“Great Views”

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square
Ranked #214 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This is a great stay. Clean. We didn't stay in the room that much but it slept well. Walks right out to Times Square.

1  Thank Clipcox2
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Dear Clipcox2:

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. I'm glad to hear you had such a great stay and enjoyed the views and our location.

I hope you'll stay with us the next time business brings you to New York City.

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,504)

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Stayed at this hotel over Memorial Day weekend. Used Marriott points. Room was nice, very good kitchen facilities in the room. Bathroom was small and water pressure in shower wasn't great. Great view from room of Empire State Building and skyline. Neighborhood ok, about four blocks from Times Square.
Pros: location, value, view, size of room, friendliness of staff;
Cons: small bathroom, free breakfast VERY crowded to the point is wasn't worth going to; elevators completely jammed up at breakfast time.
SUMMARY- good hotel experience. Will stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michaelnwhite

Dear Michaelnwhite:

Thank you for reviewing my hotel on TripAdvisor. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and found our staff friendly, location convenient, and rooms accommodating.

Our breakfast can become crowded on the weekends. Elevator delays are common on the weekends as well. I’m sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. It seems most guests sit for breakfast around the same time and leave for the day shortly after. We try our best to educate guests on potential crowding so that they can plan accordingly. Its sounds like you saw the worst of it being a holiday weekend.

Overall, it sounds like you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to your future visit.

Reviewed 26 May 2012

I visited New York after 13 years again and wanted to stay in a hotel close to all attractions. This hotel is going to be definitely my choice for my next visit to NYC. Here some details.

Room:
As usual in Residence Inn the room comes with a small kitchenette and a huge fridge to keep all your drinks. The room was quite big for a hotel in Manhattan. I liked the bathroom ameneties - usually you find these ones only in saloons. Free wireless internet was very fast!

Breakfast:
BF had a good variety of offer from pancake to croissants. But it was as the hotel was fully booked always crowded.

Location:
Located between the 6th Avenue and 39th street it is the best location. Very close to Times Square and the subway stations it is central to all your destinations in Manhattan.

Car parking:
I mad a mistake and came with a car, the valet parking costs 56$ a day! But I heard that this is usual in New York.

Price:
As I searched for price comparisons in Manhattan and found out that there is no room cheaper than 350$. Therefore the price was ok for Manhattan. If you want to stay cheaper than I recommend to stay in New Jersey that has good bus connections to the city.

Room Tip: High floors might be a bit better than lower floors to see the 6th Avenue.
1  Thank Wolfgang_FFM

Dear Wolfgang_Frankfurt:

Thank you for reviewing my hotel for potential visitors. It's nice to hear you returned to New York after so many years and had such a great experience! I hope you'll stay with us again soon. Next time be sure to leave the car at home!

Reviewed 23 May 2012

I was here for ten days, mostly on business that was spread out around the city. This is one of the smallest Residence Inn rooms I have been in, but it is large for a NY hotel room. My room on the 11th floor had a great view of the Empire State Building, but not all rooms would have that. The positives: 2 minute walk to Bryant Park/42nd street station, about five minutes to Times Square station, Good breakfast, Full sized frig, safe big enough for your laptop, comfy bed. Negatives: the curved rod on the shower made the bathroom even more crowded when the door was opened, during busy tmes you could wait up to 10-15 minutes for elevator, and the night snacks were minimal (had much more of a spread at other Residence Inns), and would have loved a small desk for my laptop instead of the kitchen bar. I stayed on a discounted promo, so I am not sure that I would pay full price for the room; however, I would stay here again if I could have that same rate. The concierge (Judy) was helpful with directions and arranging car pickups. There is a Pret a Manger on the corner across from the hotel for sandwiches and a small market next to the hotel on that side as well. Bryant Park is a great place for a little sunshine (when it is not raining) and it is about a half of a mile to Penn Station and to Grand Central as well.

Room Tip: Ask for one that faces the Empire State Building for a good view.
2  Thank TravelTexan1

Dear TravelTexan1:

Thank you for posting your review of my hotel on TripAdvisor. I'm glad to hear that we were able to meet your travel needs and you enjoyed our full complimentary breakfast and convenience location. I'll be sure to pass your kind words on to Judy as well.

For future reference, some of our rooms do have a lower desk, rather than the counter height table. You can always request one on your next visit. Thank you for posting a photo of the view from your window!

Reviewed 21 May 2012

We just returned from our weekend stay in NYC and stay at Residence Inn by Marriott Times Square. While I must say that the staff was friendly and room clean, I cannot give this hotel high reviews. I had book two rooms for our girls weekend away, celebrating my niece's 21st birthday. I had requested 2 rooms next to each other and a view. We ended up on the 8th floor, a hallway away from each other, and a view of the gravel parking lot below. Our kitchen light did not work our alarm clock did not show the time even after adjusted the dimmer switch. The bathroom set up was difficult to move in and only two tiny bottles of shampoo and conditioner were provided. No lotion or shower cap, which I always thought were standard. While these aren't big things, I was disappointed when I spent over $500 per room for a standard room with 2 double beds. The room was clean, and they had left a cupcake upon arrival for my niece which was a thoughtful, but in no way did this hotel meet my expectations for the price we paid. We have stayed at Staybridge Suites for half the price per room and double the ammenities. I also have to comment that the breakfast selection was average, but there was not enough staff to keep up with the amount of people. I only saw one staff member clearing plates from tables. It was a complete turnoff to see dirty plates and bowls of half eaten cereal and oatmeal all over the place including tables, end tables, etc. A trash can was placed near where you picked up your plate-a huge turnoff. Other negatives included waiting over 20 minutes for an elevator in the morning. Since we were only on the 8th floor, we took the stairs, but we heard many other guests complaining of a wait over 40 minutes. It seemed that all four elevators were not working. I consider myself to have average standards as a consumer. I am not overly picky and feel I always give an honest review. Bottom line, I expect far more for $500 a night for a standard room. I would not stay here again at that rate.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank kert1
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Dear kert1:

I'm so sorry to hear that you have a less than favorable impression of my hotel. I’d like to take a few moments to address your concerns.

Our rates are actually extremely competitive with most comparable hotels in the area. It sounds as though you stayed over a busy weekend when all rates in the city were significantly higher. May is traditionally a very busy month with most colleges graduating within days of one another.

We do try our very best to accommodate all requests prior to your arrival. Unfortunately, the room types you had booked (studio suites with two double beds) are all located in the same back end location of our building and therefore don’t have much of a view and are unable to be placed side by side.

I'm sorry to hear that you had some issues with your kitchen light and alarm clock. I hope you contacted the front desk so that we were able to send an Engineer to take care of it. We do try our best to take note of any burnt out lights or other engineering issues during room inspections. Unfortunately, it seems those were overlooked.

I’m sorry you felt that there were not enough amenities available in the room. We do not place some amenities such as lotion, shower caps, toothpaste, combs or deodorant in rooms, however they are always available with housekeeping and we are more than happy to send them at the your request.

Your comments and review are very much appreciated. I take your concerns very seriously and will be sure to share them with the appropriate departments. We are continually looking for ways to improve service and will be sure to use your review as a learning tool.

Again, I’m very sorry for the inconveniences you experienced. If you would like to the opportunity to further discuss your experience, please don’t hesitate contacting me at 212-768-0007.

Reviewed 16 May 2012

I stayed here for a week in early May 2012, and found that it was just as I remembered it from last year (stayed for a month in May 2011). The rooms are large, especially for NYC, and the kitchenette offers everything a business traveler needs. The breakfast is an added bonus, and I agree with others & management that you should try to get there early. The location is what I really enjoy. Right next to Bryant Park, within a few blocks of Times Square and only a little further to Grand Central or the Empire State Building, this hotel is ideally located. Staff were all very friendly, and quite accomodating to my request for a late checkout. Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a comfortable place to stay in NYC. I my mind, it would be ideal for families on vacation or for the business traveler.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a high floor overlooking Bryant Park & Chrysler Building or the Empire Stat...
3  Thank MaNa99

Dear MaNa99:

Thank you for taking the time to review my hotel for potential visitors. I'm sure you would agree that business travel can often be less than enjoyable. We do try our very best to help visitors feel welcome and comfortable while traveling to such a large city.

I'm glad to hear we were able to accommodate your request for a later checkout and that you found our location to be ideally located. It really does make navigating through the city quite easy.

I hope you'll stay with us again next May if your business travels bring you to New York City.

Reviewed 16 May 2012

This hotel is a hidden gem near Byrant Park. I've stayed in various hotels in NYC including some high end boutiques- you just can't beat this one for the value and service. I booked this hotel completely relying on other reviews on trip advisor. It seemed that for the low NYC price it would not be so nice. It met all my expectations. Large rooms, breakfast included, bar, helpful staff and perfect location close to everything-uptown and downtown. I highly reccommend this property.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with view of Empire State building.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank naperville4

Dear naperville4:

Thank you for taking the time to review my hotel for TripAdvisor readers. I'm glad to hear that we were able to meet your travel expectations and that you had such a wonderful experience. Our centralized location and close proximity to Bryant Park really are an added bonus for both first time travelers and frequent visitors. It's so nice to hear that you would highly recommend the Residence Inn. I hope you'll stay with us again on your next visit to New York City.