“Better Than Expected”

Ranked #89 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Better Than Expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

I was not looking forward to staying at the Gramercy the first time I went, as I remembered it being a party place with over-the-top decor. In the end, though, I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms are probably not for everyone inasmuch as they are dark with furnishings unusual in a hotel, but it worked for me. The bathrooms are generally nice, although I had some issue with the shower. I have to give a VERY special kudos to Housekeeping, who puts all other of the hotel employees to shame. They are extraordinarily efficient, kind, and helpful. I am not sure who is in charge of that particular area, but they are doing an amazing job. The location is great, downtown but quiet, and close to everything. The weak spots: the front desk, cold, inefficient, unapologetic when things are wrong (such as, ahem, double-billing) and generally ill-mannered, not a good combination for a reception. The room service food is not great, and the restaurant is difficult to get into, even for guests (don't think you will be made to feel special, ie get a table, just because you are staying at the hotel). With all that said, I do think that for New York, there is value here, and I have stayed more than once.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank pcinbk
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Good evening!

Thank you for taking the time to complete our survey.

We are incredibly disappointed to read that you found our staff to be cold, inefficient and upapologetic when things are wrong. We are a small, intimate hotel, with many guests that consider us their "home away from home". One of the main reasons they return is our staff. We are very sorry that you did not experience the exemplary leve of service that we usually provide.

We hope you will change your mind and give us another try. We would love to welcome you back.

Elizabeth Mao

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2013

While traveling with 5-star friends (who usually stay at the St. Regis), we experienced many pro's & con's of the GPH. Upon arrival, rooms were not ready. Friends staying in the $700/night suite were not thrilled to find out that their room would not be ready for hours. No special accommodations nor apologies were offered. Throughout our stay, the staff was aloof & generally disinterested in assisting customers (think: Apple Genius Bar). The hotel lobby was funky & cool, but the staff was just COLD!

Lunch in the Terrace Restaurant was decent, but there were mice crawling along the sides of the room & the wait staff seemed unconcerned. Dinner downstairs at Maialino was very good & the staff there was well-informed.

Planning to meet friends in the hotel's Rose Bar was an event. Though we were paying a small fortune to stay in several rooms at the hotel, the concierge was "unable" or "unwilling" to get two of us on the coveted guest list. After speaking to the on-duty hotel manager, we were finally granted a place on the bar's list. Frankly, it was ridiculous.

Location is pleasant & quiet. Rooms are dark & claustrophobic but tidy. Housekeeping insisted on hanging our folded clothes, and we ended up leaving items that were hung up without our knowledge. Those items promptly disappeared. Overall, for the money, a TRUE five-star hotel this is NOT!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank jcd-pvb
Margate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013 via mobile

This seems to be one of those "love it or hate it" places and I loved it.....!

When you walk through the door on a cold winters evening you are greeted by a roaring fire in the stunning lobby. The whole place really is a feast for the senses (it smells sensational too!). The staff are efficient, courteous and helpful.

Although on the small side, our room was beautifully decorated and dimly lit - the bathroom was interestingly finished and had top notch amenities. The whole hotel was spotlessly clean.

Breakfast on the terrace was fabulous and unique, again staff were extremely helpful and welcoming. The continental buffet was full of good quality, healthy options and as with everything at The Gramercy Park, presented in an interesting manner.

The gym is small but adequate and the exercise machines modern and clean.

The whole hotel is adorned with the most fabulous museum quality modern art and just has a wonderful soul and style.

The Rose and Jade bars are absolute glamourfests - and why not? We were invited to their New Years Eve party but unfortunately had other plans - the place was packed with beautiful people.

In short - if you like the bland and uninteresting then stay at the Marriott. If you like quirky quality then this place is definitely for you.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank BenjaminCT7
Good evening,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our survey. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at Gramercy Park Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Islamorada, Florida, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

I will keep this as short and brief as possible and make a list of why you should NOT stay at this hotel.

1. It takes 3-5 days for the Gramercy Hotel to return a phone call.

2. I was charged twice on my card for the Wicked tickets I bought through The Gramercy Hotel, and was never given the credit.

3. The conceire would yawn on the phone when talking to me and when asked me to hold, instead of actually putting me on hold, I could hear her entire converstaion in the background with whoever she was talking with.

4. When we checked in and went up to the room. There was black pubic hair all over the entire tub, so disgusting.

5. We went in December when it was very cold and the heater in the bathroom did not work.

6. When I ordered room service the coffee was ice cold.

7. When we rented a movie, it turned on and off througout the entire movie.

8. When I went to the front desk and complained about all these items and wanted to check out early and go to The Greenwhich Hotel, the front desk manager Kai told me he would give me "x" amount of dollars (the money for being charged twice for the broadway tickets, but that he did not start the credit the first night we were there...therefore in order to use all the credit...I had to stay another 4 nights. I was so so upset.

9. When I did go to check out early because I was so disgusted with this hotel,( I was suppose to stay 7 nights and wanted to leave after the first night but due to the credit I could l could not check out early so Kai said) Then on the day they finally let me leave, thinking they would stand by there horrible customer service, dirty disgusting hotel bathroom, and charging me double...when I went to check out with Kai, they did not give me the credit and did not do "1" thing to compensate for this horrible experience. I was very upset to say the least and told him I want Elizabeth the General Manager to call me asap when she returns to work over the holidays and I have heard mothing.

I am a single Mom with two teenagers and we had been looking forward to this trip for an entire year. This hotel literally ruined my kids vacation, I felt so bad for them as I tried to keep it togeather and stay happy and positive but it was such a bummer so sad....

We ended up going to the Greenwhich Hotel which is an amazing hotel for the last three nights we were in New York. Thank god they had room. With all of this being said I am warning you DO NOT!!! i Repeat DO NOT stay at the Gramercy hotel, you will so disappointed!!!!

Room Tip: Dont stay there...run the other direction!!!!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
13 Thank MicheleMontang
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

Our visit to GPH was on 12/31. My complaints are threefold.
First of all Concierge flat out lied to us. When we booked our room I had spoken with them regarding dinner reservations at Maialino (attached to GPH). Ultimately, they were booked so we found something else on our own. However, on his own accord, the young man in concierge informed me that our party of four had seating reservations in the Rose Bar/Jade room for the New years celebration for later that evening. He made no mention of any price or minimum. I was pleasantly surprised and delighted! We had just assumed we would end up at the bar for a drink at midnight. Of course you know how the saying goes, when it sounds too good... Well, when the time arrived we were not only told a whole other story of how those tables (its really a stool)go for $1500 to reserve, but the female concierge was so rude and angry towards us. The manager was embarrassed and apologetic when I told him. Of course the young man lost his tone and attitude when he had to face us in front of his manager and explain to us that there was confusion on my part. I was offended. To make a customer look like they have a comprehension problem is bad business. He then remedied the situation to stand by what he had originally said to me over the phone. It was very obvious what had unfolded: there was no set plan earlier in the month and then when the establishment set up their New Years eve party and pricing, the concierge had to backpedal and make the customer look like a fool. Shame on you!

Secondly, The young man who was working inside the room as either security or manager said "you must be a persian" because of the fact that we did not pay for the table. I became infuriated. I went to find a manager inside the hotel but whoever they had working was just stunned and did not know what to do. They must of known who we were thanks to Concierge. How vindictive. How appalling.

Lastly, Stocking their bathrooms with some designer toiletries, is nice but cannot mask the fact that this hotel is in need of a major overhaul. There is good reason why the lighting is extremely dim in the hallways and rooms. The carpet is filthy with stains. Our room had a subtle odor that was probably emitting from the stain ridden upholstery. We were kept up all night from the music coming from the bar that went late into the early morning.
We are very grateful to the apologetic and utmost professional Manager in charge that day. He truly tried his best to make our stay more pleasant. Unfortunately, lies, racist comments, and squalid room conditions will not bring us back to this very expensive establishment.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nina N
Herts England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights over New Year having got a great deal via British Airways.

Firstly the good - (1) the location was great, only a couple of minutes walk from the subways at 23rd street and Union Sq, which can get you anywhere in Manhattan quickly. (2) There are ample restaurants in the area including Vic & Anthony's and the Gramercy Tavern (3) The service from all staff was excellent (4) The Gramercy Terrace was a fantastic place for breakfast with a great choice of food and excellent staff & service (5) the artwork was fascinating!

The not so good (1) The Queen rooms are TINY and for the normal price, are (IMHO) not good value for money. (2) The bathroom is also tiny, with no storage space and he toilet is tight against the wall (the shower was powerful and hot though). (3) the hotel decor is a very dark red and consequently the overall feeling is oppressive and gloomy - there is a fine line between classy and gloomy and I felt this was crossed - it was good to get out into the daylight! (4) We had an inside room with very limited daylight and this with the dark decor was depressing.

Overall we had a great time in NY and we loved the breakfasts and location. If we were to stay here again, it would have to be in a bigger room, facing out and for that the "price would have to be right!"

Room Tip: The basic "Queen" rooms and bathrooms are very small, but if you have one at least get one...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Montclair, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

My wife and I booked this room as our first night out in a year after having our first child. I requested a room on a high floor and when I arrived they had put us in room 314. The hotel has at least 19 floors so the request was obviously ignored. When I pointed this out to the front desk clerk she first told me that she could put me in a smoking room on the 6th floor which of course wasn't much better. She then found us a room on the 9th floor but we had to wait an hour before it was ready. I wasn't terribly upset over this & told her we'd wait in the lounge. She told me that she'd come find me in the lounge when it was ready.

I sat in the lounge and the ordered a drink from the first server that came by. It never materialized. When my wife arrived a 2nd server asked us if we'd like a drink and I told her that I'd already ordered one and my wife also ordered a drink and a glass of water. Both of our drinks came but not the water which we then had to ask for yet again. I then asked the server if she knew anything about a nearby restaurant. She said she knew nothing about it but that I should just go & ask the concierge about it. Of course my thought was "YOU could as us for him!" But she clearly had no interest in doing so. The bill came and was $25 for a bellini and a coke plus our tip. Seemed pretty expensive considering the wait and rude service.

I then went back to the front desk to check on our room. The same front desk clerk informed me that our room had been ready for the past half hour but couldn't find me when she came into the lounge. I found this rather bizarre since there were only about 15 people in the entire place. As I walked away from her I inquired if the elevators were around the corner from where we were standing. She was speaking with another hotel employee and they just looked up and muttered, "Yuh-huh." I have never been addressed by anyone that works at a hotel in such a strange way. I would imagine that the correct response should have been something like, "Yes it's just around the corner, would you like me to show you?" When I asked her if she had change for $20 bill she didn't have that either. And this was merely so I could tip the staff.

We then arrived in our room. As others have mentioned in other reviews, it's rather small and cluttered with unnecessary furniture. The bed was extremely hard and uncomfortable and had no top sheet. Only the duvet covered the bed. And considering the fact that the temperature controls were impossible to decipher and the room was freezing half the night it would certainly have been helpful to have a bit more covering on the bed. The bathroom amenities were fine except for the extremely cheap one-ply toilet paper. You'd think they could do better than that for $575/night. Not to mention the long hair we found in the shower cap. Later we rented a movie and it kept cutting out throughout the viewing. We didn't pay for the wi-fi but asking people to pay almost $20 for it on top of the expensive room is highway robbery. They never offered us the key to Gramercy Park either. Not sure if we had to ask or not, but it was advertised on the website as part of the package.

The next morning when the new desk clerk asked us about our stay I admitted that it was subpar. She was very nice and offered her apologies. The manager on duty came out and did the same, removing the charge for the movie and $75 from our bill. But I've had much less happen at other hotels and had half the bill removed. And for such an extremely high price, they really should have. The service and amenities were below standard. If we were paying $200-$250 I would have been a bit more understanding but when you're paying more than double that you should receive top quality service in return. This was far from it. The manager on duty was very kind and offered that we return for a drink on him but the night had already been ruined and that's what we'll never have back. Overall it was a huge disappointment.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BradFlern
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Good afternoon Mr. Bradflern,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our survey.
We are so sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay at Gramercy Park Hotel.
Please accept my most sincere apologies for your experience.

Our goal is to provide great service and continue to identify areas for improvement. We aim to customize each guest’s experience and we are very sorry that we were not initially able to honor your request for a high floor. We are also sorry that you did not enjoy your experience in the bar, or your guestroom. We are glad that the Manager on duty offered some compensation for your disappointing experience, but we regret that you feel the amount is insufficient.

If you would provide your contact information, we would be happy to contact you directly to discuss further. Please feel free to contact me personally.

Sincerely