“Go only for the view or location at your own risk.”

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square
Ranked #217 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

I have always been a fan of Marriott. I am a platinum member. This place was a disappointment from start to finish. I arrived only to find no way to park and had to circle the hotel. The valet was taken up by a tour bus. I ended up having to self park and request a bell boy to come to the garage to take my bags. My parking issue took over 30 minutes. When I finally got inside my room wasn't ready. I had requested my room be ready
early as I had an appointment.
We finally got to the room and went down to the bar to grab a water only to find the bar was full of bowls of peanuts. I was with my peanut allergic daughter do had to leave the hotel to get a drink. After spending a few hours out we came back and sat on the sofa. Suddenly I felt itchy. I looked at my arm and there were little red bumps all over it. I looked down and there was a little bug on my foot. I killed it and saved it for the manager. Finally at 1230 I had my room switched. The hotel didn't even offer a refund or anything until I got home and complained to corporate. Even now all they did was refund points. I am very disappointed with this hotel and won't be back.

• Stayed: November 2013
4  Thank Alison B
Ashley D, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Hello AlisonB,

Thank you for reviewing my hotel of your stay with us. We are always looking for ways to improve and your feedback is greatly appreciated. The valet/loading zone can get busy at check-in and check-out times, and I can understand how that can be frustrating that can be.

Can you kindly reach out to me at Ashley.deichert@marriott.com so I can get further information about the insect on your foot. This is not something we take lightly, and would like to hear from you. We value our Platinum member s and certainly do not like hearing negative feedback. We would like to correct this problem for you, and have you return to our property in the near future.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,481)

Reviewed 28 November 2013

The hotel was very nice, the concierge was a Google searcher for a simple request for a massage, and food... You would think that he would KNOW the city and simple requests. The staff was friendly, the noise non-existent, the mini-store was very empty, the rooms were super comfortable, and the beds almost made me late for a meeting, they are AWESOMELY comfortable!!! Enjoy your stay here, you wont regret it!!

Room Tip: I was on 20th floor facing 6th (Ave of the Americas) no noise, good view. Room, hall noise, NONE !!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Hello SirTravelLotz,
I agree with you that the Marriott beds cannot be beat! Whenever I travel it is always Marriott and the beds are always the best! We hope to see you for your next trip to NYC!

Ashley

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We were early and knew that we may not be accommodated with getting into a room. Typically in this situation hotel staff will ask if the guests are familiar with the area and will present a map and give directions to sights near by. Claudia the front desk did not ask or offer any assistance. As a Platinum Marriott member, a room upgrade along with a welcome gift or Marriott points are normally offered at check in, or an explanation that the hotel is full and no upgrade is available is customary which neither were done. The last night, I asked the front desk about taxi service to Newark, again it was Claudia at the desk. She informed that taxi service is available in NYC 24/7. Hardly an appropriate response, considering the bellman was able to hail the cab for me, especially since NY cabbies can't pick up NJ passengers at Newark.

The rest of stay was good. Location to Bryant park was awesome. The ice skating, food vendors and retail vendors were great. The other front desk staff were very helpful, giving excellent directions to the theater and suggesting we get cheesecake at Juniors after the show. The overall stay was good, but the lack of assistance at the beginning and end was stressful.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Hello LauderdalebytheSea,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us. I wanted to start out and apologize for the mix up with questions with some of our staff. It seems and if there was a miscommunication about cab directions and I apologize if this caused you any inconveniences.
I am happy you loved the location and over all had a wonderful experience. Junior’s cheesecake is world renown and cannot miss that when you come to NYC! We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I cannot fault the service we received whilst staying at The Residence Inn. The staff were happy to help with any query, took photos for us and even helped us order a pizza pie in the early hours after one too many! The rooms were spacious and cleaned every day. The kitchen in the room was so handy, and we had no issue with the lifts being over crowded. The bar was nice and had great offers on at happy hour, plus the staff had great hints and tips for where to head to in the evening, and had a taxi waiting outside for us within minutes.

The fire alarm in our room must have been low on battery as it kept beeping, and the staff sorted it out for us instantly, and even let us check out later than we were supposed to.

The facilities in the room (iPod dock, hairdryer, even a slow cooker!) make the issue of travelling less hassle as there's less to pack.

The breakfast had a lot of variety every day, especially sausage and egg muffins one morning!

Would definitely recommend, and would definitely return to this great hotel with an excellent central location.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Hello LB2301,

Thank you for your “Excellent” review of my hotel! I agree with you that the front desk staff is always so helpful and full of ideas! The happy hour at our bar on the 3rd floor is a great place to hang out and see the views of 6th avenue and the radio city music hall.
The extensive breakfast buffet is a nice treat each morning. We hope to see you again soon back with us in NYC!

Reviewed 23 November 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for a week to run the NY Marathon. Great place to stay. Very central to everything. We walked everywhere from Central Park to Times Square and the Theatres. Great restaurants nearby. Hotel service impeccable. Very friendly staff. Free breakfast and Wifi. Had good laundry facilities. The rooms were very clean and tidy with a little kitchenette.
Definitely recommend the Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Nicki F

Hello Nicki F,
Thank you for your great review of my hotel. I hope to see you again next year for the NYC marathon!

Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband and boys aged 4 and 7 for 5 nights. It was an excellent base to see the sights and were able to get around on foot even with the kids. The subway was just round the corner when we headed over to the Statue of Liberty and the reception staff were really helpful with tips for using the subway-they also gave us suggestions for family friendly places to eat. We had a queen room with a double bed and pull out sofa, kitchenette and bathroom. It was really much bigger than I expected and cleaned everyday with coffee and shampoos replaced whenever they were needed. The breakfasts were great and the choice was fantastic-set us up nicely for a day's exploring. Think we lucked out as we never had any issues with overcrowding in the dining room nor with lift waiting times. The other thing that impressed me was I'd rung to check the booking and incidentally said I hoped our room had a view-the chap said we were on the 9th floor and I left it at that but when we checked in, we'd been moved to the 27th floor so I got my view and a great one at that overlooking Bryant Park!! We had a fantastic trip and I definitely think the hotel being so good was part of the reason. Oh, and the bed was really comfy!!

Stayed: November 2013

Hello Eraj214,
Thank you for your wonderful review of my hotel. It is great to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay at the hotel, and the convenient location we are in!
The breakfast area can get quite busy but it seems as if you did not run into that problem and that’s great to hear! Next time you are in NYC let me know I will make sure to get you a room of the Empire State building this time and then you can tell if it is better than Bryant park views or not!
Ashley.Deichert@marriott.com

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I ahve stayed at this hotel 10+ times. I love it. The rooms are clean with comfortable beds and nice tvs. I love that there is a kitchenette. When I stay at this hotel, it makes me feel like I have a small NYC apt for the night. Feels like my nyc home. So nice to go the 3rd floor for breakfast (which is complimentary) or just to relax. So many nice places to sit, read, check email, etc. Great hotel. If you stay here, you will be happy!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank lovetravel60763

Hello Lovetravel60763,
Thank you for your loyalty to this property. We are so thankful that you feel as if this is like a second home. We look forward to your next arrival with us! See you soon!!!