“Something not right...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #90 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Something not right...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

Our visit to GPH was on 12/31. My complaints are threefold.
First of all Concierge flat out lied to us. When we booked our room I had spoken with them regarding dinner reservations at Maialino (attached to GPH). Ultimately, they were booked so we found something else on our own. However, on his own accord, the young man in concierge informed me that our party of four had seating reservations in the Rose Bar/Jade room for the New years celebration for later that evening. He made no mention of any price or minimum. I was pleasantly surprised and delighted! We had just assumed we would end up at the bar for a drink at midnight. Of course you know how the saying goes, when it sounds too good... Well, when the time arrived we were not only told a whole other story of how those tables (its really a stool)go for $1500 to reserve, but the female concierge was so rude and angry towards us. The manager was embarrassed and apologetic when I told him. Of course the young man lost his tone and attitude when he had to face us in front of his manager and explain to us that there was confusion on my part. I was offended. To make a customer look like they have a comprehension problem is bad business. He then remedied the situation to stand by what he had originally said to me over the phone. It was very obvious what had unfolded: there was no set plan earlier in the month and then when the establishment set up their New Years eve party and pricing, the concierge had to backpedal and make the customer look like a fool. Shame on you!

Secondly, The young man who was working inside the room as either security or manager said "you must be a persian" because of the fact that we did not pay for the table. I became infuriated. I went to find a manager inside the hotel but whoever they had working was just stunned and did not know what to do. They must of known who we were thanks to Concierge. How vindictive. How appalling.

Lastly, Stocking their bathrooms with some designer toiletries, is nice but cannot mask the fact that this hotel is in need of a major overhaul. There is good reason why the lighting is extremely dim in the hallways and rooms. The carpet is filthy with stains. Our room had a subtle odor that was probably emitting from the stain ridden upholstery. We were kept up all night from the music coming from the bar that went late into the early morning.
We are very grateful to the apologetic and utmost professional Manager in charge that day. He truly tried his best to make our stay more pleasant. Unfortunately, lies, racist comments, and squalid room conditions will not bring us back to this very expensive establishment.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nina N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Herts England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights over New Year having got a great deal via British Airways.

Firstly the good - (1) the location was great, only a couple of minutes walk from the subways at 23rd street and Union Sq, which can get you anywhere in Manhattan quickly. (2) There are ample restaurants in the area including Vic & Anthony's and the Gramercy Tavern (3) The service from all staff was excellent (4) The Gramercy Terrace was a fantastic place for breakfast with a great choice of food and excellent staff & service (5) the artwork was fascinating!

The not so good (1) The Queen rooms are TINY and for the normal price, are (IMHO) not good value for money. (2) The bathroom is also tiny, with no storage space and he toilet is tight against the wall (the shower was powerful and hot though). (3) the hotel decor is a very dark red and consequently the overall feeling is oppressive and gloomy - there is a fine line between classy and gloomy and I felt this was crossed - it was good to get out into the daylight! (4) We had an inside room with very limited daylight and this with the dark decor was depressing.

Overall we had a great time in NY and we loved the breakfasts and location. If we were to stay here again, it would have to be in a bigger room, facing out and for that the "price would have to be right!"

Room Tip: The basic "Queen" rooms and bathrooms are very small, but if you have one at least get one...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Montclair, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

My wife and I booked this room as our first night out in a year after having our first child. I requested a room on a high floor and when I arrived they had put us in room 314. The hotel has at least 19 floors so the request was obviously ignored. When I pointed this out to the front desk clerk she first told me that she could put me in a smoking room on the 6th floor which of course wasn't much better. She then found us a room on the 9th floor but we had to wait an hour before it was ready. I wasn't terribly upset over this & told her we'd wait in the lounge. She told me that she'd come find me in the lounge when it was ready.

I sat in the lounge and the ordered a drink from the first server that came by. It never materialized. When my wife arrived a 2nd server asked us if we'd like a drink and I told her that I'd already ordered one and my wife also ordered a drink and a glass of water. Both of our drinks came but not the water which we then had to ask for yet again. I then asked the server if she knew anything about a nearby restaurant. She said she knew nothing about it but that I should just go & ask the concierge about it. Of course my thought was "YOU could as us for him!" But she clearly had no interest in doing so. The bill came and was $25 for a bellini and a coke plus our tip. Seemed pretty expensive considering the wait and rude service.

I then went back to the front desk to check on our room. The same front desk clerk informed me that our room had been ready for the past half hour but couldn't find me when she came into the lounge. I found this rather bizarre since there were only about 15 people in the entire place. As I walked away from her I inquired if the elevators were around the corner from where we were standing. She was speaking with another hotel employee and they just looked up and muttered, "Yuh-huh." I have never been addressed by anyone that works at a hotel in such a strange way. I would imagine that the correct response should have been something like, "Yes it's just around the corner, would you like me to show you?" When I asked her if she had change for $20 bill she didn't have that either. And this was merely so I could tip the staff.

We then arrived in our room. As others have mentioned in other reviews, it's rather small and cluttered with unnecessary furniture. The bed was extremely hard and uncomfortable and had no top sheet. Only the duvet covered the bed. And considering the fact that the temperature controls were impossible to decipher and the room was freezing half the night it would certainly have been helpful to have a bit more covering on the bed. The bathroom amenities were fine except for the extremely cheap one-ply toilet paper. You'd think they could do better than that for $575/night. Not to mention the long hair we found in the shower cap. Later we rented a movie and it kept cutting out throughout the viewing. We didn't pay for the wi-fi but asking people to pay almost $20 for it on top of the expensive room is highway robbery. They never offered us the key to Gramercy Park either. Not sure if we had to ask or not, but it was advertised on the website as part of the package.

The next morning when the new desk clerk asked us about our stay I admitted that it was subpar. She was very nice and offered her apologies. The manager on duty came out and did the same, removing the charge for the movie and $75 from our bill. But I've had much less happen at other hotels and had half the bill removed. And for such an extremely high price, they really should have. The service and amenities were below standard. If we were paying $200-$250 I would have been a bit more understanding but when you're paying more than double that you should receive top quality service in return. This was far from it. The manager on duty was very kind and offered that we return for a drink on him but the night had already been ruined and that's what we'll never have back. Overall it was a huge disappointment.

2 Thank BradFlern
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Good afternoon Mr. Bradflern,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our survey.
We are so sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay at Gramercy Park Hotel.
Please accept my most sincere apologies for your experience.

Our goal is to provide great service and continue to identify areas for improvement. We aim to customize each guest’s experience and we are very sorry that we were not initially able to honor your request for a high floor. We are also sorry that you did not enjoy your experience in the bar, or your guestroom. We are glad that the Manager on duty offered some compensation for your disappointing experience, but we regret that you feel the amount is insufficient.

If you would provide your contact information, we would be happy to contact you directly to discuss further. Please feel free to contact me personally.

Sincerely
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

Spent NYE at the hotel, staff was friendly at checkin, and we got an early check in. Booked an avenue suite which should sleep 4; which honesly didnt turn out to be much more than a normal hotel room with a small "livingroom" with a sofa and a table in it. Overall the room felt small, nothing like the any other suite I've ever stayed in. The minibar and roomservice was riddicilusly priced; I get that it is a "fancy" hotel, but there are limits. And really, charging 16 bucks a night for WiFi in 2013...., thats just greedy..
Front desk staff was very helpful and professional.
Location wise it's in spitting distance of the 6 subway which takes you uptown to Grand Central and downtown to CIty Hall, and not far from the stop on 23rd which takes you to Times square.
Did unfortunatly not get to go into the park due to own priorities.
Overall, unless you have a good reason to choose this hotel (art, fancyness whatever) I'd look for other more reasonable and available options.

Also make sure to ask for a room further up than the 3rd floor, the party factor brought by the bar at ground level is very much present in the late hours.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room further up than the 3rd floor, the party factor brought by the bar at gr...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Magnus N
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, 2 January 2013
Good afternoon Magnus,

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased that our service and location made your visit to New York City enjoyable. I am sorry you felt our rooms are small. We do have many additional room types that are much larger.

Should you decide to give us another try do not hesitate to contact me personally.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012

The Gramercy Park Hotel is in an ideal location near Union Square, with the best of the city's restaurants and shopping close by. It is a quirky, avant-garde hotel, reminiscent of L'Hotel in Paris with its modern art and velvet furniture. Expensive but worth the premium in most respects.
The downsides were relatively minor. Some front desk staff were less than helpful at times -- just not much interest in our requests. The main irritant was the $18 per day fee for wifi -- a silly charge that virtually no other hotel requires anymore -- just the sort of nickel-and-diming that resembled "resort fees".
Overall a terrific luxurious hotel experience for our eight days there.

Room Tip: The loft rooms are ideal, with lots of space.
Good afternoon Tompell,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our survey. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Gramercy Park Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Hertford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012

For a luxurious short stay, the Gramercy Park fits the bill. We stayed for a night over Christmas. The warmth of the fire and the jazz band playing in the Rose bar whilst we sipped cocktails and gazed at the art was decadent. There are often celebs staying but the relaxed atmosphere makes the whole experience very private. Crystal glasses in the bedroom were a nice touch and the cosy feel didn't encourage us to leave. It is pricey but for a short-stay it was very enjoyable. Whilst it is perfect for a romantic getaway, we had our children with us and they equally enjoyed it.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tanforever
Good afternoon Tanforever,

Thank you for your review. We are so happy to learn that you and your family have enjoyed your experience at Gramercy Park Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2012

I stayed for one night in July and this time for 2 nights over Christmas. Although my previous review gave this place a rating of "Very Good", I'm now changing it to "Poor" and here's why: We flew in from Hong Kong on Christmas eve and were exhausted, there was no doorman at the front door and just one person on duty at the front desk at 8pm. After checking in, I actually had to request that a porter take our luggage to the room, the front desk didn't offer and the porter was nowhere to be found. We ordered room service which cost $201. I ordered Pollo alla Diavola (half-chicken) and I got... a half-chicken and absolutely nothing else. No fires, no salad, no vegetables, bread, potato, nothing, just a piece of chicken on a plate. I couldn't believe room service didn't tell me that or ask if I wanted anything to accompany my chicken. I remember writing in my last review that in-room dining was very average, I should have taken my own advice. We woke up at 4am (being on Hong Kong time) and wanted coffee and tea only to find there is no coffee maker or kettle in the room. So we ordered from room service and when it arrived 30 minutes later (there is apparently only one person on duty), the bill was $31 for one pot of decaf coffee and one cup of peppermint tea. Since neither are listed on the in-room dining menu and there is none available in the room, we really had no choice but to pay $31 for tea and coffee. Their full continental breakfast costs only $30! I visited their gym in the morning and found their elliptical cycle cranky and squeaking and the treadmill's TV was fuzzy. The rest of our stay was pretty uneventful apart from a few things not working in the room and trying to order a glass of wine in the lobby lounge (unbelievably, both bars were closed at 3pm) and the fire place upstairs was out, so instead we had to go Maialino which was fantastic. I've never been one to complain about prices in any of my reviews but when you charge $31 for tea and coffee and your room service delivery charge increases by $1 between 11pm and 6am, then you come across as devious and cheap and that's not GPH. You could argue that revising a review from "Very Good" to "Poor" over a charge for coffee and poor service is unreasonable but in my view, the hospitality business is absolutely all about the details and perhaps GPH needs some staff training and a review of their pricing, and perhaps a coffee machine in the room. You could have charged a reasonable amount and had a customer for life but instead, despite your wonderful fire places and great art collection, next time I'm trying The Marcel. I will however return to The Terrace for breakfast, it's simply fantastic.

3 Thank DEK649