“Great View!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Amherstburg, Canada
“Great View!”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived early at 8:45 am and were told there were no rooms available yet, do we checked our bags no problem. Great area to be in, it's a 1 second walk to the Ed Sullivan theater. We went back at 12:30 and was told no room for us yet, and she said oh you have a city view room booked, I said no we have a time square view booked, she said well that is our city view, and I said sorry but I payed about 70$ extra for a Times Square view! We were finally able to check in at 4pm, and got a room on the top floor, 65 floors up! What an awesome room!! What a view!! The breakfast is really good too, I have nothing bad to say except I wish I could of checked in a little earlier, I'm sure there was a room available, I saw other people checking in, early but that's ok. Loved this hotel!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank shilee3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Residence Inn at Manhattan/Central park has many things going for it. First of all, the location is great. Times Square, Broadway, Hell's kitchen, Rockefeller Center and many other NY To See/To Dos are close by. the rooms are quite good. not bit, but then, this is Manhattan after all! The look and feel of the rooms are very modern. In fact, this must have been the most high tech room I've stayed in. I was surprised to open the drawers under the kitchen cabinet to find a dishwasher, a mini fridge and an oven in them! Now the view - in the second room I got (more about that later) I had a view of Central Park and the Hudson from the 55th floor! Lovely!

Now for the service. I got a feel that they are yet to get their act together. The biggest turn off was when i had a horrible stink in my room and they didn't act to fix it. Every time i called, there was someone new to whom I had to explain the whole thing. no tracking of an issue, no follow up action from their side. Finally when I had to give them a piece of my mind that they chnaged the room and gave me a much nicer room on the 55th floor (with the Central Park view). Smaller quibbles include following up for an amazon shipment some 10 times, again, no tracking and no follow up action from their side.

Residence Inns typically have as standard - mini kitchenettes and offer complimentary breakfast. but here, the rooms do not have a hot plate, so you really can't cook. There's complimentary buffet breakfast, but I guess the facilities are a little too stretched for the number of rooms and the number of guests it hosts. Sleep - be ready for all kinds of strange noises emanating from the gadgets inside the drawers and from miscellaneous places. Light sleepers would find themselves getting up at night and trying to find out where the hell the sounds are coming from!

Room Tip: Higher floors, North facing (for a Central Park view)
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank rd_hegde
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Wife and I decided to take a last minute vacation for a few days in Manhattan. We're both native NYers so we know our way around the city. But we're amazed by the transformation so much of the city has gone through in the past decade, and this hotel is no exception! Four years ago we visited Times Square for a few days and this building simply did not exist. Marriott did a splendid job with this "twin" hotel -- a very central location provides easy access to many popular tourist attractions while at the same time, being a business traveler, I can easily see using this hotel as a home base for a business trip into Manhattan.

For me, the most important aspects of any hotel, whether I'm staying in Cheyenne, WY (yup, I've been there) or New York, NY, are sensible arrangement, cleanliness, and a place to relax. The Residence Inn has all of these. Super-clean room, efficient use of space, fast, reliable, and stable elevators (very important in a high rise hotel), a spacious and well equipped fitness center, and a great lounge area with included breakfast are just some highlights of this location.

The observation deck on the 35th floor also provided a fun lookout for the crazy happenings in Time Square. Partial view roof access provided a view all the way to the Financial District, at an elevation of about 750 ft. above street level.

The hotel is a quick subway ride up from Penn Station, and an easy walk into Times Square, Rockefeller Plaza, Lincoln Center, or Central Park.

This hotel is now my #1 choice for future visits, whether business or pleasure.

One minor issue -- our sheets were a bit stiff -- perhaps "cheap" in comparison with some other hotels of the same class. This may have to do with the laundering process, so it may be fixable without wholesale replacement of the many, many sheets used by the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor -- just for fun!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lakelandsdan
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This is a really cool hotel and the views are amazing. You can't beat the location. I have also stayed at the Courtyard in the same building. The rooms are not huge but they are designed well and have lots of amenities. If I could remove the issues I had with service I would certainly stay here again. I moved to this hotel after I had to extend my stay for work. I mainly picked it because it was a 10 minute walk to the office and it had laundry facilities. When I went to do laundry, I had an issue with the washer. Long story short, I called three times and waited 75 minutes for someone to help. They finally sent a bellman who was no help at all so I waited another 45 minutes for an engineer. On another night I ate in the cafe on the 4th floor. I ordered my food and then sat and waited, and waited. Finally, after almost an hour I walked up to the counter/bar and asked about my food. The girl brought it over a couple of minutes later and it was cold. She had been flirting with a guy at the bar the whole time and forgot about the food.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Pistolpjh
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Located right next to central park and walking distance to great museums, the pick of this location was either pure luck or the Marriott people delivering on a great stay promise. Rooms have amazing views and café area is nice (except for the price and limited menu). If you are here on vacation and want to see the best sights in new York without spending a ton of money on transportation, this is the perfect location for your. Very reasonably priced for New York and definitely underrated. I recommend this hotel to all Marriott lovers who need a chic and updated lodging for their new York trip. Trust me people will think you were a high roller.

Room Tip: City view rooms are best
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Obi1234
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Marriott transformed the traditional Residence Inn name into a sleek modern hotel. I am writing this review facing Times Square and Hudson River from the 58th floor. The ceiling to floor window provides a beautiful changing landscape from morning to night. I got a deal from Marriott's website on a AAA promotional offer for a city view paying a little over $700 for 3 nights Thursday to Sunday. I kept checking and locking rates which dropped the day before departure. I called in-house reservations and requested a high view room for husband's 50th birthday and they delivered. Even better, the room was available at 9 a.m. after a red-eye arrival. High floors mean less street noise.
The room is comfortable for 2 persons and has compact amenities. The kitchen area has a discreet modern design with drawer-style refrigerator, freezer and dishwasher. The top cabinets stow dining utensils (wine glasses and opener is a plus for us) and microwave. There is a sleek round stainless steel sink. The bathroom is modern with a lighted mirror and a rain shower that provides a temperature gauge. The bed was comfortable. I agree the sheets made some noise but did not bother me (and I am hypersensitive to scratchy fabrics).
I can hear next door guests exit and enter their rooms but that did not deter from my experience. We like the AC which quickly cools the room after coming in from hot and muggy weather and subways.
I don't think the hotel provides adjoining rooms. In April 2014, we stayed next door at the new Hilton Garden Inn with 2 teenagers and child because they provided a connecting king and 2 queens. HGI was convenient and nice but the elevators couldn't handle the crowds over Easter Break and we had to walk down 17 flights. The elevators at RI is efficient. Internet is free and hooked via Ethernet cable.

Eataly in Flatiron district is a fun Italian grocery with food courts that serve great Italian cuisine. The gelato is delicious and best I have had stateside.

My husband who is a crossfit fanatic likes the on-site gym located on the 35th floor with great views. He said the breakfast is chaotic but the Starbucks is easily accessible. We like the breakfasts at Norma's in Le Meridien but go famished because the portions are big.
Prior stays at 5 stars (Ritz, Plaza) to mid-low;range (Sofitel, London) but RI met our needs and I would return.

Room Tip: Higher floors mean minimal siren noise and spectacular views.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Villanik
Connecticut
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Residence Inn part of the hotel in a room with city view and could see Central Park and Times Square. The location is fantastic! The room was clean. Breakfast was good but seating could be improved. The only negative was that the bathroom door was a sliding door that didn't close well.

Stayed July 2014