“Overpriced and underwhelming!”
Review of Valbella

Valbella
Reserve with OpenTable
Valbella is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,270 of 14,199 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$80 - US$100
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: West Village
Cross street: 9th Ave. & Washington St.
Transit: A, C, E & L trains to 14th Street.
Description: Indulge in New York's best Italian restaurant located in the heart of the Meatpacking District. Fine, delectable cuisine is complemented by an impressive wine collection from around the world. A grand spiral staircase leads up to a private cocktail area and 5 private rooms that are perfect for corporate dinners, birthday celebrations, and social events. "Best Restaurants in Meatpacking" and "NYC's Best For Swanky Dining in Meatpacking" as rated by Zagat.
Reviewed 6 April 2014

OK...the service was great, but at 6pm the restaurant was pretty empty. Cocktails are $15 plus and cosmos came out different from each other. Calimari appetizer at $22 wasn't big enough to share, and the $40 plus pork chop served on cold broccoli rabe and potatoes had to be sent back to warm. Sorry, nothing special here. The other three diners enjoyed their meal, and desserts were great, but overall, I will try someplace else next time, because I just do not see the value here.

1  Thank ringo8553

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Really don't understand the complaints about service in previous reviews. We went peak time saturday night, place was packed and service was terrific. Let's start with venue. warm and hip at same time. Crowd is mixed from young professionals to middle age out on date night. Well dressed crowd with both men and woman dressed to impress. Not a place with kids at bar looking to get drunk.

Food is over the top good - we had the burata which was as good as being in Italy. Cold seafood special was fantastic. Wife had Chilean Sea bass I had veal. Both were outstanding.

The food prices lean to high side but the quality reflected it. I do have an issue with wine list. It's 50 pages long but 95% are over $100 a bottle. I struggled to find something right at the $100 range. It was a fantastic Chardonnay but it bugged me that they really didn't have $75 options which would have been more palatable. This is why I gave it 3 stars on value.

Will I go back - 100% yes but not as often as I would like because total price is just a little over the top.

Go try it you will love it.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

We were meeting friends who like the place so we decided perhaps their rudeness of the staff the last time was a fluke-WRONG!!!
We had to wait for 20-25 minutes and we had reservations and the people walking in after us were being seated right away. Okay, I understand do need to take care of their regulars. However when they finally seated us after I went up to them. This time I tried the $45 steak. The meal was cold and they let me know I was bothering them because I sent it back to the kitchen.to get heated. The other couple was surprised-we told them we were not and then told them what happened the last time(see review Dec. 23, 2013). No service until we asked for the check. Well you know the expression: Once shame on them, Twice shame on me AND there will not be a third time! GO TO 21 CLUB or Le CIRQUE!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Went there for the second time. The quality of the food is just outstanding. Even coming from Europe and travelling a lot in Italy the food couldn't be better there. Every dish is made to perfection, the staff is very friendly, restrooms are very clean. If I had to criticize anything then it would be the pricing of the wine. As a wine lover I know the prices and they charge 4 to 5 times the cellar prices. Quite steep. On the other hand I chose a bottle that cost 450 $, and when I tasted it I thought that it had a problem and refused it and that was no problem at all. I could chose another wine and later I talked with the owner, we retasted the first wine and I had to admit that it was ok after all. To my astonishment he brought a second pair of glasses and refilled our glasses twice with that wine, I only had to pay for one bottle. We will certainly return again.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Food was amazing and the service impeccable. The waiter made fantastic recommendations with wine and food.

There is a notable wine list and great atmosphere for a romantic special occasion.