“Lively Cuban oasis in the heart of Midtown”

Havana Central Times Square
Reserve with OpenTable
Havana Central Times Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #305 of 14,125 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$25 - US$45
Cuisines: Cuban
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 6th & 7th
Transit: N,R,W trains at 49th St B,D,F,V trains at 47-50th St's N,Q,R,S,W,1,2,3,7 trains at Time Square
Description: Step through our restaurant's doors in Times Square and find yourself transported to the golden era of Havana, Cuba. It's a vacation complete with flavorful specialty drinks, classic Cuban dishes, circa 1950s decor, a festive live band, and a feeling that you're part of our family -- a true celebration of Cuban culture. Whether you're out taking a lunch break, enjoying happy hour after work, or settling down at the end of a long day of sightseeing, we can't wait to welcome you on a fanciful excursion to this fabled island.
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Last night, I ate at Havana Central for the second time, and I'm happy to say it was just as terrific as it was the first time I went there last September. A live ensemble provided toe-tappingly good Cuban music, the service was friendly and personable and the food was delicious. The servings are enormous and the quality is excellent. It compares favorably to any Cuban restaurant in Tampa or MIami. The empanadas were crisp and tasty, the queso fundido was flavorful and the ropa vieja was as good as home made. My husband had the pork lover's meal, which was presented on a 3 tiered serving rack and included ribs, pork and chicharrones that were meaty and crisp. His entree would have fed all 3 of us! The avocado salad was fresh and presented in the same generous portions as everything else. The mojitos were excellent and came in a variety of flavors for those inclined to something other than the classic. On top of all this, the prices were extremely reasonable for NYC. If loud environments bother you, this restaurant is not for you. But if you are looking for a lively, friendly atmosphere with authentic Cuban food - and very nice decor - it would be hard not to be delighted with this restaurant. I plan to visit whenever I'm in New York.

Reviewed 13 December 2011

We eat at HC every time we're in NYC (Time Sq area). I live in NC & my Cuban dining options are good but limited. For my husband (who is not Cuban) this is his go-to dining when we 1st arrive in NYC. So its usually our 1st meal in NYC. Reservations are highly suggested. If it's lunch time I'll make the reservation via Open Table on my IPhone while walking toward the restaurant. For dinner, I know they get swamped, so I would suggest making reservations ahead of time.

I know they have a couple of locations, but we've only gone to the one near Time Square.

The 1st time we ever walked in the doors was to get a quick espresso and liked the decor so much that we booked a table for that evening. And have been regulars ever since.

Reviewed 12 December 2011

I enjoyed the cuban sandwich and sweet potato fries.
Alcoholic drinks are expensive!!

Reviewed 12 December 2011

If you absolutely must eat in Times Square, Havana Central has great food and service and is open late. I don't usually love Cuban food, but I have to admit, it was all pretty good. Warning: The restaurant is VERY VERY LOUD. It's excruciatingly loud. It's almost too loud to talk across the table without shouting. If you'd like a bite and some salsa music after a Broadway show, it's a good option, but otherwise, I wouldn't make it a destination.

Reviewed 9 December 2011

We went here after seeing a Broadway show and it was delicious! I ordered the empanadas for an appetizer - amazing! For my meal, I had the chicken and garlic and others at my table had the pork which was amazing. Great dining experience with reasonable pricing!

Havana_Central, Public Relations Manager at Havana Central Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2011

Hello!

Thank you for the wonderful review of Havana Central! We are happy to hear you had an excellent time with us! The empanadas are definitely amazing! We hope to see you back in soon! Please let us know the next time you visit!

Kind Regards,