“Blue Moon excellent”

Ranked #396 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Galway
“Blue Moon excellent”
Reviewed 12 December 2008

My fiance and I spent 4 nights at the Blue Moon Manhattan in December 2008. Its location in Lr East Side is some way from the main tourist areas of Manhattan but the subway service both uptown and downtown was very good. The area in some ways represents more authentic New York than much of midtown. Manhattan hotels are very expensive but this was better than most, worked out at €485 per night including tax. This was their most basic level of room but still very spacious with a good size balcony.

Breakfast was provided free, unusual in Manhattan though they do not have a restaurant for lunch or dinner. It's a small hotel with just 20 rooms - the upper level ones are fabulous with brilliant views but quite a lot more expensive. The managers are delightful, nothing was too much trouble and we got complimentary wine on arrival. The place had a great feel to it and we will certainly stay there next time we go to New York.

• Liked — Friendliness of managers, spaciousness of room
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jonathan_54

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Hebrew first
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed 7 December 2008

We passed this hotel by chance last year while exploring the Lower East Side and were intrigued by its charm and character. On this visit, we stayed here for 3 nights and it fully lived up to our expectations.

This converted tenement is obviously a labour of love for the owner whose meticulous attention to detail can be seen in every part of the hotel. The design of the spacious room was in keeping with the concept of the building, past and present.

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful, especially Larry and Antonella, both a source of invaluable knowledge on the history of the hotel and surrounding area.

We specifically wanted to stay in a downtown hotel to escape the usual midtown locations, preferring the feel of LES and the Village etc. However, you can quickly reach any part of the city from here as there are a few subway stops close to the hotel, the easiest being the F train from Delancey.

Would definitely stay here again and have no hesitation recommending the Blue Moon Hotel for anyone planning to visit the staple NYC landmarks or those looking to experience Manhattan from a different perspective.

• Liked — Design details.
1 Thank downtowners
Washington DC
Reviewed 21 November 2008

Why stay anywhere else? I found this little gem by chance back in Nov 2006 and I was immediately impressed. The Blue Moon hotel is like no other hotel in NYC from the location, décor, history to the cleanliness and superb staff this is a must stay. Oh! Let me not forget to mention the great price for a room that is HUGE. This is not one of those places that only posts pictures of the biggest and nicest rooms on their website, all the rooms look like that.
I just stayed there for the third time a few weeks ago. Coming from Washington DC I was greeted by Larry (and a glass of wine) who is not only a perfect gentleman put a great resource. He should write a book on customer service. He is truly and asset at the Hotel and I thank him for the great service and awesome dinner suggestions.
The night I arrived I ran into Randy the owner. To my surprise he remembered me and welcomed me back. Then he said he was going to check on upgrading my room for the following night. The next day we got back from touring around to find they put us in the penthouse Eddie Cantor room. Words really can’t describe this room and the view. I could write and write about this place but you will just have to stay there for yourself. Let me just say if you want to get a true sense for this great city this is the place to go. The nightlife is energetic, neighborhood like and very safe and the service makes me think of what it must have been like in and what my parents would refer to as “the good ole days”

• Liked — The decor of this historic hotel
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank djmus
London
Reviewed 20 November 2008

We didn't know too much about this place before booking, but were delighted when we stayed there. It's stylish, charming and quirky, and even the lower grade room we had booked turned out to be spacious and well equipped.
Activity bustles in the lobby which also serves as the breakfast area. Take a window seat and soak up the atmosphere with a very generous continental breakfast.
Manager Larry couldn't have been more helpful. He provided us with info and maps for getting about and took the trouble to walk us part way to a restaurant that he recommended close by - one among a number of very under-statedly fashionable bistros and bars in this area.
We'll definately return to the Blue Moon. With the dollar/pound exchange rate it's not a cheap option for Brits at the moment., but on leaving we were promised a great discount on our next trip there.

Mark & Juliette

1 Thank Markqwertyuiop
Richmond, Va
Reviewed 16 November 2008

We took a chance and stayed here last weekend due to the proximity to my daughters apartment a block away..... and I'm glad we did. We arrived at 9:30AM, which was well before the normal check in but no problem with Larry at the front desk. Larry looked after us throughout our two night stay and was more than happy to tell the history of the hotel and surrounding area. This is a small property with larger than norm room size for a hotel of this type in New York. Decor was in keeping with the Lower East Side tenement district which made for some intersesting and pleasing viewing. If you like real deli bagels and pastry you will really appreciate what's put out for breakfast each morning. All fresh and local. The Hotel is very clean and we found the entire staff to be friendly and supportive. We had them call us a car to JFK and am pleased to report no upcharge for this service. This was our fourth stay in New York in the last 15 months. All of our previous visits were spent in Midtown, which is about 40 blocks away. I liked the location of the Blue Moon, more of a neighborhood feel versus the touristy Midtown.

• Liked — Ownership visibility.
1 Thank rehokies
Chicago
Reviewed 8 November 2008

After staying at this hotel I must say that it was of the most pleasant and comfortable experiences I've had. I was very impressed by the large size of the room that I stayed in and the warmth and pleasantness of the service. Everything in the hotel is bursting with character, from the colorful art pieces and fascinating artifacts from the late 1920s. Most importantly it was a comfortable and unique experience, one that I would very much like to have again.

• Liked — Very Comfortable, Facinating History.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank alivingspirit
Netherlands
Reviewed 3 November 2008

I travel frequently for business and this time it was New York. I was very pleased with the beautifully decorated room, the relaxed atmosphere and the very helpful staff.
So much better then these hotel chains: it was a memorable place to stay and I will definitely revisit when i'm back in New York.

• Liked — the beautifully decorated rooms and lounge, the helpful staff
  • Disliked — plastic cups for breakfast
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business