“Wonderful spa day!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Peninsula Spa

The Peninsula Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover a rooftop oasis providing an ideal retreat from the demands of the city, featuring the Forbes Five Star-rated Peninsula Spa, serene glass-enclosed pool, cutting-edge fitness center, outdoor sun terrace and luxurious beauty salon. The Spa features a stunning collection of 12 treatment rooms, including a spacious Private Spa Suite, men's and women's private relaxation lounges, an Asian tea lounge, and changing rooms with luxurious heat experiences.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Wonderful spa day!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

My husband surprised me by driving me to the Peninsula Spa for my 50th birthday. My daughter accompanied me as they needed to keep me out of the house all day to prepare for the big surprise party waiting for me at home! Bernadette helped my husband plan all my services, perfectly timed to end with makeup and hair at the end of the day.
I started the day with a fabulous yoga class and a good work out in a top notch gym. Then I had one of the best facials by Janine. Spa lunch poolside was elegantly served Bento-box style and was delicious! Soon after, I got to experience a hot stone massage with William, who was extra attentive to my sore feet, upon request. A manicure and pedicure followed in a lovely room and the most comfortable pedicure chair ever! Lupe did these and she was fantastic. The reason I remember everyone's names is the fact that they were not only extremely competent, but were so kind and attentive throughout the day!
I couldn't have asked for a better 50th birthday pampering experience! thanks to the entire staff!

Visited April 2014

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Expectations were high, disappointed by the massage.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

I really was expecting to be wowed and just wasn't :/

PROS
-very friendly service, everyone from front desk to therapist to locker room attendants was attentive and nice!
-gorgeous (but small) facilities (and the steam room was scented : )
-the pool had a gorgeous view of the city
-double headed showers
-great shower products
-well stocked and spacious locker room
-very clean facilities

CONS
-my massage itself was barely average. Barely. I was happy to ask for adjustments to the pressure and location, but even with guidance I found my massage boring and not very enjoyable. I was disappointed that I paid money for someone to basically poke me with cold fingers for an hour
-no jacuzzi (essential for a spa!)
-the pool is extremely dated and just unimpressive
-small facilities as the sauna barely fits 2 people lying down
-pricey massage, but on par with most NYC establishments

Overall, it was an average experience and I definitely will not be returning due to the quality of the massage itself.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank kris l
Brooklyn, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Amazing day at the spa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

My husband and I spent the day here for my birthday, and we could not have had a more lovely experience. Obviously the weather was freezing in January, so we didn't use any of the outdoor facilities, but the parts we did use were wonderful.

Spa Lobby
Small, but beautifully appointed. Behind the front desk is a large open air spiral staircase leading to additional facilities, and the products used in the spa are on display in lit shelving units. There is also tea and water available.

Women's Changing Rooms
Nicely decorated and appointed. There are two locker rooms, each with small and large lockers, and a changing room for privacy. There are private potty rooms and large sinks, several double doored shower stalls (with rain shower heads and hand held showers), and several vanity stations. Towels, bathrobes, and slippers are available both in the locker and throughout the changing rooms. Shower sandals are also available. Each vanity is outfitted with a brush (individually wrapped), a hairdryer, hair spray, and several other toiletries. Bottled water is available. In addition to the basic bathroom functions, there is also a sauna and steam room, as well as an ice fountain for cooling off afterwards. Really wasn't missing anything. Everything was clean, pretty, and functional.

Waiting Room
The waiting room was unisex, which was nice because since everyone is robed, my husband and I could wait together for our massages. There are several teas available to drink, and newspapers and magazines to pass the time. The waiting area has a large banquette for people to sit, and there are also some more private chairs. The room layout is slightly awkward, as one of the walls bulges in, but this really wasn't a big deal. The lighting was pretty dim in order to be relaxing, but if you wanted to read while waiting, there were a few seats where it was bright enough.

Massage
We each only had a massage, so can't speak to the other services offered. The room was huge and extremely comfortable (we were in separate rooms, but you can request to be together if you are going with someone). I had the Deep Tissue Experience, which was amazing. Literally one of the best, if not the best, massages I've ever had. I felt the foot ritual in the beginning could've been a bit longer, as there is little to no focus on the feet for the remainder of the massage, but wasn't a big enough deal to put a damper on the experience. The dry body brushing was great - never had it before, but will definitely do again in the future. My practitioner was great - she was very thorough, asked a lot of questions at the beginning to make sure I had a good experience, and used non-scented oils because I told her I am still nursing my baby and it is possible for the scent to get into the milk. All in all, fantastic experience.

Relaxation Room
This is a quiet room with 4 amazingly comfortable beds, some drinks and healthy snacks, and reading material. I took a brief doze after my massage, and had quite a bit of coconut water and almonds. I also read a magazine, but for some reason could not get my reading light to turn on. This room was great in theory - in practice, because people are coming in and out after their treatments, it was a bit busier / noisier than one would hope. But again, not something that was overly bothersome.

Spa Staff
Everyone was great. Everybody was helpful, knowledgeable, and kind. No complaints.

I would highly recommend this spa for anyone looking for a relaxing, top notch experience.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank db2102
ThePeninsulaNY, General Manager at The Peninsula Spa, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear db2102,

Thank you for providing our very first review of The Peninsula Spa. It sounds as if you had a wonderfully tranquil day at our facilities. We sincerely trust that you enjoyed your treatments and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best regards,