“Nice place to stay”

Gramercy Park Hotel
Ranked #91 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I loved the gramercy park hotel. Friendly staff, comfy beds, great location in the quiet of gramercy park near union square. I stayed two nights with my parents. We booked two queen rooms. Generally the queen rooms overlook the courtyard. I requested a room overlooking the park for my parents as it was a special birthday treat for my mother. Much to my parents delight they had a fab room overlooking the park. The Italian restaurant is excellent as well. Only negative, hard to read the numbers in the elevator due to the dim lighting. Love this hotel.

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Mariaoconnnor
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

So pleased to hear you and your parents had such a wonderful time at the Hotel. We LOVE curating special occasions, having your parents experience the view that is Gramercy Park was a sure way to surprise and delight them! Can't wait to welcome you and the family back again for another outstanding Gramercy experience.

All the best,

Daniel Entenberg

There are newer reviews for Gramercy Park Hotel

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

we had an amazing time at the GPH, The cocktails at the rose bar are just to good you cant have just one.
All the staff were very helpful and friendly. The room and the surprise cake were so lovely it really help to make our wedding that bit more special.
Our family and friends that came up to our room said that they would love to stay there if they came back to New York. Its very special place there and we would love to come back, the smell of the scented were intoxicating and cant wait for our next trip back

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jools0001
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Wow! Thanks for the great feedback....I tend to have the same problem at Rose Bar, 1 cocktail is never enough, they are absolutely delicious! SO pleased that you enjoyed the surprise we sent up for you....always great to have that WOW moment.
Please do keep in touch and don't forget to grab one of our candles on your next visit....its the easiest way to take Gramercy home with you....they literally take you back!

All the best,

Daniel Entenberg

Reviewed 15 April 2014

This Hotel is my favorite hotel in NYC. With such a high amount of turnover and competition in Manhattan, accomplishing what Gramercy Park Hotel has is no small feat! Everything about this place is sublime! It truly is an oasis and refuge in such a busy, and bustling city! From the moment you check in until the minute you leave the service is unparalleled. Every detail, from the bathrooms, to the room service, to the linens on the bed is met with such a wonderful understanding of what a discerning traveler desires. The restaurant and bars in the hotel are first rate and the Rose Bar is especially chic! If I ever have a choice where I stay in NYC this is my place! For NYC it is such a quiet hotel with very restful rooms. You won't be disappointed in the Gramercy Park Hotel!

Room Tip: The Suites are definitely worth the extra money!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jeremy H
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Hi Jeremy! Talk about a perfect stay! Unparalled service, quiet rooms, and of course the Rose Bar are all top reasons to stay and keep coming back to Gramercy. We'll certainly share your feedback with the team as reviews like these are what keeps the team motivated to continue performing at such a high level. We look forward to welcoming you back to Gramercy soon!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

My daughter and I stayed for 2 nights in April in a Lexington King. Our room was beautiful.

I chose the Gramercy Park hotel for 2 reasons: Maialino restaurant and private Gramercy park access.

Overview
This hotel has a rich history plus the interiors (delightfully unique) were designed by artist Julian Schnabel. This hotel is filled with so many beautiful details...Venetian chandelier, original artworks everywhere, coffered ceiling made from repurposed Cypress wood. I love the way the hotel smells; they burn a candle with a woodsy scent made especially for the hotel by Le Labo. You can visit the gated Gramercy Park by asking the doorman to walk you over there (magnolia trees were in bloom).

Our Room
Our room (1509) was really large, about 300 sq. ft., and included a sitting area with a red velvet sofa and large leather table. The 3 windows had warm red velvet drapes, dark wood Venetian blinds AND blackout shades. Every detail in the room was a pleasure to look at. My favorites were the stunning red velvet headboard with nailhead and tapestry detailing and the dark pink and cream area rug.

Some of the Reasons We Really Enjoyed Our Stay
Super friendly staff (our first impression was that everyone was happy), great bath products (the Aesop citrus rind lotion smelled fabulous), plush robe and slippers, well functioning in-room temperature control, soft bed linens and good feather pillows, immaculate housekeeping, really fast email response from the reservations department, and our room request was honored.

Location
The neighborhood is quiet and feels very safe. It is about a 4 block walk to the trains N and R (will take you to Central Park). There is a grocery store and CVS pharmacy a couple of blocks away. It is about a $10 ride to the theatre area. Easy walk to Madison Square Park.

Regarding Maialino
Fantastic Roman cuisine. Most likely you will need reservations well in advance. Our favorite items were: brioche roll with caramelized brown sugar topping at breakfast and the salumi misti (includes house made mortadella) and pasta Bolognese (they add cream to the ragu).

In Comparison
I tend to like hotels listed on the Mr. and Mrs. Smith website. Over the past few years, I have stayed at the Bowery, Nomad, Marlton, and Mark. Overall, I like Gramercy Park the best because the lobby and rooms have a luxe bohemian vibe and the staff made us feel really welcome.

Note
Initially I was hesitant to book this hotel because on the website the rooms looked overly colorful and I wasn't sure how I would feel in a room with so much red. As it turned out, the color in the room was not overwhelming, the walls are painted blue 5/6 of the way up and then they are white, as is the ceiling. The white combined with the dark hardwood floors balanced out all of the color. Plus, much of the red is not a true red but a warm red/dark pink.

Drawbacks
No window in bathroom. Room is showing signs of wear and tear (crumbling plaster around window). Shower head and water pressure are not great. Limited view. Meager bath towels.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor and room with sofa.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to give such thorough feedback for us and other travelers. There's really nothing like strolling through Gramercy Park in full bloom. Between Le Labo and Aesop we have the best smelling and quality products in NYC, glad you enjoyed them both. Every detail of the aesthetic in the rooms were carefully thought out, it's truly is a pleasure to represent Julian Schanbel's design here at Gramercy. Sounds like you were also able to enjoy a couple of different parts of the extensive menu in Maialino, makes my mouth water reading it. Thank you also for bringing the issues in the bathroom to our attention, our team is diligently working on improving these opportunities as we speak. I look forward to welcoming you and your daughter back to Gramercy soon.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I have stayed here a couple of times and it never disappoints. I really love the decor and the food is great. The bars are excellent as well. Just beware it's very pricey. I booked another date in May since I will be in the city on business again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Glad to hear we were spot on again, thank you for your continued loyalty. We love our repeat guests and promise to continue providing the best service and product for you to enjoy. Rates tend to be slightly higher this time of year due to high demand, but come see us in July or August when the city slows down a bit! We look forward to welcoming you back next month.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We had an engagement party and the hotel and event manager made it fun, sophisticated and happy for our daughter! The Rose Bar room was beautiful, the hotel is so peaceful, food very good (need to contract specifically for quantity of passed hors d'oeuvres to be sure there is plenty), and the service was exceptional. Guests staying in the hotel were so pleased with the old world charm of the rooms. The attention to our many details was exceptional and it was quite perfectly executed! Very professional, not inexpensive, with charm and caring for a great, sophisticated party and stay.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Suzanne,

Impeccable, professional, gracious, and warm! What wonderful feedback to share with the team regarding your stay and event. The Rose Bar certainly is a very special place to hold such a memorable time for your daughter and family. I'm glad we delivered exactly what you were looking for. We look forward to welcoming you back for more celebrating or a relaxing night away from home soon.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

The location of the Gramercy Park Hotel is great - away from the hustle and bustle of NYC on a quiet street. It is within a short walk of many sights, shopping, and great dining. The double-double room and bathroom were small, but we didn't spend much time in the room. The beds were very comfortable. The room was starting to show some wear and tear and could use some updating. Our room had a terrible view overlooking a water tower and other buildings. As for service - we only had nightly turndown twice over our four night stay. The bellmen were frequently absent from the front; they rarely greeted us, opened the door, or hailed a cab. We've had much better service at other NYC 5-star hotels. Dining at Maialino was very good - we had a delicious breakfast. Overall, it was a nice stay but we would look to stay elsewhere on future visits.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Good Afternoon, thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay overall but must say I'm disappointed to read that we didn't leave you feeling over the moon about Gramercy. It is our number one priority to ensure our guests are greeted with a warm and friendly welcome and that our guests are looked after attentively. I can assure you that it is not the norm for service to not be delivered in this fashion, as you can read in many other reviews. Our deluxe double bedded rooms only exist facing the interior, however we do have many other king and suite options with king beds and pull out sofas. We will make note of your preferences for future stays to ensure one of our other room types are booked for you. We can also guarantee nightly turndown service, possibly the do not disturb tassle was left on the door by mistake? Please reach out to me for all future stays so I may personally look after you.