“Wonderful location” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles
“Wonderful location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Nice new hotel with wonderful linens and a great bed. Small room with what-to-do-with pots and pans. They are suffering new property pains; for example, our dishwasher would run for hours but not complete the cycle. Maintenance did respond promptly to problems. We should have asked for a room with a view of the Park; we got a view looking east from the 57th floor which was OK.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank HikerDave2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Location x3, incomparable views of Central Park, excellent service, strikingly beautiful decor. And the little things that all add up to a room you don't want to leave, even if you're in NYC: a thermostat that gets the room nice and cool at night; a comfortable bed with ample pillows; a state-of-the-art HD television located in the perfect place for viewing in bed; a window that opens for fresh air; (near) high-end shampoo, soaps, etc.; a well designed, clean room; free breakfast.

I've been fortunate in that I've been Marriott Platinum for the last few years and have stayed in a lot of nice Marriotts. This has to be one is on my top three favorite list (with Champs-Elysses and Maui Waiea Beach).

In the Tripadvisor reviews below, you'll notice that the manager actually takes time to respond to issues, which is demonstrative of his desire to make things perfect, even if the complaints are in my opinion: frivolous (let's keep things in perspective, folks. You're in NYC, near the Theater District, Times Square, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall. You've got a room in the middle of some of the most expensive real estate in the world).

We got up early on a Friday morning, had a good (free) breakfast, came back to the room and saw on TV that Mariah Carey was performing on the Today Show within the next few minutes. We walked over and heard her perform 4 songs. What a location! What a great hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LesDye
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

I visited for four nights in May. The hotel is 1 block from the 7th ave B,D E subway and 2 blocks from 57th/7th avenue N,Q,R subway. Both subways and take you anywhere you want to visit in 20 minutes or so. The hotel is just a few blocks from Central Park and within walking distance to the Theater district. I had a room on the 65th floor with an amazing view of the city and a glimpse of central park. The room was relatively quiet however I could hear wind one evening as it wrapped around the building. I checked to insure the small window at the bottom of the window pane was shut, it was.

The hotel is not marketed as a luxury hotel but rather an upscale all suite hotel with full kitchens. This is a new hotel with a newly efficiently designed room. Unlike other residence inn's, the rooms here are just one room with a full kitchen. The footprint of the room is small but nicely designed to give a feel of a larger space primarily due to the large windows. The kitchen has a refrigerator, freezer, dishwasher, microwave, crock pot, toaster and standard dishes/glasses/silverware all nicely fitted in the entry of the room. All are nice amenities to have if you want a quick snack in your room. If you are looking for a stove top in the Kitchen or a larger room with perhaps a table to eat at, you will want to stay at the residence inn midtown east.

The hotel is clean and I found the staff to be friendly. The front desk person - Jen is especially friendly and helpful upon check in. I checked in around 5 pm with only one person in front of me. Check in and check out process was quick and efficient. The breakfast closes at 9:30 AM during the week and 10 AM on weekends. The breakfast was fine with what is expected from residence inn - hot and cold selections from scrambled eggs/sausage/fresh cantaloupe and honeydew melon/yogurt/cereals/muffins/waffles. Good selection. Due to the number of guests, the hotel is constantly refreshing the breakfast bar. If you find the fresh fruit all gone, just wait a few minutes and more will arrive. The breakfast space is nice with both bar areas and lounge areas. It can fill up quickly given the number of guests it supports. I visited the breakfast bar around 9 AM each morning and found plenty of food still available. Some days the breakfast room was very busy and full. Staff was doing a good job keeping the place clean and picking up dishes.

I also agree with previous reviewers. The bed's are really comfortable. The room decor is nice. The towels are new and fluffy. You have a choice of pillows - foam or feather. However, the sheets are not soft or silky smooth like you find at a luxury hotel. They appear to have starch and may have been ironed, so they give a nice tailored look. But, to be honest, they did not interfere with my sleeping. Sure, given a choice, I too like a 1000 thread count sheet that is silky smooth, but that is not what I expect from an extended stay hotel or 3 1/2 star hotel. Don't expect bedding from a luxury hotel like the Ritz Carlton when you stay at a residence inn.

I never waited more than 4 or 5 minutes for an elevator and only stopped on a few floors on the way down. The hotel is secure as you need a room key to access the guest floors and need a key to entry the hotel after a certain time at night. One night, I arrived around 1 AM and needed a key to entry the lobby. They also have staff on duty in case you did not have a key to entry the lobby.

Overall, good stay. Just what I expected for the residence inn. Would I stay here again? Yes, I would. With all of the comments about the sheets, I am surprised that the residence inn does not do something to improve the experience.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are quieter. Rooms ending with 03 face the city/east river with only glimpse of cen...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Troy08
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

After four nights at the RI, I have mixed feelings about this newish hotel. We booked a two twins room with a Central Park view, and that is what we got. Beautiful large room with two big beds and two walls of windows facing Central Park and the Hudson. Stunning scenery! The room was very spacious, bathroom a bit tiny. Kitchenette was in the hallway, out of sight. Best things obviously was the amazing view of the park.
Sheets. I dont´t know why they don´t act on this. The sheets are horrible. My son seriously had problems getting a good night sleep (very sensitive skin). I woke up every time he moved and we weren´t even sharing a bed. Take your own sheets with you if you can, beds are fine!
Fridge. The fridge in the hallway kitchenette made a terrible noise. Not all the time, but every single night I woke up because of the alarming noise that lasted some 30 minutes or so. I told the clerk at the reception on the first morning, and the second, and the third. Every time she said someone would be sent to check it out, yet nothing changed nor was there a note in the room that someone had tried to do something about it. Very bad. If you are suffering jet lag and trying to get some sleep, this makes you go crazy.
Breakfast and lounges of 3rd and 4th floor. Nothing negative to say about these. Just superlatives! Breakfast very nicely done in a stylish lounge and the wait staff was the best in the house. The two ladies I met every morning were talkative, friendly, helpful and just amazing women. The girls at the reception should take a look!
Location is this hotel´s biggest asset. Park being just a few blocks away makes it just perfect. And Times Square is not right on your feet, which is good.
So, average or very good? If you want a fancy lobby scene, luxury and pampering, RI is of course not for you. But if the money is right (now it was very expensive) you could have a great stay with a family. Just bring your own sheets!

Room Tip: Nothing beats the Central Park view. Twin rooms ending with 09 face the park and the Hudson. Beautif...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank familyof4Finland
Somerville, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

We came to NYC for a graduation and only stayed one night. Our 23 year old daughter stayed with us. Fortunately she had brought a sleeping pad and sleeping bag because the hotel was fully booked, and there was no room for a cot. The room was the smallest hotel room I think I have ever stayed in. The furniture and general decor was very modern and new, and looked quite nice. They did place us on the 64th floor and we had AMAZING views of times square etc. The king sized bed was very comfortable - just the right amount of firmness.

Three negative items resulted in only a "3". 1) the sheets were awful. Not sure if it was low thread count, or they just used too much starch on them or something but they literally "crinkled" when you moved around. I woke up every time I rolled over because of the noise of the sheets! 2) There was no effort to be environmentally consciencious. There was no recycling bin. No notice about re-using your towels (although we only stayed one night anyway). I am very concerned with the environment and would appreciate more of an effort. PLEASE. 3) It was a Residence Inn and had a pretend kitchen. But the refrigerator was OFF and we couldn't get it to turn on. We called the front desk and they said they would send someone up but they never did.
Best thing about the whole experience was the location.
Gave Value a "5" because we used frequent stayer points and our room didn't cost us anything.

Room Tip: Higher floors naturally have better views and better light. But you have to wait longer for the ele...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank MarcelMacnz
Timothy M, General Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Central Park, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you MarcelMacnz for sharing your experiences, and congratulations on the Graduation! I'm sorry the room booked was a room with one bed. We do have rooms with 2 full size beds in them for people sharing a room with more than 2 people, it's possible those room types were sold out and not available when you were making your reservation. I was VERY pleased to see you found our views amazing (a word many of our guests are apt to use when describing the views outside their windows!) and appreciated our decor, furnishings and bed!

I was pleased to see you share our passion for sustainability, recycling, and green initiatives. Our garbage carter in NYC practices Zero Sort recylicng, so our housekeeping staff puts our room garbage out in clear plastic bags to facilitate this process (and eliminating the need for recycling bins in our rooms). Our kitchen waste is also seperated, including our waste vegetable oil which is collected seperately and provided to a recylcer who processes it into bio-diesel. We're even establishing a bee colony on our roof, to aid in helping maintain and establish the honey-bee poplulation in our own small way. Once established, some of the honey (that not used by the bees) will be harvested and used in signature drinks in our lounge. Talk about locally produced! We also obtain all our dairy products from a small family owned dairy farm less than 2 hours from NYC, RonnyBrook Farms (there really is a Ronny!). We do have a linen re-use program in our hotel, I apologize the instructional cards were not in your room. I have shared this feedback with our Exectuive Housekeeper so he can use the example as a re-training exercise to prevent this from occuring moving forward.

Thank you again for choosing the Residence Inn by Marriott New York Manhattan/Central Park. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to New York City!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Do not expect this hotel to be like a Marriott. No shower cap, slippers, cotton buds etc. It has drawers full of pots and pans but no stove. No room for clothes or suitcases and we stayed 10 days. Air-conditioning is temperamental. However, we had no problems with the breakfast and the bed is super comfy. The location is great and we have travelled Manhattan from here mainly by subway or on foot due to constant traffic congestion. The fire alarm sounding at 5 am 2 days in a row when you are on the 65th floor is not funny and the Management need to look at the placement of this alarm in the front foyer. Would recommend but be careful of room location.

Room Tip: We were "upgraded" to a better view but a smaller room on a lower floor. Floor plans vary...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you Robert S for sharing your comments. I apologize for the early morning false alarms, we took steps to correct the issue so false alarms can not be triggered due to the location of the pull alarm and iandvertantly being tripped by guests.

I was pleased to see our location in the center of midtown Manhattan and surrounded by the attractions of Times Square and Central Park suited your needs, as did our breakfast options and our beds!

When you return to NYC and our hotel, please note that in addition to the kitchen amenities in each guest room (dishwasher, fridge, freezer, crock pot, plates, glasses and flatware, microwave, coffee maker, etc.) we maintain a quantity of portable range tops that we provide to guests upon request for use with the pots and pans kept in every guest room.

We look foward to welcoming you back to NYC and the Residence Inn by Marriott New York Manhattan/Central Park!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

First time staying here. Great location, spacious room, comfy bed and a spectacular views. Had a room on the 52nd floor. Friendly staff and smooth check in and check out. Waling distance to Central Park, Times Square and theatre district.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you Frank B, we're glad to see you found us to be a great value, and that our location right on Broadway in midtown Manhattan was convenient for you to access the sights of Times Square, Central Park, and everything else that New York City has to offer including the theater district! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Residence Inn by Marriott New York Manhattan/Central Park the next time you visit New York City!