“Nice place to eat”

Playwright Tavern 49th St.
Ranked #45 of 864 Nightlife in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: If you are visiting New York for the day, or if you've lived here for years, come and join us for a hearty lunch, dinner or maybe a cold pint after work. This is a place where you can relax - where the atmosphere is warm, the people lively and the food appetizing. A true Irish American bar and restaurant. Serving New York since 1995 we are a regular stop off for theater goers before and after a Broadway show. Conveniently located in the heart of the Theater District, just minutes from Rockefeller Centre and St. Patrick's Cathedral. Our dining room is situated on the second floor and is richly decorated with wood paneling and a large selection of Irish playwrights and Broadway memorabilia. Windows overlook 7th Avenue and provide a people watching experience - Its New York you can see it all. We provide an inviting experience, offering Irish, American and continental cuisine. Daily specials and prix - fixe available daily with brunch available on Saturday and Sunday. Live traditional Irish American Folk Music every night at 9pm. Stop in - you won't be disappointed.
new york
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Nice place to eat”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

A quaint place to enjoy a meal with family & friends. I didn't notice if there was handicap access. You do gave to climb a flight of stairs to gain access to the dining room. Bar was attached to dining room but separate, can be a little noisy, but you are in a tavern. Service was good, very attentive. Food was excellent!

Visited May 2014

Gainesville, florida
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Fun place in old NYC historic building. Ok bar fare food. Great service!”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Stopped in for a drink. Decent prices, husbands hamburger was excellent, my "flat bread" was I bit disappointing. Pre made, pre sauced thin pizza crust that wasn't cooked enough. I would say it was on the edge of being inedible but I ate 3 pieces because I was starving. I did tell the bartender about it and she actually took it off my bill and comped my wine as well. Super nice local people there as well.

Pay attention the the ornate wood and marble staircases if you do go. It's really beautiful.

Visited February 2014
Southern Shores, North Carolina
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Relaxed Irish Pub / Restaurant”
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Had my first visit to Playwrights, it was recommended by friends who had been there a couple times in the past. We ate upstairs. In comparison to other pub style restaurants we have been to in NYC, Playwright was busy and active, but not overly loud. You could really enjoy a dinner with conversation. Our server, Mary, was friendly and provided great service. Food was good, but I have to say, not excellent. I have had better Shepard's Pie. All in all, I would definitely go back.

Visited February 2014