“High rise views. Clean, modern rooms.”

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Central Park
Ranked #117 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Bit of a long story....

We stayed here 5 nights. It would have been 6 nights but for the fact that the night we arrived rooms there were $600 per night instead of the usual $300. For absolutely no reason I could fathom. None.

This meant we had to stay in another hotel for the first night. Something we would much rather not have done. I made a number of calls from the UK to try and negotiate a humane room rate for the first night, but apparently it seems pricing for these rooms is ordained by God and cannot be changed. During exhaustive calls I tried to get someone to admit that $600 a night for a $300 room mid-week at a quiet time was very odd. I felt like Basil Fawlty talking to Manuel at times, and there is no way on earth I am paying $600 for a $300 room.

So... we had to find another hotel for one night, then change hotels the next day. Spectacular greed coupled with gigantic levels of inflexibility impinged greatly on the short time we had.

I smelled a rat from the beginning (Basil Fawlty style), and when we arrived in Manhattan I (at midnight) went to the Residence and immediately found out that the room we thought we had for the next day was not what we had booked. BEWARE - the Residence and the Courtyard Marriott are two different hotels in the same building. The Courtyard has no views of the Park, the Residence does. We, somehow, had been shoved in the Courtyard.

So, when we checked into the hotel the next day, the 'Central Park View' room we booked was on the 32nd floor - which had no view of Central Park. Get this - when we complained we were firstly told that it "would have a view of Central park if some buildings weren't in the way" ... and when I looked at them in incredulity... was then told that we had booked through Expedia, and we should take it up with them. That in no way could anything be done as we had booked through a 3rd party.

Fortunately our booking specified 'Central Park View'. So I politely got adamant, and tried a 3rd time. I approached Gloria at reception who immediately saw our issues and resolved them. She single handedly saved the day, changed our booking, and upgraded us to the Residence which had the view we wanted and had booked. Well done her. If you are reading, she deserves promotion. She was incredibly polite, sympathetic and though it clearly wasn't straight forward dealt with our issue speedily and efficiently.

She explained to us, unlike others, that Expedia had got it wrong on their website, that it had been rectified, but those caught in the middle were being helped out.

Brilliant.

So. That took the best part of 3 hours in the middle of the day.

The room, when we got there was in the high 40s floor wise and had a spectacular view of Central Park. It was small, but modern. There was a small cupboard for a few things. No draws. None. Not one. Nowhere to store much outside of an overnight case.

The bathroom was a modern shower room. No bigger. The shower worked fine but had very little power.

The room itself was brand new, the furnishings were lovely and modern and the bed very comfortable.

Breakfast: the food was fine, but the dining room was primarily made up of couches, so everyone was eating on their laps, which was weird and uncomfortable because you have to double-lean over to eat your food.

All-in-all the majority of the service we had was fine, but we had to sometimes ask twice or three times (different people, thats the key) to get what we wanted after being told previously it could not be done.

The rooms on the higher floors are modern and have spectacular views. The lower floors? If I was paying, I'm not sure I would bother.

Well done Gloria. Thank you :)

Room Tip: Higher up the better. The windows are totally transparent at night!!!
5  Thank Sunseeker1Uk

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This relatively new hotel tries but could do a lot better.
Rooms are clean and bed is comfortable. The AC is a little wacky. The vents are loud and keep the room cold. Any setting above 68 degrees seemed to trigger the heat!
The kitchenette area seemed nice, except the dishwasher or something else kept beeping intermittently. It's not too loud but it was noticeable and annoying when trying to sleep. We got two rooms and the same thing happened in both rooms.
The front desk staff seemed helpful but nothing outstanding there.

Room Tip: corner rooms are nice. I don't know what to tell you about the beeping from the kitchenettes.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Monakamo
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Me and my partner visited New York for first time. We stayed at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Central Park for 10 nights and there are no words to describe our stay,, just fantastic!!!
The hotel is brand new, located between central park and time`s square, the best location to discover the city if you visit N.Y for first time. Modern and luxurious furnishing areas, high level service, spacious rooms, very good breakfast and of course... THE MOST BEAUTIFULL VIEW IN NEW YORK!!!
We stayed in two different view rooms. 5 days in a central park view room and 5 days in a time`s square view room. Both of rooms are located on the highest floors of the hotel, 65 and 64. Yes there are the best rooms we have ever stayed!!! The rooms are decorated on blue and white tones,modern and luxurious furnishing, bathroom with bathtub, mini kitchenette, coffee and tea maker and floor to ceeling soundproof windows with breathtaking view of New York`s skyline!! All these making your stay a Unique experience!!! We really loved it !!!
I also want to say that the hotel has one of the best staff we have ever met. Very polite, professional and pleasant people in all departments!! Especially we want to thank the front desk assistance manager miss Anca!!! she was so polite and helpfull from the time of booking untill our check out!!! Congratulations to marriott for having staff like her!!
I believe that Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Central Park, is gonna be one of the best 5 star hotels in New York!! We really enjoyed our stay and hope to come back soon!!!
We would definately recomend this hotel to everyone and definately would stay again!!!

Room Tip: Prefer the top floors and corner rooms, for spectacular views!
2  Thank chrismad_80
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We frequently visit NYC and have stayed at several different hotels around the city. We were looking for a hotel closer to Central Park when we came across this hotel. When we saw it had only been open for a few months and the price was reasonable, we booked it for our 4 night stay.

We booked a room with Central Park view and were delighted when we were put in a room on the top floor! The elevator was quick and we did not feel much movement. The room was very nicely appointed with floor to ceiling windows. The views were incredible. Our room was on the corner so we had great city and park views.

With the curtains closed, all light was blocked out. The room was very quiet. Breakfast was served on the 3rd floor each morning. It was a typical Residence Inn breakfast with ample selection.

This is the only hotel we will be staying at when we visit NYC. I highly recommend it for it's location, quality and views of the city.

Room Tip: The 65th floor is the top story. It has great views of the park and city.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Nice new hotel with wonderful linens and a great bed. Small room with what-to-do-with pots and pans. They are suffering new property pains; for example, our dishwasher would run for hours but not complete the cycle. Maintenance did respond promptly to problems. We should have asked for a room with a view of the Park; we got a view looking east from the 57th floor which was OK.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank HikerDave2
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Location x3, incomparable views of Central Park, excellent service, strikingly beautiful decor. And the little things that all add up to a room you don't want to leave, even if you're in NYC: a thermostat that gets the room nice and cool at night; a comfortable bed with ample pillows; a state-of-the-art HD television located in the perfect place for viewing in bed; a window that opens for fresh air; (near) high-end shampoo, soaps, etc.; a well designed, clean room; free breakfast.

I've been fortunate in that I've been Marriott Platinum for the last few years and have stayed in a lot of nice Marriotts. This has to be one is on my top three favorite list (with Champs-Elysses and Maui Waiea Beach).

In the Tripadvisor reviews below, you'll notice that the manager actually takes time to respond to issues, which is demonstrative of his desire to make things perfect, even if the complaints are in my opinion: frivolous (let's keep things in perspective, folks. You're in NYC, near the Theater District, Times Square, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall. You've got a room in the middle of some of the most expensive real estate in the world).

We got up early on a Friday morning, had a good (free) breakfast, came back to the room and saw on TV that Mariah Carey was performing on the Today Show within the next few minutes. We walked over and heard her perform 4 songs. What a location! What a great hotel!

1  Thank LesDye
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I visited for four nights in May. The hotel is 1 block from the 7th ave B,D E subway and 2 blocks from 57th/7th avenue N,Q,R subway. Both subways and take you anywhere you want to visit in 20 minutes or so. The hotel is just a few blocks from Central Park and within walking distance to the Theater district. I had a room on the 65th floor with an amazing view of the city and a glimpse of central park. The room was relatively quiet however I could hear wind one evening as it wrapped around the building. I checked to insure the small window at the bottom of the window pane was shut, it was.

The hotel is not marketed as a luxury hotel but rather an upscale all suite hotel with full kitchens. This is a new hotel with a newly efficiently designed room. Unlike other residence inn's, the rooms here are just one room with a full kitchen. The footprint of the room is small but nicely designed to give a feel of a larger space primarily due to the large windows. The kitchen has a refrigerator, freezer, dishwasher, microwave, crock pot, toaster and standard dishes/glasses/silverware all nicely fitted in the entry of the room. All are nice amenities to have if you want a quick snack in your room. If you are looking for a stove top in the Kitchen or a larger room with perhaps a table to eat at, you will want to stay at the residence inn midtown east.

The hotel is clean and I found the staff to be friendly. The front desk person - Jen is especially friendly and helpful upon check in. I checked in around 5 pm with only one person in front of me. Check in and check out process was quick and efficient. The breakfast closes at 9:30 AM during the week and 10 AM on weekends. The breakfast was fine with what is expected from residence inn - hot and cold selections from scrambled eggs/sausage/fresh cantaloupe and honeydew melon/yogurt/cereals/muffins/waffles. Good selection. Due to the number of guests, the hotel is constantly refreshing the breakfast bar. If you find the fresh fruit all gone, just wait a few minutes and more will arrive. The breakfast space is nice with both bar areas and lounge areas. It can fill up quickly given the number of guests it supports. I visited the breakfast bar around 9 AM each morning and found plenty of food still available. Some days the breakfast room was very busy and full. Staff was doing a good job keeping the place clean and picking up dishes.

I also agree with previous reviewers. The bed's are really comfortable. The room decor is nice. The towels are new and fluffy. You have a choice of pillows - foam or feather. However, the sheets are not soft or silky smooth like you find at a luxury hotel. They appear to have starch and may have been ironed, so they give a nice tailored look. But, to be honest, they did not interfere with my sleeping. Sure, given a choice, I too like a 1000 thread count sheet that is silky smooth, but that is not what I expect from an extended stay hotel or 3 1/2 star hotel. Don't expect bedding from a luxury hotel like the Ritz Carlton when you stay at a residence inn.

I never waited more than 4 or 5 minutes for an elevator and only stopped on a few floors on the way down. The hotel is secure as you need a room key to access the guest floors and need a key to entry the hotel after a certain time at night. One night, I arrived around 1 AM and needed a key to entry the lobby. They also have staff on duty in case you did not have a key to entry the lobby.

Overall, good stay. Just what I expected for the residence inn. Would I stay here again? Yes, I would. With all of the comments about the sheets, I am surprised that the residence inn does not do something to improve the experience.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are quieter. Rooms ending with 03 face the city/east river with only glimpse of cen...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo