“BEST HOTEL TO BE IN- NEW YORK”

Hilton Garden Inn New York/Central Park South-Midtown West
Ranked #219 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 May 2014

SERIOUSLY THE BEST SPOT TO BE -

This hotel is by far the best hotel in NYC; as far as price, location, and most of all STAFF!!- I want to thank the front staff Carlos for his 100% EXCELLENT customer service as well as the night shift-Mabalin, Greg, and Security staff Steve- $& Christina thanks for hooking it up!. Everyone was great with showing me the hot spots and major attractions- I thank yall for making my stay the best on my Birthday weekend. :)

From the night shift to the day shift all and ever staff member are far from perfect!!. I wish i can name all staff personally one by one -but you all made my stay the best in New York coming from boston!!. All the rooms seems the same but this hotel is very clean and nice all the way around. The only hotel i've ever stayed in with a 42 inch flat screen t.v.for it no being a suite!!
From appearance of the lobby to the rooms everything was FRESH+ BRAND NEW!

I will stay here everytime I come to New York with out a doubt you will seem there back by the end of June.

Good luck to all you guys and I will see you soon. I will definitely be a frequent stayer here- I advise everyone here and sign up as part of the Hilton family NOW!!

Thanks a million everyone
MacGyver

Room Tip: all rooms may be the same- Pick the one with the terris cause i believe it may be a bit better.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Frank C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Central Park South-Midtown West, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for your review and your kind words about our staff and overall hotel experience.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,750)

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I just stayed six nights with my ten year old granddaughter. I found the service Excellent. Someone came up immediately to plug in the refrigerator; someone came up immediately when I requested utensils, and my requests for AC attention were handled satisfactorily. The staff was very friendly and welcomed us back each day, were pleasant to my granddaughter and never brusque -- very friendly! In six days we waited extensively for an elevator ONLY ONCE.
I have stayed in many NY hotels, and found our room on the 23rd floor very quiet. Only once did I notice the sound fire engines. The negative (or minus one star) was the AC -- very noisy and not intuitive as to the settings. The first night I nearly jumped out of the bed when the AC kicked on -- it was so loud. The settings were difficult to comprehend and I have stayed in hotels around the world. The air/fan was quiet enough but the unit itself was VERY loud. After three nights, I complained and they adjusted it; it seemed better but, perhaps I just got used to it. In fairness I had read that in previous reviews.

My requirements for this stay were two beds and a refrigerator. At this hotel we also had a microwave. With the Travelzoo promotion I saved $900 for six nights over my previous reservation of least expensive for my criteria for five nights. I was born and raised on the East side, so I was apprehensive about the west side. The rate was compelling. The location proved to be EXCELLENT. The website Hop Stop helped me plan out all our public transportation. We had access to very many subway lines and bus lines within one to four blocks. The neighborhood was busy and I felt safe when walking with my granddaughter at night. There was a three-story CVS, with an excellent grocery department, nearby. Also we were just one block from our Broadway play and she just loved the Stardust Diner (four blocks) so much we went twice. Great entertainment. We walked to Central Park, took the bus to the Natural History museum, the subway to the Statue of Liberty and so on. I was able to configure all the transportation with no problem. On the last day she just had to experience a taxi ride. I also did not know (until I read it here today) that the hotel has a car service to the airport. I would stay here again if the rate is comparable to what I paid. I just checked rates for the Marriott Courtyard/Residence Inn next door and the rate is several hundred dollars more per night. I checked average for rooms because the room was smaller than usual. Had my husband been with us, it wouldn't have worked, but for the two of us it was great.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your positive review and highlighting our wonderful amenities inside and around our hotel.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

My husband and I spent three nights here in March. I thought long and hard about writing this review, but I rely on other Trip Advisor reviewers when I make my hotel choices, so I felt I’d be remiss not to write about the serious flaws with this hotel.

Let’s start with the good bits: The hotel is new so the décor is fresh and the beds are comfortable. The staff is pleasant, and they seemed to be doing their best in what seems to be a busy, understaffed and crowded work environment. The location is great.

Next to the minor, but in need of attention bits: Cleanliness and upkeep need more attention. For so new a hotel, there were too many stains and smudges around the shower area; the room across from ours had a room service tray outside their door which sat there for an entire day and night. Something looking like yogurt had spilled from the tray onto the carpet; it never got cleaned up during our whole stay. There was a shopping bag of trash that sat on the table near the elevator for two days. The USB ports in the room didn’t work and the printer in the computer room didn’t work. Our room keys didn’t work on the second day and we had to get new ones.

So, that brings us to the two really serious flaws: the first is that the hotel doesn’t seem to have the infrastructure to support the number of rooms and guests it contains. There aren’t enough elevators—there are only three which service about 400 rooms on more than 25 floors. There are no service elevators, so all hotel staff have to use the same three elevators. There is always a wait for an elevator, and there are frequently lines for the elevators on the ground level. The lobby, although tastefully decorated, is too small for the number of guests; it was almost always more crowded than Grand Central at rush hour.

We booked a King Bed room, and it was the smallest hotel room we had ever stayed in anywhere in the world—even in other Manhattan hotels. The desk area is so close to the bed, that if one person sits at the desk, he must get up and move to one side of the bed to let another person pass through. We brought one suitcase with us, but the closet had only about 18” of hang-able space making it a pretty tight fit for our cold-weather clothing.

I was surprised to learn that this is a brand new building and not a retro-fitted one. I don’t understand why Hilton didn’t make this an all-suites hotel which would allow them to charge more per suite and limit the number of guests in the building to a more manageable number. I sincerely hope this hotel design isn’t a new standard for Hilton brand hotels.

The second serious flaw is the HVAC system. Before booking this hotel, I had read about HVAC issues in other reviews, and read the management responses saying they had since been addressed. During our stay, we experienced three HVAC issues which prevented us from sleeping and will keep us from ever returning to this hotel. 1) The temperature control doesn’t work—no matter what we did, we could not prevent the room from overheating. Even if we got the AC to come on for a while, it would shut off and the room would soon become way too hot. 2) The light on the temperature control unit kept flashing brightly all night long like a lighthouse or airport beacon. Since the unit is right by the bed, it woke me up several times the first night. The next morning we reported the unit, but it was not fixed. We found some tape and cardboard and covered up the light, but the over-heating remained an issue our entire stay. 3) During our last night, when the AC came on, the entire HVAC unit kept making a horrendous noise—like trying to sleep with someone operating a jack hammer next to your head. Had this happened the first or second night, we would have found another hotel to stay in for the rest of our visit.

In thinking how many stars to give this hotel, I decided the fairest thing to do is to compare it to other mid-range hotels I’ve stayed at over the years in Manhattan—Hiltons, Marriott Courtyards, Holiday Inns, etc. Since this hotel fell so short of all the others, I can’t give it more than 2 stars.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SkyRoseBoston

Thank you for your review and please accept our most sincere apologies for the issues you encountered during your stay. Please note that we have corrected the cleanliness and HVAC issues you note and ask for you to return to our hotel so that we may exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on 54th street (formerly a Ramada, I think?) -- it was a great value and perfect location for midtown. However I tried to add another night and it was three times as expensive . . . so maybe not ALWAYS a great value!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for your 5 star review and noting our great location.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights with 2 other friends. The hotel is very nicely located, not too far form Times Square but not close enough to be affected by the business and noise of Times Square. The room was very small for 3 persons, barely enough space to move. The closet was a joke - probably half size of a single wardrobe! The shower room is nice and spacious as compared to the size of the actual room. Paid room for 3 people but coffee and cups were only replenished for two despite a note left on the coffee machine on day one. The temperature of the room can't be controlled although we did change the temperature on the thermostat but kept waking up at night as it was too warm. Would be nice if the hotel could provide bottled waters in room. Good service, clean room, and very good location. Overall, for $325 per night, it was an average experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank CookieMon
Frank C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Central Park South-Midtown West, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you for your review and taking time to highlight our great service and clean guestrooms. We have corrected the HVAC concerns that you noted.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I was debating on whether to go with three stars or four and decided on four because the front desk staff was great, the location was perfect and we lucked out and got in on the introductory rate since the hotel was just opened recently. So things didn't start out well; our bed had hair in it under the sheets and the duvet had some blood stains on it...gross! We called and the front desk said they'd send up someone to take care of it. Housekeeping came up and handed me a new duvet cover and said "here you go." So as we were changing the sheets ourselves we found more hair and there were blood stains on the new duvet too! We packed our stuff all back up and asked for another room. The front desk staff was great and moved us to another room without any questions...very nice. Once we got through that, things were better.

The rooms are very small but nice and modern feeling. It sounds like most of the hotels in NYC are small like this so no big deal here. Just a heads up, the bathroom "door" is like a sliding door on a giant track so there isn't much privacy even with the door shut. The location is great and is walking distance to tons of cool stuff; couldn't be better! The small cleaning details that freak some people is the only thing that needed improvement. I would would most likely stay here again and wouldn't hesitate if I could score the same rate.

Room Tip: There is a room in between the elevators...I'd try to avoid that!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Downtown48

Thank you for your review and noting our great front desk Team. Please note that we have addressed and corrected the cleanliness issues that you noted.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I've found most of the other reviews here to be somewhat accurate, from their perspective. Here's mine: I was able to find a spacious Jr. Suite in mid-town Manhattan for under five hundred bucks a night. While I must continue to protest about the term "Junior Suite" as denoting a large room with a single bed and a couch, I knew what I was getting. (To me, a suite involves a minimum of two rooms with a door between them, but I understand that I am a dinosaur.)

The interesting thing about the Jr. Suite leads to one of the caveats. We had one on the SW corner of the building (room 2006), and it has a private balcony that is larger than the room itself! This is astonishing, and there is a lovely view of the Hudson (a tiny patch of it) and some of the rooftops south). However -- and this is a big issue -- there is a large ventilator on the balcony that makes so much noise that it was louder than the (considerable) New York street noise 20 floors below. So it was a lovely place to stand for perhaps 5 minutes, but that was all we could take.

As I understand the hotel is new as of Jan'14, the room was in good shape. The mini-fridge and microwave was a nice touch. It is clear from the lobby (tiny), the relative absence of bell-staff, and the room amenities that this brand is focused on a more "DIY" kind of hotel guest.

For a suite, we found the bathroom small, though fully functional, with both a small shower and a very small bath. The toilet is not separate, and the door only loosely slides shut, and there is no ventilator, so be sure you're friendly with whomever you're staying with.

One area for improvement is the HVAC, which is very noisy, and cycles on and off through the night. We did not find the street noise to be a problem (20th floor), but the AC was. Also, there was no blind on the glass door to the balcony, so there will be light beginning at dawn or before.

Finally, I'll echo what some others have said about the elevators. We waited for five (5!) elevators to pass by us on Sunday morning at 10am, before we could squeeze into one. Once we were on, the elevator, now full, stopped fruitlessly at each floor on the way down, where frustrated guest waited grumpily. Since there is no solution to this (one can't add elevators to this very skinny building), one should plan on it. One can push the "Up" button, ride up, and then go down, but that is jumping the queue, really.

All in all this place worked out well for us, because my expectations were for a three-star, not a five-star experience. I wasn't previously aware of this "Garden Inn" branding by Hilton, but it's clearly for a slightly downmarket, more DIY experience, and for us in this case, it worked. We didn't need a cavernous lobby full of marble or a high level of service. We were satisfied.

Room Tip: Junior suites (the only type of suite) are on the 20th floor. I don't know about the other suit...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gnetwerker

Thank you for your review and highlighting our amenities. Please note that we have addressed your HVAC concern in room 2006.