“Twice the Satisfaction”

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Central Park
Ranked #118 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Traveling for business twice in the last two weeks, I chose to stay here for the first time. Both stays were great. Cozy rooms with great decor and very "homey, but trendy" feeling. Super views and very quiet for good night's sleep. I do agree with a couple of reviews that the sheets are very stiff, not soft. I greatly enjoyed the eating area for one morning's breakfast. Excellent selection of food and bright airy environment. Nice start to the day. Definitely will stay again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Central Park

Reviewed 21 June 2014

The location is great - it's on the north end of Times Square/Theater District and only a short walk from all that entails. It's also close to a subway station at 53rd and 7th Avenue so that is an additional convenience. Otherwise, I failed to see anything special about this hotel. The rooms are typical New York small. As far as the kitchenette, I guess some folks go to New York to cook in their hotel rooms, but I don't. The free breakfast was absolutely nothing special - typical for a limited service hotel - and eminently forgettable. The hallways are dark and dreary. Our room had an eastern view from the 48th floor, looking toward Rockefeller Center. Go for the location and maybe the views - not the service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here.
Its actually two hotels, and if you're staying at the residence inn you will be on floors 36-65. Marriott guests get the lower floors.
There are several great public space areas, one on the 3rd floor and another on the 4th. Lots of room to sit and relax, and not many people take advantage of it.
On the 35th floor is the gym and sky terrence. This is the best hotel gym I've ever been in. Tons of machines, space, kettle bells, everything. The terrace is has a nice view. They don't want you taking glass outside but it didnt look like anyone would have noticed if you did.
The room was small but nice. Refridgerator, dishwasher, all utensils and cooking supplies. Only downside was that it was right next to the bathroom, but for a room thats ~350 sq feet I dont know where else it would go.
We were on the 58th floor and the views were amazing. I've been to manhattan a million times but have never seen it quite like this.
Breakfast was standard. Go early....it gets kind of hectic later in the morning.
Proximity to theatre district and central park was perfect. We will be back.
We would def stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor. If you don't care to see times square you see central park on the other s...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sebo996
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was our 1st time staying in NYC and I am VERY picky about hotels and I give this place two thumbs up! This hotel was new, spotless, the bed and bedding were super comfortable and the view from the 44th floor was incredible. We loved the rainfall shower head and the kitchenette. We had a nice selection at breakfast on the 3rd floor each morning, the gym was large and the nicest gym equipment I had ever seen (in terms of ellipticals anyway). We ate at the Bistro on the 4th floor and although pricey for lunch, it was delicious and worth the price. We are planning more trips to NYC in the future and we will absolutely be staying here again. It was quiet, everyone was polite and the room was updated, clean and very comfy. What more could you possibly ask for?

The only thing I would say is that in terms of room temperature it's either "feast or famine" -- in other words, it's either too hot or too cold. I prefer to be 'too cold' so we kept our thermostat on 68 most of the time because the minute you turned it up to 69 or 70 it would get really muggy and hot. That's the only thing I could possibly nit pick about. It would be a nice perk if they also offered robes.Just a suggestion.

We had a great stay and we're going to stay again! :)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed 6 nights in this hotel in our first time in NY. Location is excellent, near Central Park and Times Square. New and very tall building shared by two Marriot brands (Courtyard rooms are in floor 34 and below, Residence rooms are in floors 35 to 65). We booked in the Residence (62nd floor), so wiews were amazing (corner rooms are roomer and have better views). Rooms are very clean and comfortables, you can really rest because of in upper floors city noise is not listened. Very nice staff (some of them speak spanish) and helpfull Concierge. Breakfast is not the best, but met Residence Inn standard (enough for those who don´t eat a lot of food in the morning).
Only complain is about lifts: in peak hours you may have to wait 3 or 5 minutes to take it (they are also used by cleaning staff).
Summary: we would like to visit NY again, and have no doubt we will book the same hotel next time.

Room Tip: Book Residence upper floors, corner rooms (09 are corner) for amazing views and zero noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Caco_Campos
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed here for just one night, but it was well worth the price. The room was exceptional and very up to date. The service was excellent, and everyone was nice. This place had all the amenities I could want in a pricey hotel, for less than what you would pay at other bigger name or boutique hotels. Well worth the money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank John F
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Bit of a long story....

We stayed here 5 nights. It would have been 6 nights but for the fact that the night we arrived rooms there were $600 per night instead of the usual $300. For absolutely no reason I could fathom. None.

This meant we had to stay in another hotel for the first night. Something we would much rather not have done. I made a number of calls from the UK to try and negotiate a humane room rate for the first night, but apparently it seems pricing for these rooms is ordained by God and cannot be changed. During exhaustive calls I tried to get someone to admit that $600 a night for a $300 room mid-week at a quiet time was very odd. I felt like Basil Fawlty talking to Manuel at times, and there is no way on earth I am paying $600 for a $300 room.

So... we had to find another hotel for one night, then change hotels the next day. Spectacular greed coupled with gigantic levels of inflexibility impinged greatly on the short time we had.

I smelled a rat from the beginning (Basil Fawlty style), and when we arrived in Manhattan I (at midnight) went to the Residence and immediately found out that the room we thought we had for the next day was not what we had booked. BEWARE - the Residence and the Courtyard Marriott are two different hotels in the same building. The Courtyard has no views of the Park, the Residence does. We, somehow, had been shoved in the Courtyard.

So, when we checked into the hotel the next day, the 'Central Park View' room we booked was on the 32nd floor - which had no view of Central Park. Get this - when we complained we were firstly told that it "would have a view of Central park if some buildings weren't in the way" ... and when I looked at them in incredulity... was then told that we had booked through Expedia, and we should take it up with them. That in no way could anything be done as we had booked through a 3rd party.

Fortunately our booking specified 'Central Park View'. So I politely got adamant, and tried a 3rd time. I approached Gloria at reception who immediately saw our issues and resolved them. She single handedly saved the day, changed our booking, and upgraded us to the Residence which had the view we wanted and had booked. Well done her. If you are reading, she deserves promotion. She was incredibly polite, sympathetic and though it clearly wasn't straight forward dealt with our issue speedily and efficiently.

She explained to us, unlike others, that Expedia had got it wrong on their website, that it had been rectified, but those caught in the middle were being helped out.

Brilliant.

So. That took the best part of 3 hours in the middle of the day.

The room, when we got there was in the high 40s floor wise and had a spectacular view of Central Park. It was small, but modern. There was a small cupboard for a few things. No draws. None. Not one. Nowhere to store much outside of an overnight case.

The bathroom was a modern shower room. No bigger. The shower worked fine but had very little power.

The room itself was brand new, the furnishings were lovely and modern and the bed very comfortable.

Breakfast: the food was fine, but the dining room was primarily made up of couches, so everyone was eating on their laps, which was weird and uncomfortable because you have to double-lean over to eat your food.

All-in-all the majority of the service we had was fine, but we had to sometimes ask twice or three times (different people, thats the key) to get what we wanted after being told previously it could not be done.

The rooms on the higher floors are modern and have spectacular views. The lower floors? If I was paying, I'm not sure I would bother.

Well done Gloria. Thank you :)

Room Tip: Higher up the better. The windows are totally transparent at night!!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple