“My Favorite Small Hotel in the City”

Gramercy Park Hotel
Ranked #87 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“My Favorite Small Hotel in the City”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

GPH is great from the moment the doorman greets you. Friendly, warm, low-key, yet stylish place. the lobby scent from the Le Labo candles is fantastic and the rooms are like a big velvet hug. Rooms are cozy with eclectic decor. Really cool. The bathrooms are a bit small, but not a problem at all. Roof deck is a great place to get a drink or a causal meal while taking in the fresh air and the staff has always been helpful, friendly and approachable. Have stayed here on 4 separate occasions and I like it just as much each time. Feel like I am living in the city when I am there.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SFtoNY8
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Frist impressions are KEY, making them at the front door is so crucial, so I am pleased to hear that you connected with our doorman, they truly are fabulous! I love your metaphor about our rooms being a "Big Velvet Hug", I think Im going to adapt that phrase....I like it that much! Looking forward to welcome you back to the property very soon. Kepp in touch and let me know when your travels bring you back to Gramercy so we can lay on another Velvet Hug!

Daniel Entenberg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Instead of opting to stay in a Midtown hotel, i relied on a few friends recommendations and booked at the Gramercy Park Hotel and I have to admit I was very pleasantly surprised.
The rooms are quite spacious for New York, I stayed in a Lexington King and the hotel is a hip place, trendy with very funky rooms and well equipped in room bars. Lobby is quite nice with a fire place in the winter and the furniture in the lobby is reorganised almost dally, which gives a new identity to the room almost every time you walk in. Door staff is friendly and the hotel has two bars on the ground floor, the Jade Bar and the Rose Bar. The latter which is also a favourite nightspot of the NYC connoisseurs. Staff has been very friendly and professional from the time of booking until my checkout and their response to all services were prompt and exceeding requirements in some cases. Would definitely stay there again during my next visit and I'll have to take a walk in Gramercy Park, to which the access is a perk of staying at the hotel, as the park is usually closed to the public.

Room Tip: i would recommend a higher floor room as in all New York Hotels to avoid the street noise, although...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Here at Gramercy we love to surprise and delight, so hearing that you were is just harmonious! Glad you were able to experience all aspect of Gramercy inclusive of Rose Bar, sounds like you really enjoyed it. One of our great amenities is exclusive access to New Yorks ONLY private park, what a beautiful spot! Looking forward to welcome you back to the hotel very soon!!

Melbourne,Australia
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Stayed here for eleven nights during xmas new year. It was our wedding anniversary and we were greeted with champagne and a beautiful raspberry cake in our room which was such a surprise.
We were given a wonderful corner room away from the lift.
We had been in the lobby a number of times on previous visits to NYC which is superb with a fire in winter, xmas tree ,chandelier etc. and always wanted to stay here. We were not disappointed. The room was elegant and had everything you needed great bar fridge,strong hot shower and bath ,superbly comfortable beds ,beautiful soft towels,robes etc.and were quiet even though we were on the lexington avenue side.
The staff and concierge were so accommodating and helpful. Very conveniently,off the lobby is Maialinos a superb Italian restaurant which does great breakfast and excellent take away coffee ( Coming from Australia we take our coffee seriously!)
Great bar if you wanted cocktail or to just hang out during the day. Cabs are always available out front and walking distance to the wonderful Gramercy/ Flatiron district.
Most definitely will be staying there again on our next visit to NYC.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Thank you for making your way out all the way from Down Under. Gramercy truly is a special place and I am fortunate that you were able to experience it in the fashion you did. Hitting every aspect of Gramercy with Rose Bar and Maialino, you got the full taste. Looking forward to you making the trek back again soon! In the meatime, keep it well in Australia!

Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

At first they gave me a jr suite without a door separator. Couldn't have that w baby so they moved me up to a floor where it was way better. Not sure why they did that and I was annoyed but the room on maybe the 12th floor was ultimately better and we were happy w the blackout curtains and separator so baby and I could sleep in pEACe!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Thank you for your post. My apologies with any confusion upon arrival. Your reservation did not specifiy against any connecting door, although I am glad that we quickly relocated your room to something more comfortable for you and your family. I have 2 little ones at home and know the importance of peace and quiet. Looking forward to welcome you back to Gramercy very soon!

Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My wife and I, plus another couple, spent New Year's Eve at the Gramercy Park Hotel for the first time. We didn't know exactly what to expect, but from information received from friends familiar with the Hotel, we were optimistic. Well, we were overjoyed at the entire experience. Everyone was very friendly, and totally professional, from the doormen to the desk people, as well as the concierge, and chamber maids. Before dinner we strolled through Gramercy Park itself, which is a very special oasis in the middle of New York City. We are all from the City, but this was a new, great experience for us all.
I was especially impressed with the elegance and unique design of all aspects of the hotel. The lobby, with its big Christmas tree and actual wood burning fireplace, plus the lovely artwork, is totally warm and inviting. Our rooms were decorated as though individually appointed. I enjoyed all the different lighting effects, both throughout the hotel as well as in our room. Even the lighting in the bathroom was effective, but functional!
Onepiece of good luck - since we drove from Staten Island, there was even street parking, because it was a holiday - quite an amenity in Manhattan...
Of course, dinner at Maialino on New Year's Eve was outstanding in all respects. And after dinner, sitting on the couch by the fire in the lobby with an aperitif, and with good friends, was the perfect way to start 2014. We are looking forward to booking our next New Year's Eve there again! Thanks to everyone at the Gramercy Park!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Hello Domenick! Thank you for your beautiful review about the property. Can't think of a better place to spend New Years than Gramercy! Then only thing that could make it better would be sharing it with friends, which it sounds you did just that. Between Maialino and Rose Bar, you go tthe full experience. Looking forward to welcome you back to GPH again in the New Year!!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

From the moment we walked into the lobby we were made to feel as if we were very special. We stayed for the week of the honeymoon. The room was gorgeous of course, and the hotel is beautiful.

But the best thing by far was the service. A special mention for Darren who was kind, helpful and attentive.

We had a wonderful time and I can't wait to stay again.

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you so much for the great feedback! The entire team here at Gramercy works diligently to deliver superior service to our entire team. We are truly all about the art of personalization, so I thank you for noticing how Darren excelled in his delivery to your stay. Honeymoons are a special time and we are thankful that you have chosen to spend yours with us here at Gramercy! Looking forward to welcome you and yours back again soon. Much health and happiness in the New Year!

north vancouver
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The wife and I had a Christmas break in New York this year and choose the Gramercy Park Hotel for our stay. The hotel is in a fantastic residential neighborhood in the mist of some rather beautiful buildings. It has an old New York feel with a very eclectic decor once you enter. Very nice warm feeling in the lobby. The room we were in a Lexington king was spacious with a nice sitting area and well equipped bathroom. Nicely furnished in a lot of velvet it had a very apartment like feeling which is nice from the regular chain hotel feel . Bathroom was also very traditional with killer water pressure. I'm told by the missus that the products were top shelf. The service was fantastic . We arrived early am form a red eye from the west coast and to my surprise they had a room for us immediately which was greatly appreciated. The restaurant was good with good food excellent drinks and great service. The lobby bar is fantastic with expensive but stiff drinks but a great time and fantastic bartender. The only miss was the door staff some were nice helpful and friendly and some a little too cool for school. Sorry I went to the Knicks game and I did not dress to your standards, can I still please come in. Other then that a great hotel with excellent service. Oh lots of cool places near by . Don't miss Eataly, Pete's Old Town tavern, bar Jamon and of course the fantastic Shake Shack at the nearby park.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Wow, thank you so much for the fabulous feedback! It sounds like you got a great taste of Gramercy not to mention the surrounding areas of Madison Sqaure Park....whats a visit without a pop over to Shake Shack!! So glad to hear that you loved the shower pressure. While many hotels keep it misty, we know how much guests love that strong pressure, so that you for noticing. Looking forward to welcome you back again soon.