“Great for our purposes”

Ranked #194 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Singapore
“Great for our purposes”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

My family of 2 adults and 2 teens stayed in the studio double room for more than a week in early December 2013.

1. Location - we liked the location which was in midtown, and which as the name suggests, was in between uptown and downtown, and thus easily accessible to both. It is on a relatively less congested street, a 10 minute walk from the heart of Times Square which was just too crowded for our liking. We liked that the subway is a short 5 minute walk away; similarly, the lovely Bryant Park. For a quick hot meal after a long day out, it is within easy walking distance of simple eateries like a comfortable Chinese restaurant down the street.

2. Buffet breakfast included in the price - the breakfast was decent. Though the breakfast area could get extremely crowded during the week-end, it was not really a hassle or a major problem,

3. Coin-operated laundry on the premises - this was very helpful for us as we were on the road for 2 weeks. I did a lot of research on accommodation for our trip to NYC and trust me, not many places have this on-sight facility.

4. Room - the room was a reasonable size, and we liked that there was a kitchenette (complete with microwave and dishwasher) and small dining table. However, the bathroom was TINY and the carpeting has seen better days. The drab carpeting made the room seem drearier and dirtier than I'm sure it was.

5. Some reviewers had complained about the noise. We were on the 32nd floor and had no problems with noise from the street. It was very quiet.

6. Some reviewers had complained about the long waiting time for the lifts, and I must say that had initially made me rather hesitant to book this accommodation. However. we did not find this a major problem at all, except maybe once or twice after breakfast when it was particularly crowded.

Overall, I would recommend this accommodation for families due to the conveniences mentioned in my review.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Ashley D, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Hello See-to-believe,
Thank you for your kind review of my hotel for potential visitors. The coin operated laundry machines are great when traveling for a long period of time. The full kitchen is also great when traveling to be able to cook a homemade meal for your family.
The elevators can become crowded during breakfast areas, but It is great to here this did not affect you while you were with us. We look forward to having you stay with us again next year!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

Loved this hotel! We booked a king room with a sofa bed for me and my two sons. It was more spacious than I expected, comfortable and nicely furnished. There was a small kitchen. A nice breakfast was included. The staff were pleasant and accommodating. Central to all the mid-town sites. We will choose the Residence Inn next time we're in NYC.

Hello Pattycakes726,

I am so glad to hear you and your two sons fit comfortably in one of our king studios. It can be difficult to find a NYC hotel that is comfortable for a family. We look forward to having you back for your next trip to NYC!

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

Very nice hotels with nice equipped kitchens and very comfortable beds and pillows, Lots of restaurants and shops closed by, also a supermarket. Next door to Brian Park, not that close to Times Square but you can walk if you want( not in a windy winter day).The breakfast buffet its awesome!!!!! The accept pets also....

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Hello michel01,

I am happy you enjoyed your time with us in New York City! The central location near Bryant Park is great for site seeing! Don’t forget to bring your pet with you on your next trip!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

After reading all reviews we decided to choose this place since it has kitchenettes in every room. There was another Marriott right next door. Convenient to subway and times square. Breakfast is a full blown buffet. We stayed 5 nights, on 23rd floor with a view of 6th&39th. Room 2305 and 2301 (corner room). No complaints.

2 Thank LAZAnn
Hello LAZAnn,

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and the breakfast buffet. We hope to see you again for your next visit!

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

There are only two reasons for staying at this hotel. It's walking distance from anywhere you'd want to be as a tourist in NYC. The subway connections are just as good and there are buses right near the entrance. Second reason is that residence inn includes breakfast in their room rate and that's a big plus while traveling with family and kids.

The hotel itself has numerous issues. Our room wasn't ready on time and we had kids who had woken up at 4am to catch a plane...and there was constant drilling and repair going on right outside our room door, so loud that none of us could talk while they worked. Our room was clearly a king room converted into two double beds so there no extra space left.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Pony101
Hello Pony101,

Thank you for your feedback from your most recent stay with us in NYC! The central location makes it great for our guest to access all the subway stations for easy travel routes. I also agree the complimentary breakfast buffet is perfect for families traveling to save a few bucks on meals.

I apologize you were subjected to the noise from the construction next door. They were working on the building for a few weeks, but the construction noise has subsided. I hope this has not left a bad taste in your mouth and can come back for another trip with us in NYC! Please let me know for your next visit I would be happy to get you a room with a view of Empire State Building.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Just returned from a week in NYC with my wife and 2 kids and our room had plenty of space for all of us to enjoy our time. We picked this hotel because it was on the parade route and it came highly recommended. It did not disappoint. Complimentary breakfast was more than enough and the staff is truly amazing. Special thanks to Chris for helping with last minute dinner reservations on a Friday night! Great Choice by the way. Hotel is a block away from Bryant Park and the metro. Easy to get to any location in the city and the staff makes sure only hotel residents are going up in the elevators. If you go for the Macy's Parade, make sure you get a room with a view of 6th(assuming the route does not change). We were on the 16th floor and headed back upstairs after my girls had enough of the cold. The window opened enough to hear everything and the view was perfect. Having stayed at many NYC hotels, this will definitely be on the return list.

1 Thank Mlsmith142
Ashley D, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Hello Mlsmith142,

I am so happy to hear your family enjoyed the Thanksgiving Parade right in front of our hotel! That is wonderful you were able to hear the excitement from the parade in your room!
The spacious rooms make it great for a family traveling. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip with us!

Ashley
Rocky Hill
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

I have always been a fan of Marriott. I am a platinum member. This place was a disappointment from start to finish. I arrived only to find no way to park and had to circle the hotel. The valet was taken up by a tour bus. I ended up having to self park and request a bell boy to come to the garage to take my bags. My parking issue took over 30 minutes. When I finally got inside my room wasn't ready. I had requested my room be ready
early as I had an appointment.
We finally got to the room and went down to the bar to grab a water only to find the bar was full of bowls of peanuts. I was with my peanut allergic daughter do had to leave the hotel to get a drink. After spending a few hours out we came back and sat on the sofa. Suddenly I felt itchy. I looked at my arm and there were little red bumps all over it. I looked down and there was a little bug on my foot. I killed it and saved it for the manager. Finally at 1230 I had my room switched. The hotel didn't even offer a refund or anything until I got home and complained to corporate. Even now all they did was refund points. I am very disappointed with this hotel and won't be back.

• Stayed November 2013
4 Thank Alison B
Hello AlisonB,

Thank you for reviewing my hotel of your stay with us. We are always looking for ways to improve and your feedback is greatly appreciated. The valet/loading zone can get busy at check-in and check-out times, and I can understand how that can be frustrating that can be.

Can you kindly reach out to me at Ashley.deichert@marriott.com so I can get further information about the insect on your foot. This is not something we take lightly, and would like to hear from you. We value our Platinum member s and certainly do not like hearing negative feedback. We would like to correct this problem for you, and have you return to our property in the near future.

I look forward to hearing from you.