“Excellent Stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Excellent Stay”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I returned last night from a 5 night stay at this facility. I thoroughly enjoyed the hotel. As a HGI, its exactly what I expected and that is precisely why I try to stay at Hilton properties. Generally good quality and quite consistent.
I stayed in room 1607, good size for Manhattan, very clean and bed was very comfortable. Room was also surprisingly very quiet, facing the back was key. Though front or back Manhattan is noisy...

Only a couple of irksome items; no shelf in shower. Who thought this was ok and a good idea? And why have they not placed a corner shelf yet- such an easy thing to add! Housekeeping good but, if you see I'm out of caffeinated coffee why would you add only tea? I get you may be out at the moment but, make a request to have someone replenish your supply. When I did spot someone from housekeeping that was the case. They were out and had to bring it up at a later time. No biggie but, that should be automatic.

Aside from those 2 small items I have no complaints. Everyone I came in contact with was extremely friendly and helpful. The employees had a great energy! The location was spot on - restaurants, shopping and subway station within steps. I really could not have asked for a better location - E 52nd St and 3rd Ave.

As far as complaints I've read about the elevator situation I did not find this an issue at all and I used them several times a day. I think some want to push the button and instantly it appears. Yes, I agree there are hotels with 3, 4 + elevators but, they also have double, triple ect. the number of rooms. It's all relative. I have never been in a hotel where there was not sometimes a minute or two wait. Also, only once did I share the elevator with someone from housekeeping and it was not a problem. I actually felt kind of bad because she kept apologizing for riding the elevator with me. I kept telling her not to apologize and it certainly was not a problem.

This is a great little hotel - actually I really liked the fact that it is on the smaller side, more personal. It's in a great, safe location and the staff is excellent. Pretty much checks off my needs while traveling. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: My room, 1607 faced the back. Room was very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank rizan22
Lowell B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Midtown East, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Great insight and share! thank you for the 5 STAR review! The shelfs are being added as we speak to the showers, one of the last post-opening items. Hope to see you during your next trip to NYC!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bethel, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I needed a room midtown for one night. Just needed to sleep. I chose this facility sight unseen. Small lobby, friendly accomodating staff, refreshing water with citrus available in dispensers in the lobby. Check in was quick and staff was friendly.

I was given a room with a king sized bed on the 28th floor. The room was SMALL!!!! having said that, the room had a fridge and a coffee maker, microwave, a desk, etc. It was small but perfect.

The free wifi was welcome however the plugs in the desk area are an awkward distance from where the desk workspace is. It's doable but no wiggle room to move laptop or tablet around. That's a very small criticque.

Bathroom was clean. Grout was clean. Shower curtain was clean. Neutrogena bath products provided.

There's a small market/pantry right off the lobby. I purchased a large bottle of cold water and the price was very reasonable. I did not visit the Garden Grille but chose to have dinner delivered from a local restaurant.

I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank MaryJo10789
Thank you for the detailed feedback! And thank you for the 5 STAR review! We ahve shared your great comments and will assess actions. Come visit us again soon!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Very high quality hotel with friendly staff. Reception area was well-equipped with a business centre and complimentary refreshments. Had a good view of the city from the 26th floor. Our room was a double room with Queen beds, comfortable and well designed.

In our room were plenty of towels, an empty fridge for us to stock up, a microwave and coffee-making machine.

The breakfast consisted of a wide variety, very tasty and good value for money.

Location was perfect, 10-15 minutes walk to Central Park. Minutes walk to Madison Avenue and Fifth Avenue. Subway was very near as well.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ARG18
Wonderful 5 STAR review! Thank you for taking the time to share! see you soon!
Cheers!
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

I chose this hotel among other Hilton chain hotel because of the price difference with other Hiltons in the are, midtown.
It is well placed if you like to walk around or move by Metro.
It is close to the hop on- hop off buses stop, it will take between 3 to 7 blocks walk, depending if you are coming back or moving to Times Square or more to the south.
It is also close to Central Park and places where you can hire bikes.
The rooms are clean and well isolated. I did not hear noises from the streen, even I was on the 3rd floor. No city view from my room though, just a quiet street.
Breakfast has fresh fruit, yogurt, scrambled eggs, coffee...you name it.
Staff is very friendly with excelent attitude.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Alfredo M
We appreciate that you took the time to share your experience. Glad that you were pleased and hope to welcome you back in the near future!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Although this place has only been open a couple of months, it doesn't seem built to last. Plaster was already cracking in the bathroom around the shower and the bathroom wasn't particularly clean. The room otherwise was fine, typical Hilton Garden Inn quality. The hotel has an elevator problem. It is a very tall building and there doesn't seem to be a service elevator, so guests share the elevator with the maids, laundry etc. A couple times, we had to wait over five minutes to get spot on the elevator going up to our room--waiting behind carts of laundered sheets, towels, etc. Not the biggest deal, but not exactly ideal. Like most New Yorkers, the staff members take themselves a little too seriously, but they were competent and friendly enough. We had some rowdy neighbors one night and the security came up and asked them to quiet down (much appreciated). Location is very convenient to subway. Street was noisy, but that is to be expected in NY.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TCTraveler1983
Thank you for sharing the feedback regarding your stay! We have made serveral improvements to the elevators and it's alraedy showing. We will act on your thoughtful comments and feel comfortable that you will se the improvements during your next visit!
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 19 August 2014

New York City is always a very expensive location for a vacation. The Hilton Gardens is not cheap, but it is a good value for NYC. We thought that the beds were very good and it was convenient to have a Keurig coffee maker and mini-fridge. Our room was on the 23rd floor and the street noise was kept pretty limited. As other reviews have noted, there are only two elevators that have to serve 28 floors. We sometimes had to wait, but it never felt too long. The staff is friendly and helpful. The hotel is about 8 blocks from Grand Central and 10 blocks from Central Park.

Room Tip: None of the rooms are very large, but the corner rooms are a little larger. Higher floors have less...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Seth M
Thoughtful feedback! So pleased that your stay was comfortable and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
jacksonville
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We have visited NY on several occasions. This by far is the nicest hotel we have stayed in. It is newly renovated and is clean and spacious. We were on the top floor so sometimes we waited a bit for the elevator. That's our only downside. The staff was exceptionally pleasant. The room was large for what you would expect for NYC. There is a nice pub right next door where we waited for our room to be prepared for our arrival. It took only 1/2 hour and we were able to check in 3 hours early. We paid for a street view and it was lovely being on the 18th floor. There is a subway on the next corner, a drug store across the street, a Starbucks and Dunkin Donut close enough to walk. The smoking area outside was nice. To people watch and drink our coffee in the morning. We will be booking this hotel again next year.

Room Tip: We loved being on the top floor. The view was spectacular and the noise was not as loud as it would...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kbtoys928
Thank you for the 5 STAR review! Great comments on the location and staff! Still plenty to do for your next visit with us!
Cheers!