“Elegant Large Rooms, Quiet Hotel, Great Service”
Review of Blue Moon Hotel

Blue Moon Hotel
Ranked #393 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Chicago
“Elegant Large Rooms, Quiet Hotel, Great Service”
Reviewed 25 February 2009

This is a quaint boutique hotel with large rooms that are quiet. Excellent service by the owners and staff. The hotel is excellently decorated with a lovely lobby, elevator, and halls. The size of the rooms are very large and comfortable compared to anything comparable in New York City. Excellent for a busy business trip, or a lovely romantic getaway.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank pearlgirlChicago

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Hebrew first
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 23 February 2009

Blue Moon is a former tenement building in the Lower East Side that's been converted into a luxury inn-type hotel through the work of a dedicated proprietor. The style is esoteric and very non-New York and includes touches from the original turn of the century building. We stayed in the Eddie Cantor room, which is a quintessential on the top floor with a small balcony. The room was more than big enough and comfortably appointed, but the real charm is the addition of artifacts from the original tenement that were put into collages by the proprietor. Bottom line: great, quiet, off the beaten path romantic hotel.

2 Thank alpinecow
drmarc
Reviewed 22 February 2009

Beautiful Rooms
Charming Ambience-Feels like the old Lower East Side

Very helpful staff
Only downside is we did not want to leave the hotel

1 Thank marcwmd
Washington, DC
Reviewed 20 February 2009

I stayed at the Blue Moon Hotel downtown on Orchard Street with my girlfriend on Valentine's Day this year. We had a fantastic time. The hotel is hidden in a great neighborhood full of awesome places to eat brunch. The hotel is historic but romantic and very cozy as well. The hotel staff, headed by a very affable and informative man named Larry, greeted us and cordially helped us throughout our stay. The room was fantastic with a beautiful balcony, clean bathroom, confortable bed and very spacious. I highly reccommend this hotel for couples and/or anyone who wants to stay in NYC but away from up/mid-town and close to BK. Awesome location!

1 Thank bhpavo
Chicago.IL
Reviewed 28 January 2009

I stayed for two night at the Blue Moon Hotel the weekend of January 16 - 18. My room was charming and meticulously clean. Everyone was as kind and helpful as could be desired. This hotel is for people who love the unique and the original, and a flavor of New York from long ago. I will definitely book a room at the Blue Moon next time I visit New York.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Donaldsdottir
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 25 January 2009

Blue Moon ranks at the top of all my travel experiences, and I'm a frugal, well-traveled, picky person. I am a self-employed writer, and every travel dollar has to be well spent because I don't have an expense account. But I like to treat myself well and feel safe, while experiencing whatever city I am in. Blue Moon met all my requirements, provided me with many special surprises: I'm a Hitchcock fan and Larry recommended a rarely seen film from their free-rental video collection. When I visit NYC (which is about once a quarter) I HAVE to have a good bagel, and the breakfast served downstairs every morning were some of the best bagels I've ever had (and even though I missed having whitefish salad, I'm glad they didn't have the smelly stuff in their lobby!). And the coffee was delicious, even though there was a Starbucks across the street, I felt no need to leave the hotel. The room was HUGE in NYC standards. I've stayed in many very nice hotels in the city from the Upper West Side to Park Central, I have never had a room this comfortable with a balcony and city view from my window for this comparable price.

When I arrived I received elegant care from all the employees. Each one had their specialty, from sharing the history of the building to DVD recommendations to restaurant recommendations. I came and went several times throughout the day and into the wee hours of the night and yet whenever I arrived I was always greeted like I was a family member.

I just realized, I probably should have been a better tipper, but I honestly felt so much like I was in a house full of my family that it didn't even occur to me. My bad. I hope they'll forgive me. But I guess that's another sign--that I never felt like anyone was doing anything for any other reason than they all just loved their "home" and wanted to make me feel comfortable. Larry did say he was from the South, so perhaps his innate sense of hospitality just came with ease. But that doesn't explain the rest of the staff.

Besides the fabulous treatment, the rooms and lobby and particulars are all meticulously renovated in keeping with the 1920s or earlier (I may have the date wrong) history of the building, everything is very modern and well-equipped. I heard Richard Price the author stayed there for 3 months while looking for an apartment. If my fantasy of having a pied a terre in NYC ever comes true, I'll be living in the Blue Moon Hotel and taking my time picking out a residence.

Blocks to Chinatown and Little Italy and Soho, it's the perfect location. If you need to be somewhere faster than the subway or your feet can carry you, the staff will call a car service for you in seconds. No more pricey than a taxi, and also very nice drivers.

I could gush more, but I think the truth is in the fact that I already know where I will be staying when I return in July, and Oct , and next January.

• Liked — the hospitality of the staff (owners?)
  • Disliked — I can't think of one thing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank AmyLizCalifornia
London
Reviewed 21 January 2009

What a fabulous surprise the Blue Moon Hotel is. Its tucked away in the Lower East Side with no big flash frontage. But the minute you step inside the cheerful lobby, you feel as if you've been one of the family for ever.
Coffee, tea and a glass of wine are on offer as a welcome. Everyone who worked there went out of their way to help with advice, restaurant recommendations, information about the area and background to the historic aspects of the building. There is a great sense of respect and admiration for the history of the area amongst the people who work at The Blue Moon and they love sharing this information with those who have an interest.

The rooms are decorated in the period of the actors they are named after and each has its own distinct character. Rooms are well fitted out and have practical and aesthetically pleasing furniture which make them feel like a home from home. Great coffee supplied for the coffee makers in the room and a well appointed bathroom make the Blue Moon a very comfortable place to stay.

I would happily go back next time I visit New York City.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank member023