“No value for money”

Ranked #364 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Keerbergen, Belgium
“No value for money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

stayed from may 1 till may 9 and payed about 300 dollars per night. This is too expensive considering the small size of the room, the duvet was not covered with a cover but with a loose sheet.The double bed was rather small for 2 adults. On the plus side: the room was clean and the man attending breakfast was very helpful.
Overall: too expensive for a 2 star hotel in that neighbourhood.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
General M, Manager at Hudson River Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Marleen 102014,
Thank you for your feedback. I’m sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations during your most recent stay.
We are just 2 blocks away from the nearest NYC train station. We offer a discounted rate for guest deciding to drive their cars into the city, while other hotels charge double the amount. We are located just a handful of blocks away from both Port Authority Bus Terminal, Penn Station Train Station, and the World Famous Madison Square Garden. We offer free hot American breakfast, while other hotels charge for theirs, and we also offer a very speedy WIFI internet service free of charge to our guest.
Yes our rates do fluctuate from one day to the next, as we must change our rates to stay competitive with other hotels within our area, but we are still cheaper or at least try to provide each of our guests with the best rate we can. Aside from the rate I am pleased that you found your room to be clean the entire 8 days you stayed with us and I’m also pleased that my staff was friendly and helpful and provided you with the best customer service possible during your stay as well. I do hope to see you again in the near future, and thank you for choosing us.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Firstly, I have to point out that the staff at this hotel is just wonderful. From my first call to arrange a block of rooms for 9, last minute at that, Assistant Manager James literally bent over backwards to accommodate us. We arrived, and Lisa at the front desk was lovely. This was our experience for the whole week- great helpful staff. The hotel is considered a 2 star budget hotel. The room was very clean, bathroom as well. Is it small? Yes, but this is NYC people! It's convenient to the Javits Center. If you want to shop on 5th Ave- stay there- and pay 600 a night! We had no problems getting cabs out front, and it was only a 10 minute walk to get a train. This is more a full disclosure statement rather than a complaint- The hotel is at the junction of the Lincoln Tunnel (great for getting in), so the street itself is not very pretty. It absolutely did not bother me, but I felt it only fair to share.
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: The rooms right off the elevator to the left have a much better view of the city!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank gri7358
General M, Manager at Hudson River Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear GN7358,
Thank you for staying with us at The Quality Inn Midtown West. We are so pleased that you and your group enjoyed your stay. I’m also happy to see that you found our hotel close to transportation and to most of the city attractions. I will also follow up with Lisa and review your feedback with her she will be happy to see that you enjoyed your stay. We do our absolute best to provide each and every guest with great customer service. Hopefully your group will be back in the near future and when that happens just give us a call. Once again thank you for your feedback and for choosing us.

San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I was in for a quick overnight, so not a lot to report. However, the staff I encountered were genuinely friendly, the room was (by NYC standards) fairly spacious, very clean, and in very good condition. The elevator was prompt (though I think there is only one), and never waited long for it in either direction.

Location is a bit odd (between 9th and 10th), but once you figure out the logistics, it's very easy to get around. Only downside is that it's not close to a subway line. It is, however, close to the convention center and a bus line that runs up 10th and back down 9th. Also the M34 bus (along 34th street) is pretty close.

The key is the people however. There can be some really inhospitable/nasty people in NYC (even in the service industry) but this hotel has a great staff who really go out of their way to ensure that the guests are comfortable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank rrz518
General M, Manager at Hudson River Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear RRZ518,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback of our hotel The Quality Inn Midtown West. I’m sorry that you found the subway not close to our hotel. I wonder if you were sent to the wrong entrance or to a different train station all together. The nearest one is only 2 blocks away from us, but as you saw we are close to busses running in either direction. We are also just a few blocks away from Penn Station and Port Authority Bus Terminal. You are also right that in some places there are some people that can be inhospitable and rude in NYC, but we do a good job making sure we surround ourselves and our guest with team members that understand what great customer service is. It also helps when guest such as yourself give us that feedback that my teams understand that and see what happens when you treat guest like family. Thank you again for choosing us and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Geneva, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

The best thing… Not having paid too much and having used this money to shopping.

Otherwise….

- The hotel is far from the metro stops and from the first place to visit or to eat. 15 minutes walking from Penn Station and not easy with the luggages.
- The Staff (not a hello, not a reaction when you enter the hotel)
- The size of the room
- The musty smell in the room during the stay.
- The lift that you should wait at least 5mn each time.
- The breakfast room (not at room…in the hall at the main floor). We never had breakfast because we did not feel comfortable to do at this hotel.
- The back and forth in the hotel from dodgy people who seem to be friends with the hotel staff !!
- To have squeezed the floor of our bathroom (at 11pm during 30mn) after the toilet blocked and because there was no one in the hotel except the receptionist. Luckily I asked the mop because the only idea of ​​the receptionist was bring us towels.

We spent two weeks in the U.S. and slept in 7 different hotels .... in this we had the worst reception and service during our two weeks. To think they know they are cheaper and they neglect people .... We do not feel comfortable and safe in this hotel.

Room Tip: Spend a bit more… too feel better during your vacation.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steph120887
General M, Manager at Hudson River Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Steph120887,
I’m sorry that the hotel didn’t meet your expectations. I would like to know which train stop you got off at because the stop closest to us is only 3 blocks away, and Penn Station a ½ a block further. I wish I knew why you didn’t feel comfortable at breakfast because my breakfast attendant gets such high remarks from our guest about his service. If you have the chance to contact me at the hotel I would love to speak to you further about your stay. Till then I thank you for your feedback and your review. I would hope that you would choose us again next time you’re in the city.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Tupelo, MS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Wanted close to Penn Station - it was not an easy walk with luggage- scary lonely walk home at night - should have taken taxi-- hotel itself - great price - great staff - small room as you'd expect - slept too late for breakfast - would I stay here again - for price yes- for location no

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Scribfam,
Thank you for your feedback of our hotel. I am sorry that the walk from Penn Station to our hotel wasn’t easy for you. I’m not sure if it was raining that day or not for you because Penn Station is about 3 blocks away. I am glad to her my staff helped you out during your stay. We hope to see you again when you come and stay with us, thanks for your feedback.

Goolwa, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Best staff possible that really make you feel welcome. Great breakfast with full marks to the cook. Location is very handy to west side wharves and Times Square just 10 minutes away. Much quieter with less sirens than more central locations. Would definitely stay there again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Graham M
Dear Chauffeuredmotor,
Thank you for your feedback of our hotel. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. I’m also pleased to see that you found our hotel close to Times Square and close to other attractions within the city. I will share your feedback with my staff. They love hearing the impression they make on guest during their stay. Thank again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

I stayed in this hotel last week for a business trip. It was within walking distance to the Javitz Center. The rooms were small but plenty comfortable. The room was very clean. The air conditioning/heater unit in the room didn't work correctly, but I was able to get it to do what I needed. I cannot say enough about the staff that work here. They are extremely friendly and very helpful. Since I am from California, I had questions about places to eat, etc. The front desk girl Lisa was very very helpful with all of my questions and needs. All of the staff, including the housekeepers and breakfast attendant were happy and helpful. The neighborhood is a little rundown, but I didn't feel unsafe walking at all. I definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Songbirdyss
Dear Songbirdyss,
Thank you for choosing us, and for staying with us during your most recent trip to NYC. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay, and im glad that my teams were able to assist you with finding places within the city to eat at. I will follow up with Lisa about your feedback she will be pleased to hear she did a good job. Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.