“Amazing Hotel-Excellant Staff!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sarasota, Florida
“Amazing Hotel-Excellant Staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

The hotel and staff was amazing! We had a Times Square view room on the 56th floor and it was well worth it! Our concierge Edwin the best hotel front desk person I have EVER dealt with. Anything we needed or wanted, there it was. If you go, ask for Edwin and all of your needs will be taken care of.

My only complaint was that like everyone one else, the sheets. We had read the reviews and that wasn't going to stop us from going, but boy, that was an experience. I ended up putting 2 shirts over the pillows to soften the sleep.

Very good location of the hotel, subway is one block away.

Overall, I would stay again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: I just asked for the highest floor possible, great views!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

First & foremost I have to say that the staff were amazing! Every single person we came in contact with was super friendly & helpful! Edwin was so sweet. We had mentioned that we were there for our 1 year anniversary & on the day of our anniversary he himself brought up a platter of fruit & cheese along with a small bottle of wine. What a nice personal touch that was & so thoughtful! The room was beautiful with a great view of Times Square. We were on the 56th floor so we got a great view of the Hudson as well.

The few things they need help with are the rough noisy sheets. You cannot open the fridge if the bathroom door is closed. The bathroom door is a slider door & doesn't give you much privacy because it doesn't stay closed all the way. I also noticed that the closet door would hit the front door arm when we opened it.

With all that said, I would definitely stay here again! The location is perfect & there are subway stations close to the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

The external view of the hotel was spectacular, you couldn't help but look up at it from Times Square. The staff were brilliant, we were greeted by George, who put us in room 5202 which has a corner position, with views out over the whole of Central Park, plus views over Manhattan and Times Square.

The room itself was lovely, fitted out well and a fab kitchen, although we were baffled to see pans, but no stove? Maybe they are portable and brought to the room (we thought?).

The free breakfast was ok. I say just ok as it was never fully hot and being in America, when it comes to eggs you think American bacon, but there was none? Always a sausage pattie?

But, when you stay at a hotel, the main purpose is to have a place to sleep! The bed looked fab.. Large and comfy ... Until we got into it. The sheets were terrible. Noisy and itchy! I have never experienced noisy sheets before, but they woke you up when turning over or woke the person next to you if getting up to use the bathroom. Also they were scratchy. Meaning you itched as you lay there. We complained and were told that they'd had a lot of complaints so the hotel knew all about this. You can also read other peoples experiences of "the sheets" within other reviews (some of which are a month or so old). Needless to say, we didn't sleep very well at all.

I would love to return to this hotel, but the sheets were really a problem, so would need to know this issue had been rectified first. I can appreciate its a new hotel (opened end of Dec 13), so given the level of complaints, you would think this issue had been sorted... But not yet. We stayed there 27th Feb - 2nd March.

Would have been wonderful otherwise!

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Zoe M
Allentown, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

I spent a night between meetings at this new Residence Inn. I was greeted in the lobby and checked in by an effusive fellow New Jerseyan. It was an excellent check in experience. I was given a room on the 63rd floor with a view south into Times Square and Manhattan. The view was spectacular. The room itself was very modern, clean, quiet, and comfortable. It would be ideal for a longer stay as it had a small kitchen, fridge, freezer, dishwasher, etc. Being Manhattan, there are many restaurants and theaters within blocks of this hotel. I very much enjoyed my brief stay.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Gainesville, florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Booked a 5 night stay with my husband to see the city and a couple of shows. This was out 4th trip to the city and we decided to try this brand new hotel. First, it is quite impressive in appearance and the lobby is simply beautiful with very unique artwork throughout the lobby and common areas. My early checkin was easy and my request to change rooms to a higher floor for a better view was accommodated quickly.

I was in room 5206 and although around the corner from the elevators, I agree with a previous reviewer that the elevators do make quite a bit of noise. Ummm, it sounds like ducks quacking actually and my husband and I found ourselves looking out the windows for ducks before we actually figured out what the source was.
The room is quite small but inline with other NYC hotel room sizes. They do manage to streamline their room to the point that it lacks a bit of function. For example, there is virtually no dresser space, just three small drawers that actually belong to the desk. The closet is super tiny and the inside is mostly taken up with the large safe. Now, you have to understand that you can only stay in the Residence Inn side if you stay 5 nights or longer so, chances are, you have a bit of clothing that you need to put away. Right?

There is NO place to store your luggage either. We ended up putting it up above on a ledge thing that was in the kitchen above the sink and microwave. If the ledge hadn't been there then I don't know where it would have gone. There is no storage for food items except the counter because the cupboards are all taken up with microwave, dishes and silverware. They really could compile the. Dishes and flatware into one cupboard and they really need to because the counter is always cluttered.
The fridge it pretty neat and I liked it a lot with the modern drawer style. Just a little FYI, with the close proximity of the sliding bathroom door to the drawer of the refrigerator, you are unable to open the fridge if someone is in the BR with the door closed. But, if you are sitting in the BR and are hungry or thirsty you can just open the BR door and the fridge and easily grab a snack.

All in all I'd like to give it 5 stars but they do have to figure out a few things. Additionally, the room keys are, in theory, a wise idea for safety and security to a certain point. The fact that you need to swipe your key to even activate the elevator to go to the lobby is is problem. If there is an emergency, if you accidentally lock your self out, forget your key or give it to your partner or spouse to retrieve something from the room you are stranded. If you do not have a key you can not activate the elevator. Period.

We also had experiences with extremely long waits for the lift, the elevator stopping at several floors where no one was waiting etc....

The guest laundry was convenient and the RI breakfast was very, very good. I would without a doubt stay here again despite the shortcomings it has right at the moment. These things are all very fixable and I've no doubt that things will improve. It is in a fabulous location with great staff.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank KimC40
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

Wasn't at all what I expected! When I opened the door it was like stepping into a small apartment in Rome. Colors were vey New York and an elegant touch. The kitchen area was small but the design made it efficient and quite attractive. The bathroom was roomy with a great shower with terrific water pressure. The bed was comfortable and although small, it was just right. The size was made up in the " Great Room" where breakfast was served, the room was floor to window with most people sitting looking out, watching Manhattan wake up. Breakfast was great, food good in taste and variety. You can also come to the "Great Room, throughout the day to use computers or stretch out and read. " They also have adopted the "new" card key system, showing an interest in security. Lights are also powered by the key system, showing an interest in being energy efficient. Staff was friendly and seemed interested in our being comfortable. Wi Fi in the rooms was FREE! We will be back.

Room Tip: High floor either city or time square is great.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HalloweenOwl
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

I booked a room for a weeks holiday treat for my partner. While the hotel has a 'business feel' (only one armchair in a room means its more for singles than couples) we had a very enjoyable and comfortable stay in our city view room with a view of central park to the north.

The room was quite small for a residence inn, but it's in NY, and theres that view.

Throughout the week the staff were superb, made their duty to appear friendly seem authentic, maybe it was!

I'd stay here without hesitation again.

Great location with useful subway stations within a few blocks for most destinations. In addition its very close to an E line subway station, which means an easy ride from the JFK air train via Jamaica station even if you have some luggage.

Room Tip: Our room on the NW corner was great, possibly XX02 where XX is the floor number.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple