Blue Moon Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Sago Hotel(New York City)
  • Restaurant
Redford Hotel(New York City)
  • Breakfast included
Windsor Hotel(New York City)
View Hotel
Orchard Street Hotel(New York City)
  • Pool
Off Soho Suites(New York City)
  • Fitness centre
SIXTY LES(New York City)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewstenement museumlower east sideorchard streetwilliamsburg bridgebagelsnew yorkshared roomboutique hotelthe penthousefront desk clerkaround the cornerrestaurants and barssofa bedyour luggagestreet noisechinatownkatz
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 September 2008

We had 2 nights in this hotel. Larry and Antonella are a credit to the hotel. They provided great service and hospitality. They were a wealth of information and were so personable and friendly.

Hotel is a couple blocks from a subway stop and is ideally situated for sightseeing.

The view from the room was incredible.

Free internet access is provided in the lobby.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alandlea
Reviewed 17 September 2008

After popping in to see the charming lobby while wandering Orchard Street on a previous visit to NYC about 6 months, spent a nite in this little gem last week and found it a wonderful experience. My room, the Milton Berle, was on the funky side of "deluxe" but authentic , roomy and homey made up for it. The staff were terrific (especially Antonella, a most personal and helpful concierges; Larry, whose enthusiam for the history and the artifacts makes staying there feel like a privelege). I had the sense of setting up a temporary "home" there - in a way I've only experienced at B&B's and never in the New York Area.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank PrimeTimeW
Reviewed 16 September 2008

My girlfriends and I planned a one-night stay to the Blue Moon Hotel. Upon seeing their Web site and reading a handful of reviews, we were sold. The hotel is beautiful to look at, not like anything you've seen before.

We loved our room. The view could have been a little bit nicer; plus we had no idea we'd be sharing the balcony with a neighboring room. That information was conveniently left out upon booking. Even worse, the balcony door didn't lock. Other than that, the room was fine.

The problem then came later, or should I say a couple of days later. I checked my bank account (I paid with a debit card), and they charged me about $6,000 instead of the $600 that the room cost. You can imagine my panic. I called the hotel to ask them to reverse the charge -- this is just unacceptable. I was nice at first, it's an honest mistake. The man on the phone told me to call back! Okay, so my panic continues.

I call back 30 minutes later to speak to a woman named Shayna, who was very rude. She didn't even apologize for the mistake. The amount was so astronomical, I have no shame telling you that it made my account negative! I was so upset and explained the situation to Shayna (I had negative dollars to my name and it's just not fair, she'd have to fix it as soon as possible). Instead of her kindness and compassion, what I got was rudeness. In fact, she was speaking to someone off the phone, and I heard her call me an "irate customer" and mocked the fact that I was upset. I was in tears at this point because I absolutely needed my account to be brought back up to the accurate amount in order to buy groceries and pay bills for the month.

I asked Shayna if I can speak to her supervisor or someone else at the hotel who can assist me in a nice fashion, and she hung up the phone. I called back and told her that I needed for someone else to help me and she responds, "I thought we were done. There's nothing else I can do for you."

I've never encountered such poor service before in my life. In my line of work, I've gone to plenty of hotels and I've never received this kind of treatment. While the hotel is nice, the people that work in it (particularly this Shayna woman), not so nice. I will never go to this hotel again, let alone recommend it to any friends, relatives or the public.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
5  Thank brie11
BlueMoonManager, Manager at Blue Moon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2008

I would like to thank BRIE11 for her compliments about our hotel and the room, and yes, the hotel is not like any other. It is more like a museum than a hotel. Regarding the view, had BRIE11 taken the 7th or 8th floor front rooms, she would have felt as if she could touch the Empire State Building and Chrysler Building, and in the rear 6th, 7th and 8th floor rooms she would have felt as though she were sitting on the Williamsburg Bridge. Furthermore, the balcony door does indeed lock; all that is required is to lift the handle and turn the lock simultaneously. There is a diagram on the door itself, but a call to the front desk would have been in order.

I regret that BRIE11 decided to equate her entire experience at the Blue Moon with a human error by the front desk person, who punched in the wrong amount. However, he immediately corrected it.

Although I was not responsible for the error, I called BRIE11 back immediately after she called, and in the spirit of the best customer service which our hotel is reknown for I listened sympathetically, assured her that the correction was in effect and I called the credit card processor, conferencing her in (not “talking to someone off the phone”), in order for BRIE11 to personally realize that it was now her bank’s responsibility. When I spoke to the rep from the credit card processor, I tried to facilitate the correction of her problem and was able to obtain a verification of the transaction that she could provide to her bank, which did not as yet have the credit.

I tried to make the rep understand that the guest was very upset due to the delay in her bank’s processing. Regardless of the manner in which BRIE11 spoke to me, or more accurately, screamed at me, I remained focused on the matter at hand. I do not use pejorative terms in dealing with anyone, ever, not in my personal nor professional life. I reiterate the error was not mine; however as a representative of the hotel I apologized profusely. Perhaps she was too busy screaming at me to have understood any of this.

Signed,
Shain
Controller

I would like to say that it has been my good fortune to work with Shain this past year. She is calm, serene, imperturbable, unflappable, and collected with the most trying people and difficult situations. It is unfortunate that this guest had this experience, and more unfortunate that someone whose most identifiable trait is her equanimity and whose kindness and understanding is well known amongst her peers, and who no doubt tried to the best of her formidable ability and with the best of intentions to help this guest, should be so misunderstood and denigrated.

Signed,
Larry Mallory
Manager

Reviewed 15 September 2008

We wantied to experience another part of the city and this is a great place to feel more like a local than a tourist. Antonella and Larry are
two of the best desk -clerks/concierge in town. So helpful with directions and great suggestions on dining. The views on the 5th floor and above seem to be the best. Very relaxing and cozy feel to the hotel. Nicely located to subway stops and easy cab ride to entire downtown area.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank moccasincreek
Reviewed 9 September 2008

Loved the location. Lower east side blew us away. Very up & coming social scene. The hotel is right next to the subway for a quick ride uptown. The rooms were extremely large for New York standards and also very clean. The atmosphere, despite reviews to the contrary, was extremely quiet and tranquil. The bagels in the morning were delicious. The staff's service was truly impeccable. Larry, Andy, Antonella, and Randy were all excellent hosts! More than anything, they want you to have the best time possible. They are full of great recommendations and always go above and beyond your expectations. The only possible suggestion concerns the beds, which were a bit hard. Would highly recommend! Made a perfect romantic getaway.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple