“A cozy, comfortable with a great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hudson River Hotel

Hudson River Hotel
Ranked #364 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Buenos Aires
“A cozy, comfortable with a great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Quality Inn Midtown West fulfilled my expectations! It certainly fits my needs:
The room is so clean and cozy, comfortable with a King size bed.
COmplimentary breakfast is included and it´s great to start the day with coffee, milk, fruits, muffins, yogur, corn flakes and the cherry on the cake: the delicious waffles specially prepared by a very pleasant and kind guy Thank you Robin!
Location is great ; close to times square, the high line and from there to Chelsea Market, soho...
The block where the hotel is based is a Little bit dark but once you step out of it, you will have all the main attractions so close to you!
I certainly recommend this Hotel. What makes it so special? the staff! James, Jenny, Precious (love your flashy shirts!), Robin, Lisa, Henmat, Hector Olecia, Nakia ,Joseph,Lawrence,Tarrant,Natacha, Cristine, Jackie, Jose and more THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING SO KIND AND CONCERNED!
See you soon!
Hasta Pronto!
Sandra Buenos Aires

Room Tip: I stayed on the 9th floor . It was very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Growns
General M, General Manager at Hudson River Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Growns,
Thank you for staying at the Quality Inn Midtown West we are delighted that we were able to meet all of your expectations. Our team is dedicated to providing the ultimate guest experience.
We look forward to your return trip to NYC. Thank you for you warm review and comments of your experience.
Quality Inn Midtown West

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Turkish first
Trumbull, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Recently stayed here and my overall stay was good.

Big pluses:
-Only 2 blocks away from the Javits Center
-Free WiFi
-Free breakfast
-Extremely kind and courteous staff, willing to go above and beyond for their customers.
-Reasonably priced
-Will hold your luggage for free after check out
-Significantly close to Times Square (15 minute walk, give or take)

The not so great:
-While there was free breakfast, I gotta say, the eggs they offered were...not great. I'm not entirely convinced that they were real eggs.
-The rooms? They are TINY. The tiniest I have ever been in, not good if you are traveling with a lot of luggage OR bulky/big luggage. The pillows were also very tiny, maybe a tad bigger than a traveling pillow, definitely not your standard sized pillow.
-At 6AM, there were really, really loud bangs and we couldn't find a source for the noise (no construction and no one directly next to us)

Overall, the pros outweigh the cons. This hotel is perfect if you're attending a convention at the Javits. But be warned, if you are going with large suitcases (or many!) you WILL NOT have enough space for it, especially if you're staying with 3-4 people. Unfortunately, I don't think I will be returning (and this is only because I do travel with large and multiple suitcases) but I do highly recommend it for the people who ARE packing light and are attending conventions. I also highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for an inexpensive alternative to the Times Square hotels.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank jaymcee01
General M, Manager at Hudson River Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Jaymcee01,
Thank you so much for your detailed review. We are pleased that the Pros outweighed the cons. I’m going to look at other options for our pillows and I will also look into different options for our eggs. Our rooms are cozy for guests who do travel with large suitcases. Next time you come back let’s see if we might be able to hold that luggage for you during your stay downstairs to give you some more room. As you said our staff here and myself included are willing to do whatever it takes to make your stay easier and more enjoyable. We do the best with what we have but in the end “extremely kind and courteous staff” is the most important amenity we have. I hope to see you again in the near future, come in on the weekend for a quick getaway and maybe a smaller suitcase.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Although my room was small it was clean and reasonably priced. Anything after that is a bonus. The staff was very helpful and the breakfast was good. Only 4 rooms on my floor and the air worked very good. Very close to convention center.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
General M, Manager at Hudson River Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Keith M,
Thank you for choosing us at The Quality Inn Midtown West. There are lots of bonuses to staying with us. We are just a block and a half away from the Javitz Center. We are a block away from the Lincoln Tunnel. We have discounted parking, walking distance to Times Square, shops, bars, restaurant’s, NYC transit, Madison Square Garden, and not to mention The High Line Park. Next time you stay with us be sure to ask anyone of our staff about these areas. Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Fredrikstad, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

This hotel is situated in the western part of central Manhatten with walking distances to Times Square, Madison Square Garden, Empire State Building and not at least Penn Station which gives you access to a number of subways and trains. In other words, it has a good location. Dispite the central location, it lies in a fairly quite street away from the worst traffic and noise.
The hotel is small in all aspects. This includes the rooms and reception/lobby area, the latter also functions as the place for serving breakfast in the morning and easily becomes crowded. The breakfast itself is simple and with few choices and is in no way any culinary satisfaction, but does the job of giving you some food to start the day.
The staff was moderatly friendly and helpful. They may have tried their best, but there wasn't too much enthusiasm and smile to see.
The hotel is of a decent standard and to a decent price for the location. It may be a good option for having a place to sleep in central Manhatten, which is a great area to be stationed as a tourist, but there isn't many other facilities or things to do at the hotel itself. It serves as lodging and that's pretty much it.
In summary I would say that there are plenty of other options around, of course, that for sure is better if price isn't a concern. But if you want a fairly low priced hotel at a central location, this place does the job of giving you a decent sleep in satisfying surroundings.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank myliontiger
Dear Myliontiger,
Thank you for staying with us on your most recent trip to NYC, and for your feedback and review. I see you saw how close we are to most of the areas of the city, whether it is by train, taxi, or bus. We are also just blocks away from Port Authority and we also have a parking lot that is affiliated with us that provides guests a place to park their cars at a discounted rate. We hope that next time you’re in the city, that you’ll consider staying with us again.

Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Great hotel if you are attending an event at the JJCC. Easy walking distance to the convention center and to some great restaurants. Breakfast area was a little tight on space but the selection of breakfast food was quite good. Will stay here again if my sister and I go back to NYC next year for the BookExpo.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Robbiemj,
Thank you for choosing us during your most recent stay. Yes you can’t get much closer than us to the Javitz Center. The surrounding area has seen such growth over the past couple of years and will continue to see more. In addition to the great restaurants around us we now also have a really nice gourmet supermarket just around the block from us. When you return next year for the BookExpo be sure to ask any of my staff to point it out to you so you can pick up some great snacks or one of their freshly made monster doughnuts. I say when you come back because I’m that confident that well see you again next year, but you don’t have to be a stranger until then, come back anytime.

Green Cove Springs, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Although the rooms are fairly small (as is typical of NYC hotels) the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff makes up for any "less than perfect" room. And who is in the room in NYC anyway. Beds were very comfortable and room was kept very clean. We will stay again!

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Lucelc,
Thank you so much for staying with us at The Quality Inn Midtown West. I know that we have made the right choices by surrounding ourselves with the best staff, because they provide the best customer service around. We thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Peabody, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

We had to travel for work on a budget. I found this hotel on booking.com at a reasonable price compared to NYC standards. The reviews said the hotel was clean so I booked 7 rooms.
The hotel is located on the west side so if you are driving in to NYC it's easy to get to off the Hudson Pkwy. The parking is right next to hotel for $25.00 a night which still is less than most.
The women Lisa that checked us in was delightful and greeting us every time we came in and out.
The rooms are very small and I mean small. I have stayed in NYC for decades and this was by far the smallest room. However it was very clean and the bed was comfortable.
Working in NY is a grind but this place was nice to rest after 12 hours days.

Room Tip: Get a room on the higher floors.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Kathy P
Thank you so much for your business and for your feedback. I’m glad you saw that we have a well discounted parking rate we offer to our guest driving into the city. I’m also pleased that you found the room to be clean and tidy. Our rooms are cozy for some guest, and for others it’s just the right fit for their needs, but what we may lack in space I know we make up in great customer service that rivals any other 4 or 5 star hotels. We treat every guests that come through our doors like family and I believe you saw a bit of that with Lisa. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again in the near future.