“Great hotel - not for business”

Gramercy Park Hotel
Ranked #89 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 8 October 2011

I stayed at Gramercy Park Hotel this past February while in town for business. I lived in NYC for years and had always wanted to check out the GPH, so was happy to stay there while back in town for work. GPH is certainly a great hotel for people on vacation or a special event, but perhaps not the right pick for business. For example, I was upgraded to a beautiful suite, but the desk was positioned in the middle of the room with no electrical connection. (Separately, I find the whole purple velvet/brown leather design to a bit Russian prostitute-ish) But on the other hand the staff was able to get me a reservation at Maialino (which was delicious), and the lobby bar is a great place to catch up with friends. All in all, great hotel for someone looking to relax, not a great hotel for someone looking to do business.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 29 September 2011

Stayed here with my boyfriend for our 4 year anniversary and we had a great time!

The lobby area had a cozy feel with candles lit and a burning fireplace. The front desk was helpful and check-in was speedy.

We had the great opportunity of meeting the Front Desk Manager Marc Rafeld. When we got to our room, the first thing I noticed was what was on the desk. We were greeted with a card, complimentary cake and Prosecco champagne for our anniversary from the general manager, that I later found out was arranged by Marc! He was so nice and helpful and the little touches that he saw to made our stay that much more wonderful!

We did not have any dinner plans and decided to check with the concierge for some suggestions. Austin was able to get us reservations at Ciano's and we were there and seated within the hr with enough time to relax for a bit before dinner.

The rooms were nicely furnished with a beautiful bamboo throw over the king-sized bed. Pillows were nice, big and fluffy. There were french doors leading to a nice and modern vanity area with shower and bathroom. To our right was a rather creepy bathroom with a toilet, a phone and too much extra space in dim lighting. To our left was a very nice shower with a window, 3 different water heads and a place to sit if you wanted. Both shower and bathroom were closed by frosted glass doors. The vanity area had a nice large space for all the necessary amenities and cute bundles of light bulbs on each side of a large mirror and square sink. Amenities included MOMO shampoo and conditioner by Davines, Le Labo Bergamote 22 shower gel for the hotel and Mario Badescu body lotion. There was also a shoe shine mitt and vanity kit with cotton swabs and cotton pads. Nice plush robes and slippers were wonderful stepping out of the shower.

The closet had an electronic safe, shelves, areas to hang clothing like jackets and dresses, iron/ironing board, optional laundry service and an umbrella for convenience/purchase. There was also a really cool lamp with 3 lightbulbs with conveniently separate light pulls on the desk.

The mini bar was AWESOME! Had so many things I can't remember. Mini drinks including patron, JB, JD, Makers, Goose etc etc and of course beer, juices, water, seltzer and champagne. All sorts of candy, goodies, bath products, mens products, Fresh Lip Treatment etc etc! It was awesome!!

We had a great time and although we didn't get a chance to visit the privately keyed park, i definitely look forward to staying here again! :)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sleepiebabie
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I'm in my 50s, not my 30s, so staying at some impossibly hip, trendy hotel isn't at the top of my priority list. A client booked me at the Gramercy Park for a nearby meeting. I had to ask for a flashlight to see the sign-in card. When did dark lobbies get so trendy? Remember when Cher sold a line of Goth furniture in the late 80s -early 90s? She must have sold a lot to this hotel. Lots of studded stuff, tapestries, and metal, "updated" with orange and pink. I had to stand on the corner of my bed to open the bathroom door. (The bathroom was just exquisite, don't get me wrong.) I had trouble falling asleep with the orange and pink and could not read by the light of the 20 watt teacup lanterns next to the bed. And I paid a whopping $560 for one night, when all the taxes were included. The location is just as fantastic as everyone says. But give me dowdy over this au courant nonsense every time.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank Opinion8ted
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2011

Dear Opinion8ted,
We are very sorry to hear that the Gramercy Park Hotel was not to your liking. We recognize that our design is incredibly unique and contemporary, and does not suit everyone’s taste. We hope that you were at least able to enjoy our incredibly collection of original 20th century masterpieces by Andy Warhol, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Damien Hirst, and others.

Regarding the lighting in the hotel, we are pleased to inform you that we have taken our guests’ feedback to heart, and are just finishing a “refresh” of all our rooms. We have lightened the ceilings, and added a great deal of additional light, including but not limited to higher wattage in the guestrooms, and lit, magnifying mirrors in the bathrooms. Our Terrace will also shortly be undergoing a complete renovation.

We are also sorry to hear that your room was smaller than you expected. We do offer a variety of room types that range in size. We are certain that you would have been happy with the size of one of our deluxe rooms or suites.

Thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed 20 September 2011

Had a quick trip to NYC and chose this hotel from other trip advisor reviews. We were not disappointed. The public areas are stylish and funky and the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Had cocktails in the bar one night for my birthday and there it's a really great way to spend an evening; vibrant and sophisticated.

The roof terrace is a great place to enjoy breakfast with views across Manhattan; and it's worth going up there to see the Andy Warhols alone.

Brilliant location - quiet yet easy to get around - and you feel you're exploring a neighbourhood rather than in the thick of a city.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2011

This was my first time staying at the Park and I loved it!! staying here during fashion week its a great experience. I have been in manhattan tons of times and will not stay anywhere else from now on. Great service, great location and good looking people all the time. The terrace and the rose bar are super trendy with great atmosphere too. The Mailino restaurant is awesome!!! Over all a great trip. can´t wait to go back!!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We usually stay mid-town but our plans this past weekend required us to be on the lower East Side of Manhattan. The Gramercy was the PERFECT hotel! Beautiful building, first-class accomodations, an excellent staff and a perfect location. A bit pricey, but if you're planning to spend time in that part of the City, the few extra $$ are more than worth it. GPH will not disappoint!

Room Tip: Regular rooms are small...but it's New York. We asked for, and received, an upgrade and our sui...