“Great for extended stays, families and business travelers”

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square
Ranked #197 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great for extended stays, families and business travelers”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This place was such a pleasant surprise--suites bigger than the average NYC apartment (which is not saying a lot, but still), nice staff, and a lounge area with free, huge buffet breakfast. The rooms have a well-stocked kitchenette; ours even had a crock pot. Many rooms have a view of the Empire State Building. Wireless was reliable, the gym was small but empty and they accept dogs for an extra charge. The hotel is large but the lobby is small enough that it seems more intimate. (I prefer that over a massive, two story lobby.) The lounge area on the higher floor is a great place to spread out if the room starts to feel too small.

The location is fantastic--it's a short walk to the subway, by Bryant park, Times Square, Broadway and Fifth avenue.

We saw many families and international guests while we were there. I think people often stay there for a week or so. It would be great for business travel due to the location and small kitchen.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Empire state building
1 Thank RHObelgrade
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear RHObelgrade:

Thank you for sharing your review of my hotel with TripAdvisor readers. It's nice to hear that you were pleasantly surprised by the size of our rooms. Our comfortable studio suites with kitchenettes do meet most guests’ needs; especially traveling families, guests on business and extended stay guests.

I'm glad you took advantage of our third floor Hearthroom. It's a great space for guests to meet up with family and friends.

It sounds like you had a nice visit to New York City! I hope you'll stay with us again soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Montevideo, Uruguay
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Stayed for a week with the whole family (daughter, husband and grandchild, two more daughters, husband and myself) . Had two rooms at the end of a corridor (floor 17) that had an additional door that closed the end of the corridor for us. We had a two double beds and a double bed and sofa rooms. Both with kitchen, icemaker, coffeemaker, dishwasher and microwave. Buffet breakfast is included. It has options for every taste and ages, and entire room full of hot and cold options. Take the advice of the hotel staff and go down early, although the place is big, it is not enough for such a big hotel. It gets crowded on weekends.
Location is perfect: one block from Broadway, four blocks from Times Square, Byant Park across the street, beautiful in early spring. One block from subway station at Bryant Park with good enough connections. Three blocks from good shopping: Macy's, Manhattan Mall, Uniqlo (don't miss this one), etc.
If your visit is for more than 4 days, don't doubt and buy the 7 day metro card. You will walk a lot, you will be so tired the metro or bus will come handy at the end of the day, or to go from one place to the other.
When you arrive so tired you can't even think of going out to dinner, there is this tiny pizza place half a block from the hotel, crossing 38th street, right after Bryant Market (also good), it's got good and cheap pizza.
If you want to have dinner in Times Square, go early, it gets really crowded and you can wait for more than an hour for a table. We arrived by plane to JFK from South America, had made reservations with Go Airlink Vans, everything went smoothly from and to the airport.
Excellent Wifi throughout the hotel, with some computers in the breakfast area, where you can print your vouchers. Also some tickets for the theater machines. Staff friendly and educated. We could manage to keep a room for a late checkout till 2 o'clock in the afternoon for no additional charge.
A very good experience, as we are used to when we go to a Marriott managed hotel.

Room Tip: High floor have no street noise. Corner rooms can connect through a door on the corridor.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Diana G
Dear Pajaro:

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience at my hotel. It’s so nice to hear that we were able to meet your travel needs. It sounds like your family was able to take in much of what the city has to offer and had a great time in New York City!

Thank you again for recommending my hotel to potential visitors. You made some great recommendations for potential visitors. Your review is very much appreciated.

Athens
Reviewed 21 April 2012

stayed there in April 2012 and everything was great . fantastic location near everything without the hussle and close to the cozy Bryant Park (which we loved) our room was spacious with a convenient disabled bathroom and as a treat there was a marvellous view of the Emprire State Building . we would like to point out the manager's ( thank you Melissa )understanding to satisfy our need to lower the bed to the wheelchair's height (something that most hotels we got in touch with didn't want to bother ) the staff was friendly and helpful , the complimentary breakfast , the free wi-fi and the kitchenette are definetely a plus

1 Thank wheelchair-user1
Dear ioannis94:

Thank you for sharing your review of my hotel with potential visitors. It's nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our location convenient. It sounds like you enjoyed the beginning of springtime in Bryant Park!

I'm glad that taking the bed off of its frame made it possible to get from the wheelchair into bed without any trouble.

I hope you'll visit us again the next time your travels bring you to New York City.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 April 2012

This place was great, the rooms were giant compared to other NYC hotel rooms. I loved the small kitchen and the sitting area was great for looking at the views out our window of Bryant Park.
The free buffet breakfast is worth it, i thought there would just be a small continental buffet but this was an entire room with cold and hot options.

I loved that this hotel is one block from Bryant Park and 1/2 a block from the subway. Very convenient for getting around.

2 Thank wallybat
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Dear wallybat:

Thank you for reviewing my hotel for potential visitors. I'm so glad to hear you found our location convenient and our rooms larger than the average New York City room!

Many guests, like yourself, are pleasantly surprised by our full complimentary breakfast. It's also a great cost saving feature for traveling couples and families.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Stayed here in Dec. 2011 for a business trip. Was a pretty decent hotel and not close to any touristy places. I found it ridiculous to try to get a cab in front of the hotel at almost all hours of the day. We had to walk down to Macy's to try to snag one.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear charlotteorchid:

Thank you for reviewing my hotel for TripAdvisor readers. I'm sorry to hear you had trouble hailing a taxi in front of the hotel. Generally, taxis line up outside or stop frequently. However, it can be difficult at peak hours of the day. Walking to another avenue that may not have been as busy was a good idea.

Overall, I'm glad to hear we met your travel needs. I hope you'll consider us again when business brings you to New York City.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I wasn't quite sure what to expect comparing my previous experiences with Residence Inn (big rooms with lots of amenities) and what you normally get in New York City (very small rooms). But I have to say, this hotel completely delivered on the Residence Inn concept and had extremely good service, to boot. I arrived early on a Friday morning. Although no room was available, the very professional and friendly front desk staff offered to hold my bag and call my cell phone when a room opened up. To set my expectations, they even gave me an approximate time (about noon), but had the room ready even earlier.

I was lucky to get a corner room with lots of space, a nice view, and with all of what you expect from Residence Inn, including a small kitchen and eating area. The bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was on the small side, but that was a perfectly acceptable trade-off. WiFi and a full breakfast are included in your room rate. Location is close to Times Square, but not too close. It's away from all of the crowds and noise, but still just a couple of blocks away. Windows are well-insulated so the room was surprisingly quiet at all times of the day.

One true test of service occurred on my first night - I returned to my room at about 11:00 p.m., completely exhausted after a long but fun day. All I wanted to do was go to sleep. And then I heard the beep - the fire alarm was loudly beeping about once every 60 seconds, indicating that the battery was dying. I dreaded calling the front desk because I was sure that no one would be able to come up to address the issue. However, the cheerful voice on the other end of the phone immediately said that the battery was likely the issue and she would send someone up right away. To my surprise, there was a polite and efficient maintenance guy at my door in less than 5 minutes. He said he'd go ahead and replace the carbon monoxide alarm battery, too, just in case. My goal of hitting the pillow was barely delayed 15 minutes.

The hotel even warned guests to pardon the elevator delays during peak times (breakfast, especially). But I never experienced any issues. I don't think I waited than 30 seconds for the elevator at any time of the day.

I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank RickInPittsburgh
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We have stayed at more than 20 hotels in NYC, but this is my favorite for the money. We took our 4 kids with us and booked 2 rooms next to each other (they didn't have adjoining rooms). They rooms are a good size by New York standards and the free, hot breakfast was great. Location is convenient to all attractions, but not right on Times Square which is a good thing. Kids love going to Ellen's Stardust Diner each time we go to NYC. On our son's 18th birthday, they took him in from of everyone and the waitress serenaded him. Priceless memory! The Residence Inn has a community room to hang out in, which we did with another family that came to the city to meet us. It's the best common area we've come across in a NYC hotel. This is the 2nd time we've stayed there and I'm sure we'll be back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank BadcopBubby
Dear BadcopBubby:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at my hotel with potential visitors. It's great to hear you found value in staying with us and enjoyed our full complimentary breakfast.

I'm also glad to hear your family and friends took advantage of our 3rd floor Hearthroom. It’s a great place to relax and catch up with the feeling of being in your own living room and not the center of a New York City hotel.

I'm sure you took some great pictures of your son sitting center stage at The Stardust!

I hope you'll stay with us again soon.