“Very cool boutique hotel in a great neighborhood.”

Gramercy Park Hotel
Ranked #87 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Very cool boutique hotel in a great neighborhood.”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Just overlooking Gramercy Park, this hotel has been modernly renovated while still maintaining some of the charm of the old hotel. The interior design mixes older finishing with modern lush interiors. We stayed in a suite and the couch and the rooms were luxe and amazing. The bed and linens are incredible. I had the best night sleep all year. Well worth the price if you are looking for a special stay in the city. You will feel like a VIP.

Room Tip: If you are expecting a view of the park or the Avenue, you will pay more for those rooms. Make sure...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Daniel E, Chelsea Cox - Director of Front of House Operations at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Racehlevine16 you are a VIP and I'm thrilled to hear you felt the love! One of our top goals here at Gramercy is to ensure all of our guests feel special and important. Thank you for sharing! Julian Schanble certainly had the idea of mixing the Renaissnace with contemporary vibe in the rooms and I'd have to agree with you; Anachini makes dream worthy linens! Hope to have you back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Naousa
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Great & stylish hotel at chic Gramercy Park in the heart if Manhattan. Fantastic rooms, friendly & attentive personnel. And on top, trendy bars if you travel without kids. Overall, the place to be. If you book directly at the hotel you will get free Wifi, which will cost you otherwise $16 a day. Only recommendation: for a hotel of this standing complimentary Wifi should be a MUST.

• Stayed August 2014
Daniel E, Chelsea Cox - Director of Front of House Operations at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Dievole66 - Thank you for your review, I am happy to read that you enjoyed the hotel and the service was attentive and friendly. Service is our top priority here at Gramercy so we appreciate the recognition! Please note we have several packages that include wifi, feel free to reach out to me directly so that we can find a package that best suites your traveling needs. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We booked this hotel because of the area it resides and we also had come to the the bar months before and really enjoyed it. We booked thru Amex Fine Resorts and Hotels so we could get the perks added. We did get a double upgrade and the other general add ons.
Our room was not ready until almost 4 so we hopped on the hotels free bikes that sit right outside and took a spin to all of our favorite hot spots in the city. I think the biking was the highlight of our visit. The bikes were really good rides and handled perfect, It was our anniversary so we were feeling really happy. The area is amazing. It was a glorious Saturday morning. Union square 1 block away had its market going and is truly a sight to see. They now have a new indoor outdoor restaurant and bar that is wonderful. After hours on our bikes we were called and told our room was ready. It was worth waiting for as it faced the park and was much larger than what we booked. The rooms have a funky decor with old and new mixed together. The hotel is a little dark in that you never feel much sunshine but never the less a wonderful place to be. Guests at the hotel are allowed to visit the private park right outside the door. It reminded me of London and the private neighborhood parks. The rooms could use a paint job or better cleaning, (the baby blue walls were filthy). The furniture was comfortable and the black out shades were great! Shower was terrific.
The restaurant down stairs was better for afternoon snacks and wine than what we ate at breakfast/brunch the next day. I kind of think this restaurant is over rated and wished we had ventured out in the neighborhood for Sunday brunch. There are LOTS of options.
The staff was pleasant and the vibe was low key. At night the bar gets busy and comes alive. All of the subways are close by so easy access to every where. We will stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: park side mid to high floors.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear bobolito, sounds like you really got to enjoy it all at Gramercy! I am glad to hear the double upgrade was worth the wait, while we had other categories available at check in time, being able to face the park certainly adds a special feel. Our bikes have been the talk of the town all summer, I can imagine it was perfect to cruise around Union Square and our neighborhood as there certainly is a lot to see! While Maialino is one of the top restaurants in the city, our Concierge team is happy to assist in finding other options for you in the future as well. There are countless wonderful places that are nearby. I will have the walls inspected in your room, while we are meant to look rustic, the room certainly shouldn't feel dirty. Please know that I will have this rectified immediately. I am excited to welcome you back as I understand you will return! Do let me know when you are coming so that I may personally look after you.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2014

room was great, location is central. not to far from Soho. decor and bar scene is great. it's worth asking to see the terasse and the Warhol collection and the room with the 4000 lights bulbs. the italian restaurant is amazing and well priced. service was perfect.

internet not complimentary, still insulting in 2014!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello eric_gignac, thank you for the glowing review! It brings a smile to my face every time I read our guest truly got to experience everything we have to offer. From the decor and artwork to the award winning Maialino and centralized location, we really do provide everything you are looking for when staying in New York City. The Warhol Room is one of my personal favorites of the hotel as well, glad you were able to enjoy! In regards to the internet we do have several different packages that include internet, just for the future. Do let me know next time you are coming to NYC so that I may personally welcome you back! Look forward to seeing you soon!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This hotel is very smart, smooth and sophisticated. Also very dark. I always say that the darker the lobby, the trendier the hotel. This is true of the Gramercy Park Hotel, although the design is more old school (roaring twenties) than anything you might expect at, say, the Standard. That said there are some amazing contemporary paintings dotted around the ground floor lobby and bar, such as Damien Hurst and Warhol. Quite impressive!

There is one more point to make regarding the said darkness, however. On arrival it seems that the outer brickwork is being inspected and so there was a scaffolding construction around the building, with translucent sheeting. This covered up all the windows somewhat, making the atmosphere perhaps a little more gloomy than intended by the interior designers.

The room was very nice, beautiful furniture. Air conditioning unit tended to become noisy at times, but only for a short while. Breakfast was served on the dining table in room (no dining room downstairs). Bathroom was very smart, with cool contemporary lighting, traditional bath and fittings. All very smart.

The facilities at the hotel appeared somewhat limited. There was a cafe/eatery, which seemed rowdy, which we didn't use. We had a drink in the bar downstairs around mid afternoon, having been turned away from the top floor bar owning to a private event. Returning again around 7pm we found both the lobby and the bar packed with (seemingly) non-residents. We were ready to walk out to find a drink elsewhere when luckily two seats at the bar became free. Not impressed that residents have such difficulty in using the hotel facilities like that. Nevertheless the experience, once seated, was enjoyable.

Overall I like the hotel, but I get the impression that guests are a secondary concern to private events and non-residents. Too many people, so not really a quiet hideaway style. It's a boutique-style hotel, I think. Just too busy.

Quirky, modern-traditional fusion. I would return, perhaps once the outer covering has been removed and the top floor bar is open for use.

Room Tip: We booked through American Express Platinum service and received a $100 voucher, free wifi and late...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Serafin2013 - Thank you for taking the time to thoroughly review your stay. We certainly appreciate all of your feedback. I'm thrilled to hear you appreciated the artwork, there really is no other hotel in NYC like Gramercy that couples the Renaissance ambiance with world renown artwork. Julian Schnabel had a specific vision for the hotel and we are pleased to hear when our guests truly acknowledge the beauty we have under our roof. I understand the scaffolding was not what you were expecting. While we undergo the city mandated Local Law 11 inspection of the building, we trust that it does not completely take away from all that we have to offer at Gramercy. In regards to Maialino, it certainly is a busy and sought after restaurant, one of the top in the city! Our concierge team is happy to help with reservations prior to arrival, we do recommend booking Maialino a month in advance if possible. Our beautiful terrace is actually only for private events. However, I am happy to arrange a tour of the space if you would like to see or perhaps even a room service meal or a glass of champagne on the terrace during your next stay. Please feel free to reach out to me directly. Please know that our guests are certainly not secondary, we have several outlets of the hotel that we would love for all of our guests to enjoy. I am happy to be your point of contact during your next stay so that you can experience all of the lovely parts of Gramercy. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Hotel located across the street from a park in quiet neighborhood; room is small but has all of the essentials; large shower/tub in the bathroom but no counter space; outlets are limited to bathroom and desk area so ok if you don't mind charging your phone in the bathroom while charging your computer from the desk. Staff very friendly and hotel and rooms are very clean. Overall nice experience for the price.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JBW66
Daniel E, Directof of Front of House Operations - Chelsea Cox at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Hi JBW66, thank you for your feedback, I hope you received my email as well. I do apologize again for the inconvenience with the outlets. We have completed the project of adding bedside outlets to all of our rooms, so please know that on your next visit it will be much easier to charge your devices. We do have several different room types as well if you'd like to explore other options, I am happy to assist. I'm so glad to hear that the staff were friendly, we truly love what we do here at Gramercy and I'm glad that shines through. I look forward to personally welcoming you back soon.
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

The Gramercy Park Hotel is the best hotel I've stayed at in NYC and I've stayed at at least 4 others.

The location was awesome and I loved that it was away from the busyness of Tourist Attractions.

And the Gramercy Park! This private park is beautiful and so peaceful amongst the busy city. We told the gentlemen working that we wanted to go the park, he walked us to the park, unlocked the door and locked us in! We walk and sat for a while, listening to the birds, we watched the squirrels climb up the trees, and just sat in silence. So calming to do! All we had to do is call him when we were ready to leave!

The staff was very polite and accommodating!

Next time we stay which will be in October for our wedding, we will make time to ride the super chic gold GPH bicycles!

I recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a 5 star experience and wants to see a different side of the city!

• Stayed August 2014
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you so much Laura....you are so kind in your description of your experience with us. Gramercy is truly in its own bubble, amongst the high energy that is New York City! Escaping into the Park...how great is that! I too find myself taking walks in there as a nice retreat from the day....it truly is calming...the birds, flowers, squirrels....so peaceful. Looking forward to welcome you back in October. Please reach out to me directly should you need assistance in securing your accommodations so that I may personally ensure you are well taken care of.

All the best,