“%100 Honest Review (Long but very helpful)”

Renaissance New York Hotel 57
Ranked #275 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Durham, Nc
“%100 Honest Review (Long but very helpful)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2009

I usually don't write reviews of hotels, but I felt compelled to do so because there are some up here that don't do the hotel justice. I stayed at this hotel the weekend of July 4 with my girlfriend. We both agreed that this is a very nice hotel. For someone who has only been to NY twice, this is the PERFECT location. Lexington ave has plenty of shops, and you are 1-3 blocks from Park, Madison, and Fifth Avenues. Bryant Park, The MOMA and everything you would want to see are close by. There is a subway station on 59th and Lexington Ave. It's also a short walk to Central Park and Times square. You get the midtown feel but without all of the tourist traffic. If you look at the Renaissance in Times Square, you'll find that it is in the heart of Times Square, which means extra congestion and noise all hours of the night. I would much rather walk the 10 short blocks down to Times square.

As for the hotel I got an incredible rate of $179 a night. They are renovating the hotel, and there was a lot of noise in the lobby. but once you get up to your floor you won't hear a thing. They also stopped construction around 5pm and didn't do any on the weekend. We arrived too early to check in and the concierge was kind enough to hold our bags until our room was ready (note- we arrived at 10:45 and there were still tenants in our room, which was why is wasn't ready.) the bellhops were extremely friendly and always greeted us every time they saw us. There is a restaurant in the hotel that also has a lounge and a bar, so it's a good place to relax and have a few cocktails. We didn't get the chance to eat there but the menu looks good. Average prices for a NY restaurant. We stayed in Room 411, which I would highly recommend for any couple. The bathroom was extra spacious, and there was a separate bathtub. there's a large mounted plasma TV in front of the bed. there is also a desk and a couch. I'm not sure if it's pull out, but either way the room is spacious enough for 4 people. I'm a 25 year old male btw. Anyone who says the rooms are small have unrealistic expectations for hotels in NY. It was quiet at night, except for the occasional car horn. But again you are in NY and it's expected. I'm also a light sleeper. I guess the only blemish is that you have to pay $20 for internet but I highly doubt you need it. I just wanted to by some tickets for a party at the last minute. There is a restaurant right next door that offers a good breakfast/brunch for a great price! the total bill was $19 for two people. For my future visits to NY I will be returning to this hotel. By my standards which are high but realistic, I approve of this hotel! I do not suggest the Renaissance in Times Square. It's too busy and you won't get any rest. Please don't miss out!

P.S. Be sure to visit Crumb Bakeshop at the corner of 52nd and Madison. It's delicious.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NCresident87

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2009

Spent the 4th of July weekend at the Renaissance 57. Couldn't beat the price but expected more from a Marriott Renaissance. The hotel is still being remodeled and so the concierge lounge that is much advertised wasn't finished. There was a lot of dust due to the remodeling.

With the exception of one of the front desk managers (Elizabeth), the service was terrible. I never saw a valet or doorman the entire time we were there except one night they were outside smoking. We had to carry our own bags and the only way we got a cab to the airport on Sunday morning was that the desk clerk went out to find one (I gather from her frustration this was not the first time this had happened). The concierge was not helpful at all and didn't seem to know much about the city, on one occasion giving actually wrong information which someone overheard and corrected. The restaurant is very mediocre and the service poor. Breakfast doesn't start until 7:00 making it impossible to get a morning flight and even get a cup of coffee.

As a Marriott gold member I was upgraded to the best available room. If so, I would hate to think how bad a standard room must be. While it was a fairly decent size it was missing many of the amenities you would expect from a Renaissance hotel--no robes, minimal towels, toiletries were not refilled, clean glasses were not put in the room. Although the hotel was recently remodeled, the plugs in the bathroom kept blowing the fuse for the hair dryer. Ended up having to plug it into the lamp to get it to work. I wish Marriott would get with the trend and stop trying to charge exorbitant prices for WiFi connection. We just went to the Starbucks next door and got it for free.

The location is good although its far enough up E57th that there are not a lot of restaurants nearby. The nearest subway station is about 3 long blocks away. Unlike other areas of the city, the streets were pretty deserted after 10:00. For some reason there is music blaring under the entrance to the restaurant which is very annoying.

At $169 per night it was tolerable but I would look definitely look to stay elsewhere for a return trip.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple