“Great location-Greater value”

Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Midtown East
Ranked #168 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 July 2014

After reading reviews on this hotel prior to our visit to NYC, we decided to stay here. We could not have been happier with the service and the location. The value is among the best in that area for that level of hotel. We will definitely stay here again on our next visit.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Lowell B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Midtown East, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you so much for the nice comments and the 5 STAR review! We hope to be your host again in the near future!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,353)

Reviewed 11 July 2014

My family and I stayed there for one week end of June 2014. Although we loved NYC, I feel the service/courtesy has a little room for improvement. Although we booked a room with city view, the only view we got has looking directly into another high riser. When I inquired we did get moved but only after Front Desk person rolled her eyes with displeasure. During checking out that same person ignored us doing something else then a few minutes later looked up "surprisingly" saying "Oh, I didn't see you". There were charges for returned umbrellas which upon our request they took off. A couple calls to Front Desk during our stay were not addressed satisfactory. Elevators were always delayed as they were also used by staff.

Bell and cleaning service was excellent! Mike was extremely helpful with suggestions and always polite. Rooms were always cleaned, beds turned and clean towels replaced. Loved cold water available in the front lobby after our daily excursions into the city - Thank you!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide so detailed feedback. I'm glad that several of the team were able to assist you! I am sorry for any poor perception created, I have shared the feedback and we will improve. I do hope you give us another opportunity to provide you with the service you expect and deserve.
Thank you again for commenting!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Booked 2 rooms, with parking, 4 nights. I think price is not out of line for Manhattan, and it was walking distance to most everything. With kids (teenagers, and also a stroller) got to walk as far as NW Central Park (museum), Times Square / Broadway, Empire State bldg. Housekeeping was spotty... had to remind them we needed towels and coffee refills for 3/4 days. However Michael at the front concierge was totally on the ball and was a wealth of helpful advice and info. There are two elevators, so IMO it's best to have lower floors so that if you give up waiting for them, you can walk the stairs to the street. On the day we left, I had to let 8 jam packed elevators go until one could handle my bags (had a trolley same as everyone else, don't get any ideas LOL). If you're in a hurry that can be annoying, but fortunately I wasn't. A bit of a racket every night as they do garbage pickup outside - but those who enjoy clean streets and clean sidewalks ought not to complain. Coin laundry is on 7th floor - 2 washers, 2 dryers. Breakfast on site is $17 but we discovered Ess-A-Bagel around the corner (3rd ave, just south of 51st) and were hooked. Will review that separately. Yes parking is outrageous, but if you check the public parking sites, that is what it costs. $50-65/day with no in/out privileges. Nearby garages charge $18/day to store your BICYCLE. Don't blame the parking costs on the hotel, their "valet parking" means they drive your car to a nearby garage. It takes 45 mins to get your car back from when you request it, so schedule accordingly. Safe in the room, fridge, microwave - and clean. I'd have no problems going back to this hotel.

Room Tip: lower floors means you can give up on waiting for the elevator
2  Thank fred g
Lowell B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Midtown East, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thank you very much for the thoughtful review. We have heard great feedback about our location with access to all of NYC. We are still working the balance of operations with elevator use. We are making chnages each day to reduce any impact on our guests. Thank you for the nice comments on Michael, he does a great job! Hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

I am a hilton honors member so I only stay at Hilton properties when I travel, with that said I was very excited to book this hotel since it is a few months old. Our first night here there was trouble with the toilet and the shower door does not close properly so when you take a shower there was puddles of water on the floor so much that two bath towels were completely drenched. I called downstairs and they sent someone up with zero personality didn't say two words it was very awkward. He couldn't fix the toilet with what he had so dripping toilet water all the way out the door to get something else was disgusting. He came back with another tool fixed the problem and left. I had to call back down to remind them the shower situation. He came back up and spent another 30 minutes said it was fixed then left. Next morning took a shower and same problem so I asked if we could be moved to another room. We were originally on 13th floor and because of the elevators being inexcusably slow I asked for a lower floor. I was given 2nd floor so I packed everything up and made three trips to move all our stuff down to the new room by myself since my daughter was already gone at her dance convention. I was not offered any help moving. So I walk into new room and it has a weird smell like someone had smoked inside but I really didn't want to call because I didn't want to lug all our stuff again so I figured I would just spray something to smell better however I proceed into the bathroom and the shower door will not open! I tried numerous times but had to stop in fear I would break the glass, so I called back and explained and now moving to yet another room again with no help. All was good or so I thought until about midnight when we returned pulled down the covers to one of the beds and right in the middle was a gross disgusting yellow stain on the sheets. I called down and complained said my daughter and I would stay in the other bed for tonight but this needs to be fixed in the morning. I thought this was a building already here and they renovated it but I was told that they built it new. So why then with a hotel with 28 floors would you only build two elevators which are extremely slow and shared by hotel staff. And for those that reported no shelves in the shower there are still none so maybe it's something they are just going to forget installing. I just know that there are so so many Hilton properties here in the city that next time I visit which is September I will not stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank italiangrl71

Thank you very much for taking the time so share such detailed feedback. I am truly sorry for the poor perception created. Not to minimize the shower and elevator challenges, but I'm dissapointed that you didn't get a sincere sense of concern from the staff when the challenges arose. We value your business and I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly so I can take steps to regain your faith. Please contact me at lowell.beebe-center@hilton.com.
Thank you for your loyalty to Hilton.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Since the hotel's strategy for all of their properties is to not have service elevators, guests have to wait extend times for an elevator and then often have to share the elevator with service carts, cleaning supplies, odors, and hampers stuffed with towels. The front desk said they had multiple complaints per day about the elevators.

3  Thank Michael F

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. We are working to shift operational timing so as to minimize the elevator impact. We have made improvements and will continue. Your feedback keeps us focused on mastering this. Hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I just returned at a three night stay. We had a room with two queen beds on the 15th floor. Nice size and able to walk around the bed unlike some other hotels. Refrigerator and microwave came in handy. Neutrogena toiletries. Other pluses--very friendly reception area--nice folks, icy cold lemon/lime water, computers, cozy seating areas, free warm yummy cookies at 5 pm. A block and a half away from the subway. We ate at the Oxford Cafe near Lexington and 52nd for breakfast and dinner--great pizza and bagels reasonably priced. Also at at the Parisian bakery next door--they have excellent sandwiches. Duane Read drug store is also near this intersection. There is a Whole Foods at 3rd and 57th Street. All in all I would recommend this hotel. I have reservations to return on Labor Day. Word to management- cleaning people should always make sure there is an extra roll of toilet paper in the bathroom.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank mango_eater

WOW! Thank you so much for the 5 STAR review! You really got to know the area. Look forward to seeing you on Labor Day weekend!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Only two elevators utilized by both customers and cleaning staff. Elevator could take as long as 10 minutes. Stay on the lower floors where you can take the stairs. They also ran out of towels. I requested additional towels twice and never received any until the second day.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

I appreciate you comments from the recent stay. The elevators are a challenge that we are conquering with daily focus on operational timing. We have reviewed your feedback with the team and hope to welcome you back soon to see the improvements.