“Travel for a living and still "wow'd" by this property”

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Central Park
Ranked #114 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Salisbury, Maryland
“Travel for a living and still "wow'd" by this property”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I came here for business. I was truly wow'd by my experience at the Residence Inn Times Square. The one thing is the address indicates it is 1717 Broadway, but the front of the property is on 54th Street, so if you have a cab take you there, tell them you want to end up on 54th and Broadway. It is close to everything yet not in the middle of it. I went to see "Wicked" and it was a 3-block walk so it was perfect. The rooms are in typical NYC fashion on the smallish side, but everything was beautifully appointed and so clean. Lovely in decor. The dishwasher, fridge and so on were in drawers with an ultra-modern look and feel to the room. Floor-to-ceiling windows in the bedroom part of the suite with a view of Times Square from my room. The bed was uber comfortable, the temperature was easily controlled. The shower was a true rain shower experience with a walk-in glass shower stall.

You go to floor 4 for your free breakfast. Unlike the traditional Residence Inns, they do not have the evening social hour with food, so you will plan accordingly. This property shares space with Courtyard, so the Courtyard's Bistro is on floor 3 where you can get Starbucks coffee and the regular Courtyard Bistro fare. But if you want a latte, right across the street is a true Starbucks. There is a gym on site, as well as laundry and ice machines on floor 35.

I now can't wait to come back and bring my husband with me for a weekend in New York City. We'll definitely stay here. I am in hotels 50 weeks a year. This one really did impress me!

Room Tip: The room I had was next to a corner room. I was on the concierge level so it was nothing but busine...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Debra919

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Charlotte, USA
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I believe this hotel opened fairly recently, great location, great rooms, mine had an exceptional view of the park and city. Near central park and times square, also good location for business trip. Fitness center wasn't as large as some hotels, but was nice and had enough equipment when I was there. Good service from staff too.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Just got back from a weekend in NYC and I cannot say enough about the RI Central Park. EXCELLENT location- just 4 blocks back from the Park & a short walk to Times Square.
Rooms are great- size is what you would expect for NYC and they were beautiful & clean.
Cannot say enough about the customer service- the staff is incredibly friendly, gracious, and accommodating. (A special thanks to Kenaya, Gloria, and Amy for all of their help- you went above & beyond!!) We were greeted warmly every time we walked back in (even greeted our Yorkie by name! My son accidentally purchased the enhanced wifi & they promptly took it off of our bill when I explained that. They graciously extended us a late checkout as I was running the NYC Half & was late getting back to change & pack up. Every question or request we asked was met with a smile & helpful answer.
I will definitely be staying here any time I go back to NYC. Thank you to Residence Inn Central Park for being part of a wonderful family weekend!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank alannao291
Rugeley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This is by far the best hotel I have stayed in, possibly ever. The service I received right from check in was second to none. Amy greeted us with a huge smile and was nothing but accommodating during our whole stay. She made us feel so welcome and we even extended our stay by 2 days because we got on so well with the staff. The room was excellent boasting a phenomenal view of Central Park from the 54th floor. We had a kitchen in our room which we didn't expect but was a huge plus for us. The microwave and free popcorn was a great little extra too. I have nothing bad to say about this hotel at all. The breakfast was delicious (although closing breakfast at 9:30am was a little early. Wish we could have had extra time in bed!) There is a great range of food available for breakfast, including fresh waffles! The room was stunning, good sized comfy bed, beautiful bathroom, big TV. We almost didnt want to leave our room. The hotel itself is in a great location for both central park and Times Square.

I cannot recommend this hotel and it's staff enough. Amy deserves a mention because she really did make our stay!! Great Hotel, great staff. Very happy customer!

Room Tip: Ask for a high up room, over looking Central Park. The views are breathtaking! You can even see the...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michelle C
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The hotel and staff was amazing! We had a Times Square view room on the 56th floor and it was well worth it! Our concierge Edwin the best hotel front desk person I have EVER dealt with. Anything we needed or wanted, there it was. If you go, ask for Edwin and all of your needs will be taken care of.

My only complaint was that like everyone one else, the sheets. We had read the reviews and that wasn't going to stop us from going, but boy, that was an experience. I ended up putting 2 shirts over the pillows to soften the sleep.

Very good location of the hotel, subway is one block away.

Overall, I would stay again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: I just asked for the highest floor possible, great views!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 8 March 2014

First & foremost I have to say that the staff were amazing! Every single person we came in contact with was super friendly & helpful! Edwin was so sweet. We had mentioned that we were there for our 1 year anniversary & on the day of our anniversary he himself brought up a platter of fruit & cheese along with a small bottle of wine. What a nice personal touch that was & so thoughtful! The room was beautiful with a great view of Times Square. We were on the 56th floor so we got a great view of the Hudson as well.

The few things they need help with are the rough noisy sheets. You cannot open the fridge if the bathroom door is closed. The bathroom door is a slider door & doesn't give you much privacy because it doesn't stay closed all the way. I also noticed that the closet door would hit the front door arm when we opened it.

With all that said, I would definitely stay here again! The location is perfect & there are subway stations close to the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

The external view of the hotel was spectacular, you couldn't help but look up at it from Times Square. The staff were brilliant, we were greeted by George, who put us in room 5202 which has a corner position, with views out over the whole of Central Park, plus views over Manhattan and Times Square.

The room itself was lovely, fitted out well and a fab kitchen, although we were baffled to see pans, but no stove? Maybe they are portable and brought to the room (we thought?).

The free breakfast was ok. I say just ok as it was never fully hot and being in America, when it comes to eggs you think American bacon, but there was none? Always a sausage pattie?

But, when you stay at a hotel, the main purpose is to have a place to sleep! The bed looked fab.. Large and comfy ... Until we got into it. The sheets were terrible. Noisy and itchy! I have never experienced noisy sheets before, but they woke you up when turning over or woke the person next to you if getting up to use the bathroom. Also they were scratchy. Meaning you itched as you lay there. We complained and were told that they'd had a lot of complaints so the hotel knew all about this. You can also read other peoples experiences of "the sheets" within other reviews (some of which are a month or so old). Needless to say, we didn't sleep very well at all.

I would love to return to this hotel, but the sheets were really a problem, so would need to know this issue had been rectified first. I can appreciate its a new hotel (opened end of Dec 13), so given the level of complaints, you would think this issue had been sorted... But not yet. We stayed there 27th Feb - 2nd March.

Would have been wonderful otherwise!

• Stayed February 2014