“Oasis in Manhattan”

Ranked #90 of 467 Hotels in New York City
MA
“Oasis in Manhattan”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Both being a boutique hotel and not being part of an even upscale hotel chain results in the GPH providing special hospitality and extra touches that make B & Bs so desirable and that corporate-owned properties seem incapable of providing.

These qualities make the GPH the hotel-of-choice for A-to-Z List celebrities, who also enjoy haunting the Rose Bar in the lobby. Learning of Lindsay Lohan and Selena Gomez staying there on separate occasions inspired joking about whether Hillary Duff has ever been a guest.

The GPH experience commences with one of the "nice young men" who are stationed out front warmly greeting you and bringing your luggage to the very welcoming lobby.

The limited outside noises and smells of the upscale neighborhood completely disappear in this space with enough dark wood, stones (including a large fireplace), and dark velvet upholstered furniture to evoke thoughts of a medieval castle. There is also quiet background music and a nice spa-like scent in the air.

The greeting that Joe provided at the well-staffed front desk was so warm that learning that our room was not ready was not at all annoying. Immediately being asked for a cell number to call when the room was ready and having a bellman standing by to store our luggage in the interim further validated this choice of hotel.

This wait paid off with arriving at the indescribably wonderful 750 square-foot Park View Premier Suite, which is twice the size of many New York City apartments.

The nearly sound-proof quality of the suite competed with the elegant furnishings, art from the famous Warhol-centric collection of the GPH, and oodles of extras. A very comfy spa robe/slipper set, a special secondary shower head that came to be known as the "bidet nozzle," and fabled Aesop brand amenities contributed a nice spa-like feel to the space.

Further, the heavy velvet curtains and French doors with thick glass that separated the bedroom and living room areas of the suite allowed watching television without disturbing the nap of my suitemate in the bedroom.

This suite offered the additional benefit of a perfect view of the very serene Gramercy Park itself, use of which is limited to residents of the neighborhood and guests of GPH.

Returning to the room on Saturday night to find turn-down service that included refreshed amenities and a softly burning candle added to the enjoyment of the stay.

This terrific weekend further included a tasty Italian dinner at Maialino in the hotel lobby. The decor was quite nice, but background music and more subtle lighting would have been nice touches.

Our entrees of cod and pasta with pesto were well-prepared and flavorful. Further, we appreciated that our server advised us when ordering that the pasta required a little extra time.

The chocolate croissant bread pudding with hazelnut gelato was slightly disappointing. The bread pudding was less rich than the traditional form of that treat, and the gelato had the almost certainly related flaws of being more creamy and lacking as strong a flavor as true gelato. The fact that the flavor became a little sharper after several minutes suggested as well that it was not being stored at an optimal temperature.

The GPH passed a couple of checkout-related tests the next morning. The clerk politely resolved confusion regarding the bill in our favor, and we learned on contacting the hotel regarding a forgotten personal item that the hotel already mailed it to us.

All of this boils down to the GPH being the perfect choice for NYC visitors who want a conveniently located ideal oasis after enduring the smells, noise, and crowds of that metropolis to enjoy the scads o' well-known and lesser-known treats that more than offset those unpleasant experiences.

3 Thank MAtraveller87
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Such a pleasure to have connected with you personally regarding your experience at Gramercy! Your feedback truly means a lot, especially coming from a seasoned traveler such as yourself. You are accustomed to great hotels, so ranking so high on your list and reading about your amazing experience is just music to our ears!! Looking forward to welcome you back to the property very soon. Please do keep in touch and let me know when your travels bring you south again.

Daniel Entenberg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This hotel is sexy and romantic with timeless, artistically eclectic detailing that fills the senses. Forget the ultra modern...this is richly plush, with a controlled modernism. Wi-fi...no problem. Room service...delicious! Close to anything. A magical location in NYC with VIP access to Gramercy Park, the only private park in the city...absolutely beautiful. A hospitable staff willing to do anything to make your stay comfortable and effortless. A home away from home.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
So pleased to hear that we are your home away from home, truly means a lot. The property is remarkable on all fronts, design, service and facilities, so I was glad to hear that all worked out so well for you! I see you came to us from Vegas....I lived there for 3 1/2 years....great place, miss the weather! Should your travels bring you back to New York in the near future, please reach out to me directly so that I may personally ensure you are well taken care of again!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We had the pleasure to celebrate our marriage 4/25/14 at the Gramercy Park Hotel. Since countless hours of preparing went into making this event possible, I think it would be only most appropriate to take five minutes to write a review about the experience we had at the GPH. "Happy" is an absolute understatement. The entire GPH stuff, from the moment we stepped foot into the hotel until we waved goodby didn't just do what you would expect from a five star hotel. Each and everybody took it on their own to make us feel like a king and queen, always going the extra mile! But there is one person we need to lift above and beyond any praise, and that would be Michelle Condon, the special events manager. Her professionalism, knowledge and work-ethic were the icing on the cake. She was the glue that not only held it all together but most importantly she always was there for us, months in advance, guiding us through the making of a production, only to let it all unfold without the feeling of a production - smooth, magical and exactly what we always had envisioned. We will be carrying the most beautiful memories with us for the rest of our life thanks to the GPH staff and beautiful facilities!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Wow Patricia! Thank you so much for your beautiful words about the team here at Gramercy. The Terrace is such a special space and I am so pleased that you were able to have experienced it for such a special moment in your lives. Michelle was over the moon when I shared with her your feedback about your experience. She has such passion in what she does. Hearing the impact she had on you makes it all worthwhile.

Looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Irvine, California
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I loved all the attention to detail, from the lighting, scents, bath products, and event the candle that is magically lit on the bedside table every evening. The staff is very nice and helpful. The food is great, each time I have been I opt to enjoy a night in to order room service and just enjoy the comfort of the hotel. I had to take picture of everything before I unpacked to capture how amazing the room looked before I ruined it with toiletries and phone chargers, etc. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking for more than a generic hotel experience. The adjacent Gramercy Park is also a great perk, I had a lovely moment eating lunch outside on a bench, next to blooming flowers in the sunshine.

Room Tip: Room with view of Gramercy Park
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Hello Csilla - Thank you so much for your fabulous feedback about Gramercy. I am over joyed with your excitement about the property. The rooms and ambiance are unique, unlike anything I have every experienced. The team throughout the property work really hard to deliver memorable experiences, so hearing of your enjoyment is music to my ears!! Looking forward to make Gramercy your new home in NYC!!

Until Next Time,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Had a quick one night stay for my birthday and was reasonably impressed with this hotel. Firstly the service of the concierge is brilliant, they are super friendly, very helpful on the phone (so I was told by my girlfriend who booked) and extremely efficient. We were checked-in under 5min and checked out even quicker at the end of our stay. Having stayed in many hotels i wasn't overly impressed with the room, it was nice but not outstanding. We were given a nice view of Gramercy Park and the mini bar is overstocked with premium liquor. A very nice touch was the birthday cake and bottle of champaign which was bought to the room not long after we got there! "Thanks"

The hotel restaurant is amazing! The food quality was second to none, I had dinner (italian), brunch / breakfast and was very happy with both meals. The hotel also has a really nice exclusive lounge called the 'Rose Bar' which was a very overpriced cocktail bar... but it didn't surprise me, the words exclusive, cocktails and New York = expensive. Either way the DJ was cranking the tunes and the room was filled with people and it was a lot of fun. My personally favourite advantage of the hotel was access into Gramercy Park.

Overall It was a good experience and would recommend the hotel to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the park and put your name down when booking the room for the guest li...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Josh - Thank you for sharing your feedback on the property. Sounds like the service you experienced was outstanding, always a plus and the team did a great job recognizing your birthday with a beautiful amenity sent to your room along with a nice room overlooking the park. I was rather surprised to see that you did not find our room to your liking, certainly the bohemian design may not be for everyone, although we feel as though our amenities inside the room are 5 star caliber. Add to that your window overlooking the only private park in New York city on a quiet tree lined street....again, I am sorry that you did not find it to your liking.
Should your travels bring you back to New York in the near future, please reach out to me so that I may ensure you are well taken care of.

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 27 April 2014

With a master fireplace in the lobby, scented candles everywhere, subdued light and atmosphere, and comfortable-but-a-bit-cramped rooms, I found this hotel perfect for winter in the big apple. Unfortunately, there is no more access to the terrace lounge - but you can still go the next door private park, and sip some drinks at the fancy pink bar. Service was very good.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Winter at Gramercy.....Can't think of a better spot! The warmth of our massive fireplace in the lobby and Rose Bar, certainly greet you from the winter cold in fashion! Add to that the aroma of the wood burning and our signature scent "cade 26".....glad to hear it was to your liking. My apologies you did not find the space in our rooms to your liking.....we have a variety of room layouts. I recommend looking into our Lexington premier rooms or park suites, which would tend to have the added space you may be looking for.
Should your travels bring you back to New York in the near future, please reach out to me directly so that I may ensure you are well taken care of.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Just great feeling, will for sure return here, I was here both in business and with my family and it was a perfect match. If something would be different taken care of is the breakfast which is only servered in the room, it can sounds good but for a family its much better to eat outside the room.
However GPH is just perfect!

Room Tip: Rooms at Gramercy Park is important choice.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hello Henrik - Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We were so happy to hear about your outstanding experience. Gramercy truly is that great mix of business and pleasure. I see that you enjoyed breakfast via In Room Dining, the egg sandwich is my favorite! We actually also have a restaurant on site as well. I know you mentioned there was not, perhaps you may have been mistaken with another property? Maialino, our 3 meal a day venue, is amazing. The is out of this world! In fact their breakfast is voted "Top 5" in New York city! Looking forward to welcome you back to the property very soon.