“Wife was in tears”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brockport, New York
“Wife was in tears”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My wife and I planned a trip to New York for a few days and reserved the Sugar Hill inn in Harlem as our place to stay. When the taxi drove us to the address my wife and I thought there was some mistake, the building looked like some average persons apartment, the door was locked, lights were off and no one answered the bell or when we knocked. I went onto the website and it said the inn had been closed until further notice and that there was a second building that we would have to go to. So, we starting walking through NY with our infant son at night to the other address. When we got there, it was the exact same thing, locked doors, lights off and no one answering. I called the number on the website and no one answered, then I called a second number and finally got an answer. I was told there was a special way to unlock the doors and that no one would be there to help us. We walked back to the original building, finally got inside and went to our room and at that point my wife broken into tears. The room was dirty, it smelled and there were nude pictures (albeit tasteful ones) on the walls. We were so unbelievably dissatisfied with the inn, we actually canceled our entire trip, went home early even though we knew they would charge us for the entire stay at the inn, which was over 430 dollars, thats how bad it was. I asked the man I spoke with on the phone if we could cancel early and was told that he would look for another person to take the room, 2 hours later I had the full charge for the rooms on my credit card, so I guess the search wasn't even performed. "Never" go to this inn.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
10 Thank Noah L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Hoogezand, The Netherlands
Reviewed 30 March 2014

You can go very easily to downtown Manhatan and come back to get a good night sleep for the next day. The beds are very good and you can get a good shower. For a nice breakfast you walk downstairs. You can choose for coffee or tea and you get orange juice. Furthermore you can choose for waffles with nice maple syrup, eggs or tortilla with ham, cheese and eggs.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ellen731
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Was in town for a wedding which happen to be the day after Valentine's Day, so waking up in the Sugar Hill Harlem Inn (SH) with my love on Valentine's Day was perfect. Very quaint and absolutely romantic. If you're looking for super modern, state of the art accommodations, then SH is not for you. The building was authentically New York, which heightened our first time in the city. We loved the feel of it and how uniquely decorated the rooms were (we stayed in the Satchmo room but got to peek into the Lena room). SH is conveniently located near a really good restaurant, sandwich shop, convenient store and other shops. It was easy to access public transportation as well as cab service to other locations. Breakfast was amazing. Jeremy's waffles, eggs and bacon were perfect for a breakfast lover like me. One hiccup was not getting the Billie room as requested because they no longer have that building. Would be helpful to have their website reflect that. Another was the sheer curtains at the patio door looking into the bathroom was a little creepy. Being able to pull a shade would have been awesome. We will definitely stay there during our next trip to the Big Apple though!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Erica B
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Finding this gem made my recent business trip to NYC possible because it was affordable, close to public transportation, and included flexible amenities such as a microwave and fridge. Bits of luxury were also very nice -- the lovely terry cloth robes made me feel a little like I was in a luxury hotel. The free wifi worked seamlessly, as did my key, my tea kettle, etc. The bed was comfy and warm. I only got to eat breakfast once because I had to be up and out early, but Jeremy cooked me some eggs made to order. Other days, I ate from provisions I purchased at a nearby grocery store. My work took me to the Bronx and Downtown Manhattan. The Sugar Hill is convenient to several bus lines and train lines. My trips in from LaGuardia on the M60 bus were easy. Twice I called the cab service that Jeremy recommended, and had fine service.

Room Tip: I stayed in Satchmo's Room, which is on the second floor. You'll hear other guests coming an...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank scampbell66
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed at the SH again, this time with the children, and again it was a very pleasant experience. Don't expect the luxury of a 5 stars rated hotel. The SH is located in a typically Harlem house. That's what makes it great. Breakfast is fantastic, you can ask Jeremy whatever you want, when he got the ingredients, he'll make it for you. The kids loved it. To stay in Harlem makes your visit to NY different, so much more authentic. It must feel a bit like living among the real New Yorkers. And you're only 15 minutes away from Downtown. Take the subway at 145 str.
So, if you want to have large rooms, nice breakfast and the real NY at a very good price, stay at the Sugar Hill. Don't doubt!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Melosven
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We complement the information given by Geremy with photos from 5-star hotel:
- Sanitary blocks dated Abraham Lincoln (photo)
- Toilet seat scraped and dirty
- The kitchen is ... a refrigerator, a microwave oven, a TV and never washed three glasses
- Drafts of air with the windows closed so that pieces of plastic and paper
- Built-in wardrobe
- Windows of the bathroom with a transparent curtain for erotic exhibitionist
- Heating rare
- Lighting of the room as like a cemetery
- Broken Mirrors
- Linen generational
- Room service non-existent
- TV with only one channel, due to broken remote control

ABSOLUTELY TO AVOID (it would be better to sleep on a bench in Central Park)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Mario S
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stayed here with a my wife, son and a group of friends to attend a wedding in September. We occupied the Malcolm X room and Marian's room. The rooms were nice and simple. The location was perfect VERY close to the subway which made everything convenient, specially coming back after a long day out in the city. The neighborhood was nothing how I read in the reviews I had read before booking in fact after staying there it was the exact opposite, It was FANTASTIC very lively, clean and friendly from what I experienced. I do plan on going back to New York in the near future and I will definitely be staying at the Sugar Hill Harlem Inn. I will recommend it to everyone traveling that way.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family