“Clean, Comfortable, and Budget Friendly”
Review of Hudson River Hotel

Hudson River Hotel
Ranked #377 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
“Clean, Comfortable, and Budget Friendly”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I stayed in this hotel last week for a business trip. It was within walking distance to the Javitz Center. The rooms were small but plenty comfortable. The room was very clean. The air conditioning/heater unit in the room didn't work correctly, but I was able to get it to do what I needed. I cannot say enough about the staff that work here. They are extremely friendly and very helpful. Since I am from California, I had questions about places to eat, etc. The front desk girl Lisa was very very helpful with all of my questions and needs. All of the staff, including the housekeepers and breakfast attendant were happy and helpful. The neighborhood is a little rundown, but I didn't feel unsafe walking at all. I definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Songbirdyss
General M, Manager at Hudson River Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Songbirdyss,
Thank you for choosing us, and for staying with us during your most recent trip to NYC. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay, and im glad that my teams were able to assist you with finding places within the city to eat at. I will follow up with Lisa about your feedback she will be pleased to hear she did a good job. Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I enjoyed my stay very much. Extremely friendly and helpful front desk staff and housekeepers. Amazingly quiet. Everything worked in the room. Bed comfortable. Free wifi, free breakfast, along with a sweet guy who makes your waffles to order. Neighbourhood a little low rent but easy to walk to everything I needed. No complaints at all. Great value for what I paid. I'd definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Steffi L
General M, Manager at Hudson River Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Steffi L,
Thank you for choosing us for your most recent stay at The Quality Inn Midtown West. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. I will follow up with Robin my breakfast attendant, he really is the best. I’m also pleased to hear you enjoyed the free breakfast and WIFI that we offer here. We definitely hope to see you again in the near future, hopefully by that time some of the new building and shops will be open around the neighborhood for you to visit. Thanks again.

Stafford VA
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Surprise! Surprise! A very small, comparatively inexpensive hotel in NYC can shine! Just returned from this Quality Inn while on a school field trip to the theatre district. Of course the rooms are extremely tiny, but they were fully equipped with everything you'd expect from an upscale hotel in NY. Beds were sooo comfy, slept very well, lots of pillows, blankets, iron and ironing board, hair dryer AND in room coffee maker. (Something we did not find at even the very pricey Millennium on 44th at $429 a night). While it was difficult to be there with 40 kids "fighting" for space in the rooms, the place was virtually spotless! Not a speck of dust, grime, or mold anywhere. Because I was a chaperone and had to visit a few rooms to check on kids on different floors, I used the stairs a lot. (The elevator was slow.) But the stairwells were immaculate, something you never see anywhere. Also, don't know how they did it in such a limited space, but the breakfast space and breakfast were outstanding. Full hot breakfast with lots of choices and a staff that were so polite, courteous, professional, smiling, friendly and helpful, I absolutely could not believe it. Each time we entered the hotel, the front desk personnel greeted us with a big smile and asked us how were we doing, did we enjoy ourselves, what could they do for us...I do travel to NYC quite often for shows, etc., and next time I will most certainly be forsaking the larger, more expensive hotels to stay at this Quality Inn. Try it! You'll love it!

Room Tip: Rooms are all basically the same from what I saw, but it was nice to have a room on the front of the...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mona W
Dear Mona W,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback of our hotel The Quality Inn Midtown West. We are pleased to hear that your trip went so well on your most recent stay with us. Travelling with that many people can become very hectic and we do our best to help you out any way we can. We are also glad you made use of our fitness stairs, almost every hotel has them but not many people use them these days, haha. Again we thank you very much for your review and I will follow up with my teams to show them your feedback they will love to hear it. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Shower did not work. Even though room was at the back of the hotel, it was noisy. Iron broken....water from steam setting drenched my clothes. Booked a room with 1 King bed...got 2 doubles. Location and breakfast good. Best to avoid.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
General M, Manager at Hudson River Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Honeysurfsthenet,
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for your review of our hotel. I would love to know the room you stayed in so I may inspect the items you had problems with. I’m sorry about the iron, but I will in the meantime send my housekeeping teams to inspect the irons in the rooms to assure that they are all working. I’m also sorry about the room type, on occasion when available, we do upgrade business travelers to rooms with two beds because we have found that some enjoy having the second bed to lay our paper work and or clothes. We will not assume this again with your reservation. We do hope that you would give us a second chance in the future, and we look forward to the challenge of making you think differently of us. Thanks for your feedback it will be shared with our teams.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Bath ,United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Considering the value price of this Hotel I found that it faired very well against other more expensive ones. The hospitality (second to none) far exceeded most others that I have encountered with a heftier price tag. Although the hotel has seen better days the standard of cleanliness was very good. The only issue I have is that the breakfast area furniture is too big for the area that it occupies therefore in busy times it presents a problem for seating.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Dear George M,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback of our hotel The Quality Inn Midtown West. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m also glad to hear that my teams were on point providing our guest with the best customer service possible. I’m sorry to hear about the breakfast area though. Yes it’s a cozy space and we have done the best we could with the space we have. We do allow guest to take their breakfast with them to their rooms if they so choose and we do offer take out containers for those on that need to duck in and duck out. Once again thank you for your review and for staying with us we do hope to see you again in the near future.

Atlanta
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Everyone was so nice and helpful. I injured myself in my trip and everyone was proactive in helping me, without me even asking. Rooms are very clean and warm breakfast was delicious. Location, price, and clean! I recommend this hotel and will stay there from now on!

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Funnygriga,
Thank you for your review, and for choosing us. We are very sorry that you got injured during your most recent stay with us. I’m glad to hear that my team made your stay a bit better by providing you with great service. We know it can be pretty hard to move around when hurt so we felt your pain a little bit. We hope to see you again in the near future, and hopefully an injury free visit as well, lol

New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I thought this hotel was extremely worth the price we paid. It seemed a lot less expensive than it should have been (and was cheaper in comparison to hotels just a few blocks away), because it is located 10-15 minutes max walking from Times Square, Penn Station, and Grand Central Terminal as well as the ever-popular High Line. The room size was on the small side, but it was efficient enough for two people and the smaller room sizes shouldn't matter to you anyways if you are really just going to sleep there and be out and about in the city the rest of the time. Plus, our king size bed was extremely comfortable. Breakfast was the same every day, but contained a pretty good variety of hot and cold/continental selections. I can't comment on housekeeping as we refused it with the "Do Not Disturb" sign, but they did come to our door once while we were there. My only complaints are that there is only one elevator and we were on the 7th floor, so sometimes we waited a good five minutes for it to come down. Also, we woke up very early one morning to an extremely loud, obnoxious noise above our room...we determined it was probably a heater. We called the front desk about it and I'm not sure what they did if anything, but the sound disappeared within minutes of the call. I would consider this hotel a "hidden gem" in a quiet (but definitely not secluded) area of Midtown. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone because of its ideal location and value prices, and I will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MHB490
General M, Manager at Hudson River Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear MHB490,
Thank you for your review and feedback. A hidden Gem huh? Why thank you. We love to hear that about our hotel The Quality Inn Midtown West. I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m sorry about that noise. I will follow up with my maintenance teams to see what it was and assure that it doesn’t happen again, but I am pleased that my teams got it addressed as fat as possible. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future, thanks again for choosing us.