“Unique Hotel”

Ranked #90 of 466 Hotels in New York City
San Francisco, California
“Unique Hotel”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I recently stayed at the Gramercy Park Hotel for a business trip and was very pleased. The decor of the rooms is a contemporary version of something vintage or historic complete with velvet headboard and chairs, bead board paneling in the bathroom, vintage inspired light fixtures, and original details to the building including wood floors, architectural molding, tiled floor in the bathroom and a marble threshhold. A decadent mini bar was beautiful with a mirrored interior and cut crystal glasses and ice bucket.

The staff was pleasant although I didn't have much interaction with them except for the hostess at the Terrace Restaurant who was always very kind and cheerful every morning I sleepily went up to get coffee (the coffee is actually much better a couple of blocks away at 71 Irving Place Coffee).

Every night I would come back from work and the lights would be dimmed with a really pretty little candle on the side table. Very cosy! I was lucky to have been there when the weather was decent and was able to open my window to the sound of crickets in the morning and the cicadas at night.

One of the perks of this hotel is access to Gramercy Park. What an unexpected treat! I went one morning for an hour or so and thoroughly enjoyed the privacy and landscaping of such an exclusive place.

This is a great place to stay if you want to feel a little like you went back in time or traveled to a totally different place. It is an elegant, quiet, but small room in the middle of a busy neighborhood. There is much to see and do within walking distance and has a fantastic restaurant, Maialino's on the ground floor. I think that the breakfast in the Terrace Restaurant is somewhat disappointing and I would actually recommend going to Irving Place coffee just a couple of blocks away.

One last thing to mention is the luxurious toiletries that they provide. Fragrant, unique and high end samples of some recognizable brands such as Le Labo are a particularly fun way to experience something new.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Hello Lisa - thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback about the property! Your attention to detail in outlining your outstanding experience is much appreciated. It sounds like you were able to enjoy every aspect of what Gramercy has to offer! Should your travels bring you back to New York in the near future, please reach out to me directly so that I may ensure you are well taken care of.

Daniel Entenberg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lake Nebagamon, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Service, service, service. GPH was over-the top (with one major exception) with their attention to personal service. I was quite impressed with the staff and their attention to detail. The rooms are small, but fairly normal for NYC and the appointments are good. The notable exception is the attitude we received going into the bar. We had a reservation, as they dictate, but the 'bouncer' would only allow the women of the party in (hmmm...). We talked our way in but I feel we shouldn't, as guests of the hotel and hosting a large event there, have such a hassle.

If you like boutique hotels this one is very good. But your dollar will go 2x further at the premium chains in the area, with very good service as well.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Hello Greg - Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience about Gramercy, it truly is the ultimate destination! We are fortunate to have great venues with-in our hotel. Weekends are quite busy here at Gramercy, especially at the Rose Bar which tends to delay entry as it attracts the all our hotel guests. We encourage all our guests upon arrival to secure a reservation with the concierge so as to ensure everyone in your party gain access into the lounge. Should your travels bring you back to New York, please reach out to me directly so that I may personally ensure you are well taken care of.

Solon, Ohio
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We just recently had our daughter's wedding at the Gramercy Park Hotel's Terrace. The hotel staff was so welcoming and made our stay truly perfect in every way. It isn't often that every person is friendly and respectful but that's exactly what we encountered here. Needless to say our guests were also extremely satisfied with the efficiency of the hotel. The wedding couldn't have been better. Michele, who we dealt with for the reception, is perfect for the job. She made our daughter and now son-in-law's every dream come true. I would recommend anyone to stay here and enjoy the beauty of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank chikstr1
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
We are all about creating the magic and memories here at Gramercy. It truly warms my heart to hear of your recent experience and passion for Gramercy. I shared your review with Michelle and the team, all were overjoyed with your connection to the property and the impact it had on your experience. We truly look forward to welcoming the family back for next years Anniersary...or perhaps any siblings? Please do keep in touch and let me know when your travels bring you back to Gramercy!

Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 September 2013

My husband and I are just getting back from an incredible weekend at the Gramercy Park Hotel, where we celebrated our first anniversary.

The staff, especially one staff memeber named Kevin, really rolled out the red carpet for us all weekend to help us celebrate - First, he upgraded our room to a suite overlooking the park, next he sent up a delicious anniversary cake. And finally, he arranged a private candle-lit champagne toast for us on the terrace with a cheese and meat plate, strawberries and more.

Everyone we encountered this weekend was so kind and the room was incredible- we will definitely be returning to celebrate year 2.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Wow, what a way to celebrate an Anniversary, nothing like a candle lit toast on the terrace. I am so pleased that Kevin connected with you and was able to arrange such a memorable experience for you and yours. The first one is always a memorable one, but we look to be able to top it for your second! Please do keep in touch and let me know when your travels bring you back to Gramercy!

Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My husband and I recently stayed 4 nights at this hotel, and really enjoyed it. The room was beautifully decorated and comfortable. It had a unique, almost European feel to it. The furnishings and decor were such that we almost felt as though were staying in someone's home rather than a urban hotel room. The bed was outstanding- so comfortable with unbelievably soft sheets. The evening turn down service was a special touch- curtains closed for us, bedside candles lit, weather forecast card on the pillow. Also nice was the access to Gramercy Park, which was a nice spot for a morning stroll.

We did not get to experience the restaurant or bars, but we did order room service twice. Both times the food arrived promptly and exactly as ordered. And everything tasted wonderful! I do wish they would consider serving a larger size soft drink because the tiny bottles they brought were not enough to satisfy thirst, but other than that no complaints.

The location is not that central to most of the main tourist attractions, but you aren't that far from the Union Square subway station and there were always taxis in front of the hotel. One thing we really enjoyed was the Union Square outdoor market set up in the same square that the subway station is located in. Not sure of the schedule of this market, but we stopped there on weekdays and weekends both. It is definitely worth checking out and is about a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

This hotel met and exceeded my expectations and was a nice, relaxing base for exploring this great city.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kamieberry
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Wow Thanks Kamie! We appreciate the positive feedback about the property, sounds like you were really able to enjoy the hotel along with the life around Gramercy. The Farmers Market truly is great....I love going over there to buy Khale for my morning shakes....they're delicious by the way. Gramercy truly is a convienent location and stones throw away from it all. Our secluded location, keeps the street traffic quiet and excitement subtle, until night time at Rose Bar of course. Thank you for your attention to our turn down. We really focus in on the allure of Gramercy by taking down the lights and lighting your candles bedside, for that evening ambiance! We truly look forward to welcome you back....please keep in touch and let me know when you will be back....Congrats on the game last night....looks like the Cowboys are off to a great start!!

East Meadow, New York
Reviewed 6 September 2013

My Finacee and I have stayed here numerous times in the past 4 years. The hotel has a style like no other. The rooms are amazing, from the design to the comfort. The staff is always professional, helpful but very friendly as well. The staff makes you feel important and special and "not just another guest".

I highly recommend the Gramercy Park hotel. Definitely grab a drink at Jade bar and also check out Rose Bar late night. The bartender's are attentive and give great service.

There are some places that just make you feel great and the GPH is one of them. This hotel is a cut above the rest!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Hello Ryan - thank you so much for sharing! It was such a pleasure to read your review this morning and share it with the team. We truly focus to stay a cut above the rest, so that your for recognizing our effort. Certainly, your Gramercy experience is not complete until you have enjoyed a signature cocktail from one of our mixologists at Rose or Jade Bar, so glad you enjoyed one! Should your travels bring you back to New York in the near future, please reach out to me directly so that I may ensure you are well taken care of.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I have reason to stay in NY every month for the past few years and have tried lots of interesting hotels. This is definitely the best all rounder I have found . It is consistently top notch . Fabulous location , close enough to Union Square but not too close , convenient to subways and a lot of amazing restaurants , really cool rooms , the Rose Bar which gets really interesting in the evening and is really a mini club ( remember to get your name added to the guest list when booking ) and has some great cocktails to try . Finally , and this is probably the most difficult and also most precious thing to find in a NY hotel - great friendly staff with a service ethos . The fact that I remember names is not a tribute to my memory , but that the folks there make a great impression! Julian , Joe , Laura , Patrick and Andy , the mixologists ! The turn down service includes lighting a bedside candle - how nice is that . The crowd hanging out there is generally chic , elegant and fun , without any of the madness you can find elsewhere. I doubt you will be disappointed if you stay there .

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Hello Adrian! Thank you so much for your positive feedback. I was pleased to hear that you felt this was the best well rounded hotel you have been to in New York. It certainly is no secret that we feature one of the top dining venues in Maialino that NYC has to offer, not to mention Rose Bar, one of the finest exclusive nightlife destinations in the city. I also can't thank you enough for recognizing some of the team members that made your Gramercy experience a memorable one. Should your travels bring you back to New York, please reach out to me directly so that I may ensure you are well taken care of.