“Incredible” 5 of 5 bubbles

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2009

Beautiful Rooms
Charming Ambience-Feels like the old Lower East Side

Very helpful staff
Only downside is we did not want to leave the hotel

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marcwmd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Hebrew first
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2009

I stayed at the Blue Moon Hotel downtown on Orchard Street with my girlfriend on Valentine's Day this year. We had a fantastic time. The hotel is hidden in a great neighborhood full of awesome places to eat brunch. The hotel is historic but romantic and very cozy as well. The hotel staff, headed by a very affable and informative man named Larry, greeted us and cordially helped us throughout our stay. The room was fantastic with a beautiful balcony, clean bathroom, confortable bed and very spacious. I highly reccommend this hotel for couples and/or anyone who wants to stay in NYC but away from up/mid-town and close to BK. Awesome location!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bhpavo
Chicago.IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2009

I stayed for two night at the Blue Moon Hotel the weekend of January 16 - 18. My room was charming and meticulously clean. Everyone was as kind and helpful as could be desired. This hotel is for people who love the unique and the original, and a flavor of New York from long ago. I will definitely book a room at the Blue Moon next time I visit New York.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Donaldsdottir
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2009

Blue Moon ranks at the top of all my travel experiences, and I'm a frugal, well-traveled, picky person. I am a self-employed writer, and every travel dollar has to be well spent because I don't have an expense account. But I like to treat myself well and feel safe, while experiencing whatever city I am in. Blue Moon met all my requirements, provided me with many special surprises: I'm a Hitchcock fan and Larry recommended a rarely seen film from their free-rental video collection. When I visit NYC (which is about once a quarter) I HAVE to have a good bagel, and the breakfast served downstairs every morning were some of the best bagels I've ever had (and even though I missed having whitefish salad, I'm glad they didn't have the smelly stuff in their lobby!). And the coffee was delicious, even though there was a Starbucks across the street, I felt no need to leave the hotel. The room was HUGE in NYC standards. I've stayed in many very nice hotels in the city from the Upper West Side to Park Central, I have never had a room this comfortable with a balcony and city view from my window for this comparable price.

When I arrived I received elegant care from all the employees. Each one had their specialty, from sharing the history of the building to DVD recommendations to restaurant recommendations. I came and went several times throughout the day and into the wee hours of the night and yet whenever I arrived I was always greeted like I was a family member.

I just realized, I probably should have been a better tipper, but I honestly felt so much like I was in a house full of my family that it didn't even occur to me. My bad. I hope they'll forgive me. But I guess that's another sign--that I never felt like anyone was doing anything for any other reason than they all just loved their "home" and wanted to make me feel comfortable. Larry did say he was from the South, so perhaps his innate sense of hospitality just came with ease. But that doesn't explain the rest of the staff.

Besides the fabulous treatment, the rooms and lobby and particulars are all meticulously renovated in keeping with the 1920s or earlier (I may have the date wrong) history of the building, everything is very modern and well-equipped. I heard Richard Price the author stayed there for 3 months while looking for an apartment. If my fantasy of having a pied a terre in NYC ever comes true, I'll be living in the Blue Moon Hotel and taking my time picking out a residence.

Blocks to Chinatown and Little Italy and Soho, it's the perfect location. If you need to be somewhere faster than the subway or your feet can carry you, the staff will call a car service for you in seconds. No more pricey than a taxi, and also very nice drivers.

I could gush more, but I think the truth is in the fact that I already know where I will be staying when I return in July, and Oct , and next January.

• Liked — the hospitality of the staff (owners?)
  • Disliked — I can't think of one thing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank AmyLizCalifornia
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2009

What a fabulous surprise the Blue Moon Hotel is. Its tucked away in the Lower East Side with no big flash frontage. But the minute you step inside the cheerful lobby, you feel as if you've been one of the family for ever.
Coffee, tea and a glass of wine are on offer as a welcome. Everyone who worked there went out of their way to help with advice, restaurant recommendations, information about the area and background to the historic aspects of the building. There is a great sense of respect and admiration for the history of the area amongst the people who work at The Blue Moon and they love sharing this information with those who have an interest.

The rooms are decorated in the period of the actors they are named after and each has its own distinct character. Rooms are well fitted out and have practical and aesthetically pleasing furniture which make them feel like a home from home. Great coffee supplied for the coffee makers in the room and a well appointed bathroom make the Blue Moon a very comfortable place to stay.

I would happily go back next time I visit New York City.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank member023
Orlando, Florida, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2009

The Blue Moon is a wonderful gem of a hotel—comfortable, ideally situated in Manhattan, and with a classy, artistic charm. The furnishing were all new, the rooms nearly soundproof, and the staff gracious and solicitous almost to a fault. The tastefully unified décor celebrates the history of the building, the neighborhood, and the stars of the early NYC theater. The location was perfect for our purposes, near Chinatown and Little Italy in the prime historic territory for tracing our ancestral roots.

Even better than the facilities, though, were the people. Our family of two grownups and two teenage girls came from Orlando in December but were faced with what could have been a vacation from hell due to luggage that was not just misrouted but totally lost. The Blue Moon staff, thankfully, was tremendously helpful in easing our problems, even going so far as to lend me a topcoat so that we could buy clothing rather than having to face the NYC weather in our Orlando short-sleeves (we had packed our heavy coats in our luggage). They eagerly provided well-informed histories of the area, the locations of excellent restaurants of all flavors, and suggested sites to visit with simple directions.

In all, we cannot say enough positive about the hotel and above all its people. You cannot go wrong by staying at the Blue Moon.

• Liked — The gracious, intelligent, and helpful staff.
  • Disliked — We liked everything!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Grouse77
brooklyn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2009

My family went to NYC for a rare weekend getaway this past August.
We went to The Blue Moon in the lower east side. What a trip to my youth . The hotel is a living museum. The entire place was painstakingly and lovingly restored. Art adorns every wall along with collages of actual newsprint and memorabilia. The lobby is so quaint and fun. Each room carries the name of the stars that I grew up with. Molly Picon,Jack Benny, Sid Ceaser.I found myself smiling, and enjoying the atmosphere. The rooms were well appointed,with a well stocked fridge,and coffeemaker, marvelous mattresses, indiv air conditioning controls, a DVD player and a T V. The lobby had a lending library of things to watch. Breakfast was informal. As soon as we went downstairs a fresh pot of coffee was prepared, the bagels and danishes were fresh and delicious.The entire family had a great time and everyone wants to go back again.We brought a car, but it is closely situated near many trains, and it's easy to get around the city from there.

• Liked — friendly comfortable environment
  • Disliked — I liked everything