“Good location, Small rooms, GREAT SERVICE”

Renaissance New York Hotel 57
Ranked #334 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My first impression of the hotel wasn't great. You check in on the first floor that is pretty unappealing having awkward drapes attempting to hide back of house area. You take an elevator up to the lobby lounge area which is a pretty cool spot.

The staff is GREAT and really helpful. You are greeting with a hello and a smile from everyone that works there, even engineering. The rooms are small but this hotel is usually underpriced for its location. The rooms are tiny even for NYC's standards but I didnt spend much time in my room.

It located walking distance near many stores such as Kenneth Cole, H&M, and bloomingdale's which my wife loved.

In summary, Good location, Small rooms, GREAT SERVICE. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Greg M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,369)

Reviewed 12 January 2014

The water pipes run right beside my room. Every few minutes it sounds like I am about to be flushed down to the lobby from the 13th floor. The wood panel covering the Hvac unit beside my bed looks like someone went after it with a crowbar, it is hanging on one side by the last couple of screws. The tv keeps losing the signal. The lobby/bar look really nice, and the location is great. Thankfully I keep a set of earplugs in my travel bag that I'm about to go find.

• Stayed: January 2014
RenaissanceNYHotel57, General Manager at Renaissance New York Hotel 57, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. The experience you described surly does not meet our standards and I am sorry for your frustration. Partners like yourself help us improve every day as we share the feedback with our associates in a training environment.

We hope to welcome you back to demonstrate the qualities of the first class resort you expected. If I can ever personally assist you please feel free to contact me directly at manny.rappenecker@renaissancehotels.com

Reviewed 12 January 2014

The hotel is well located on 57St. This makes easy access to subway for JFK aiport. Around the hotel you have obviously a lot of shopping opportunities including Bloomingdales. There are some neighborhood diners around if you not feel like dining in the hotel. The hotel itself is stylish and the staff was friendly. The rtoom was clean and only a bit aged.

We may stay there gain.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MnMadventures

Thank you for your post about your stay at the Renaissance New York Hotel 57! We pride ourselves on providing our customers with the ultimate New York experience and are thankful to be able to interact with such kind and generous guests. We are happy that you found our hotel to be such an ideal spot. Thanks for taking the time to share this review!

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed for 3 nights at the Renaissance Hotel New York after our usual agent booked after his trip. It's nothing too special but the staff were very attentive. On departure I had left 2 pictures which myself and a good friend had purchased from a seller in New York.
When I contacted the hotel they didn't waste any time in sending the items back to the UK for free, brilliant service and highly recommended.
After all, who goes to NYC to sit in a hotel?!?!?

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Stayed in this hotel in November for 3 nights--needed the nights to keep my Marriott Gold member status. I even booked and paid for a "junior suite" as I did not want to count on a complimentary upgrade being available. To our disappointment, we discovered the only difference between a standard room and junior suite is the addition of a couch and the square footage it takes up. The couch faced a wall, NOT the TV, so you had to watch TV in the bed which did face the TV. ( By the way, the bed pillows were extremely uncomfortable.) Also, there was no light over the couch so you could not even sit there to read. We ended up using it to put our suitcases on. The other weird feature of the room is that the bathroom walls don't go all the way to the ceiling. So, if your room mate gets up in the night and turns on the bathroom light, it lights up the bedroom too. Finally, we were unlucky enough to get the room directly across from the ice maker and elevator (funny way to treat Gold members). This added up to 3 very bad nights sleep. The complimentary breakfast was not served on the weekends--they neglected to tell us this until we checked in. That was OK because the one day it was available it was too awful to eat--it was Friday so maybe they did not want to restock with fresh food since they would be closed on the weekend. The last thing I will mention is that if you are a Gold member, you get free internet service although they did not mention this until we were checking out. If you are not a Gold member, you will pay through the nose. If you want a great hotel for less money, stay at the Elysee (same neighborhood) or one of its sister properties.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, ask for a room away from the elevators and ice makers.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank wakefantwo
RenaissanceNYHotel57, General Manager at Renaissance New York Hotel 57, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I truly appreciate the detailed review. The experience you described surly does not meet our standards and I am sorry for your frustration. Partners like you help us improve every day as we share the feedback with our team.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed here Christmas week again, my 2nd time. The people here are well trained and do everything they can to make your stay comfortable. I have no idea what the lady from Italy was talking about below but Ive stayed in many hotels in Italy and most are dumps. This hotel is not. I was upgraded from a smaller room to a suite with a terrace on our 2nd night. Found the wood modular furniture to be very nice and not what you'd expect in a Marriott property. The place couldn't have been cleaner and was in good repair. The only issue we had was in the resteraunt where the folks working there on Christmas day would have obviously rather been someplace else. The location is fantastic and the room rate is usually more than competitive. Not a luxury place but a very nice one.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a terrace esp in good weather.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
RenaissanceNYHotel57, General Manager at Renaissance New York Hotel 57, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you for your post about your fantastic stay at the Renaissance New York Hotel 57! We pride ourselves on providing our customers with the ultimate New York experience and are thankful to be able to interact with such kind and generous guests. We are happy that you found our hotel to be such an ideal spot. Thanks for taking the time to share this review and I will be sure to follow up with the restaurant owners on your comments!

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed over Christmas for 4 days in 2 rooms - one for kids
I am a gold rewards member so had comp club lounge access + wi FI but paid for the upgrade for some reason - ??
We really like the boutique hotel feel so close to subway - 2 blocks without being in the middle of time square or pure tourists traps.
The rooms are cool with nice bathrooms but no full length mirrors - strange
The club lounge was the most disappointing aspect of the hotel. The attendants were not friendly or helpful. They banged around dirty plates + placed dirty silverware out for use on multiple occasions. The food was ok for breakfast but there was nothing after that except some fruit or old popcorn - ridiculous really. The food for purchase was the worst excuse for appetizers I have had in a long time - the crab cakes were frozen , the coconut shrimp were equally un- frozen
I have stayed at many hotels I prefer more , but for location + necessity of 2 rooms it worked out well .

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I truly appreciate the detailed review. The experience you described surly does not meet our standards and I am sorry for your frustration. Partners like you help us improve every day as we share the feedback with our associates in a training environment.