“Horrible Place”

and 1 more site!
Imperial Court Hotel
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This hotel is currently being investigated as illegal by the NYC government. Tenants have complained of harassment by management and those allegations were sustained by a judge. Like so many places in NYC it has a nice facade but is a dump inside. Until they get the legal mess straightened out I would not stay in this place again.

Room Tip: The only good room here is at another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
9  Thank HowNiceDiver

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I read about many unhappy travelers slagging off this hotel.
They might be right as I can't prove them wrong.
To be honest I can't praise the Imperial Court Hotel all the way, but I can't have bad words either.

My overall experience with this place was more than decent and I would recommend it if you asked me.

I spent 14 nights with a relative in a double twin-room.
The furnishing was a bit old fashioned but everything was right into place as advertised on the website. The room big and clean.
Two double-beds(what they call 'queen size' in the US), two nightstands with night lamps, two small sofas, two wardrobes, one desk, two chairs, one safe, large bathroom with bath tub/shower and even some cooking facilities(fridge, microwave, pottery, cutlery, kettle, etc).
3 windows with a depressing view to the fire stairs on the inside of the building.
Air conditioned.

The staff was helpful and friendly.
I only dealt with a couple of guys because they happened to be on duty when I was around.

The lobby is great but the rest of the building can't keep up.
The lift is tight and damn slow. I think it did not reach the top floors; I heard some people complaining about that.

The price for the stay was half way between moderate and expensive. The location absolutely great and that made the Imperial my choice for my trip across the pond because I could not find anything cheaper downtown if not a hostel or a low budget(and standard..) accommodation.

All in all I would suggest considering this place if you are contemplating a visit to NY and want to stay in Manhattan for a fair price.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Viaggi0Xpassi0ne
Reviewed 10 February 2014

The lobby looks great. Unfortunaly that's the only positive thing I can say about this hotel. The staff isn't helpful or nice, there is no breakfest available, no baggie-boys and the rooms are decent at best. I got a room at the 11th floor (the elevetor is just ten floors). In the first night I woke up and heard some funny noise. I turned on the light and the first thing I saw was a mouse running across the room! I went down to the lobby and told the night watchman about the whole thing. He showed no emotions, had no interest to do something for me but gave me a key to a new room when I asked for it. I asked if this had ever happened before. He answered no in a very unconvinced way to be honest. I was promised that a baggie boy would bring my bags to the new room the next day. The morning after I went to the lobby to make sure this would happen but the guy who I met told me there were no lobby boys working at this hotel!!
A small TV, a bad fridge and a expensive hotel. This is overall bad. To be fair I was quite pleased with the service the last day I stayed. I checked out at 12 pm and was able to keep my bags in the lobby for no extra charge. I also got help to get a ride to JFK.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HeidarHalldors
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Very expensive! No breakfast offered.Rude staff indeed.Furnishing ready to collapse. Otherwise the room was clean something I can't say for the rest of hotel, if it really is a hotel I got the feeling people - students were renting rooms long term.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Katerina K
Reviewed 12 March 2013

The entrance is very ornate and fancy. And that's where it stops.
The rooms are small, and not all of them have a bathroom en suite. I did, but it was so small that I had to squeeze my legs under the basin in order to sit on the toilet.
Small kitchenette is not bad.
The furnishings (bed, cupboards, desk, etc.) seem to be circa 1930, aside from the TV. Bed sagged horribly at the foot end, but the main part was tolerable.
The front desk people haven't totally absorbed the idea of excellence in customer service; they can sometimes be curt and gruff, but if you create a positive relationship with them they can be quite obliging.
All in all this is not even vaguely a luxury experience, but if you need to stay in Manhattan, and can't afford a top-class hotel, this is an option.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has a bathroom en suite. It gives me the creeps to have to share bathrooms with...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Saul B
Reviewed 7 January 2013

My friend and I stayed at this 'hotel' for 8 nights and from the first hour into checking in we wanted to pack our bags and never retun. The concierge was incredibly rude and unaccomodating. He spoke to us as though we didnt understand a word of English and was very disrespectful.

On top of that the rooms were attrocious. The bathroom was disgusting, the floor was dusty and not vacuumed the entire time we stayed there. The only 'house keeping' that occurred was the making of our beds and changing of towels.

The hotel had also been very rude and unfriendly in assisting with basic things suh as booking shuttle buses and providing general directions to attractions.

I would rate this place a -5/10 if that were possible. The only positive about this place is its location on the upper west side. New York City was incredible but this place shouldn't be shut down.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank disfor
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Really great location. Had to change location from Chelsea to somewhere uptown due to Hurricane Sandy and found this place. From the get go, the staff were really helpful. Some guy called Chris was really helpful when we had called asking about the hotel.

The rooms are very small though but at least there is a kitchenette!the house keepers do a reasonable job of cleaning the room. Stayed here for 9 days. Really close to awesome cafes, Brother Jimmy's (!yum) and heaps of bottle gas and shops (Loehmanns is only a couple of blocks away), Beacon theatre is a short block up, really close to subway too!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple