

Room Tip: Ask reservationist for best room tom fit your needs
1  Thank Michael1018
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I've often used TripAdvisor when considering hotels, but this is my first review. It's prompted by a recent 4-night stay at the Gramercy Park Hotel. My company is headquartered in New York City, and Manhattan also is my primary destination for leisure travel, so I have stayed at many 4 and 5 star properties there over the past 20 years.

Gramercy Park, at best, would get a "3" out of "5" stars from me. The neighborhood is great--quiet but very central. The design and appointments are lovely, if a bit worn. The water pressure in the shower was phenomenal, and the housekeeping staff were excellent. Those are the best things I can say.

What ruined the experience for us was the pervasive disengagement of the staff, starting with the reservation clerk when I called to book and continuing through check-out. We had booked a Park Avenue Suite, but the layout (bathroom is a walk-through between the living room and bedroom) proved unworkable for two adults; within 5 minutes of being in the suite, we'd bumped into each other several times). The front desk informed me that all Avenue Suites had the same layout, but they could upgrade us to a one-bedroom suite at the "special" price of an additional $150/day. We opted for that, and I have no complaints about the one-bedroom suite itself.

On the second day, I found a small brown bug crawling on the bathroom towels. I killed it and took it to the front desk. I waited until no other guests were within earshot, and showed it to the clerk. I told her that I didn't know what it was, and I didn't want to make a big deal out of it, but given the NYC bed bug issues, I thought she should be aware of it. She said that she would have someone identify the bug, and they would check our suite for others. I never heard back from anyone at the hotel so I assume that everything checked out ok, but it would have been nice to be reassured that it was something other than a bedbug so that we did not remain uneasy throughout the balance of our stay.

Service at the Terrace was generally poor, and we were charged for an item that we never ordered (or received) at breakfast our last day. Because we never saw our waiter after he took our order, I had to hunt down the hostess to get the charge removed. With prices such as $9.00 for coffee, one would expect better.

I waited in line over 10 minutes to check out because there was only one clerk working at 11:00 a.m. She kept calling to someone in the back to help out, and finally someone came to the other station, but she was clearly annoyed to have been summoned and didn't so much as ask about our stay.

I completed the on-line survey sent by the general manager after our visit and described our disappointments, but to date (a week later), there has been no follow-up.

In summary, while our issues may be considered small by some, the Gramercy Park clearly doesn't deserve the reputation it has (or tries to perpetuate)--and certainly not at its price point (over $700/night in our case). The hotel is well located and the design is nice. But the service--even the general demeanor of all the staff we encountered, except housekeeping--is remote, bordering on unpleasant. There are many other choices in the same general area with comparable facilities and far superior service, so I won't be back. In fact, over the past six months, we've stayed at the Gansevoort Park, Bryant Park, and Kimberly, and each was preferable to Gramercy Park. In short, the Gramercy Park is not "all that," even if the staff tries to pretend it is.

Room Tip: Avoid Park Avenue Suites if more than one person; if you need two beds, book a regular double room...
2  Thank James B
Reviewed 11 August 2011

This hotel was cleverly decorated with a trendy bar and restaurant well stocked in good wines. The room resonated New York style and had plenty of amenities. Service was impeccable including valet parking and a helpful concierge. Can't wait to go visit again!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2011

From the moment we entered the lobby and saw both the elegance and eclectic feel of the hotel we were both excited to be in the city and relaxed at the same time. The staff was eager to assist us and made us a reservation at a popular jazz club, where we had an excellent time. We finished with a late dinner at Mailino where everything was delicious. My only complaint, albeit small, was my pasta dish was a little to salty, but still wonderful. Our room was beautifully designed, clean, and so unique for the city. I will definitely stay again!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple