Candy Hill Harlem
The Watson Hotel(New York City)
US$208
US$175
  • Pool
Grand Hyatt New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$295
  • Restaurant
The Westin New York at Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$382
US$297
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
US$223
US$203
Triumph Hotels
  • Fitness centre
Omni Berkshire Place(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$266
US$255
Omni Hotels
  • Room Service
Hilton Garden Inn Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$257
US$218
  • Bar/Lounge
Hampton Inn Manhattan-Times Square North(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$348
Hampton.com
  • Breakfast included
  • Fitness centre
Warwick New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$410
US$230
Travelocity
  • Room Service
Pod 51 Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$223
US$216
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Mela(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$228
US$190
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewsb bjosephine bakernew yorkfive minute walktop floorhome away from homea king size bedclose proximitybrownstonesubwayjazzlinesbroadway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My wife and I planned a trip to New York for a few days and reserved the Sugar Hill inn in Harlem as our place to stay. When the taxi drove us to the address my wife and I thought there was some mistake, the building looked like some average persons apartment, the door was locked, lights were off and no one answered the bell or when we knocked. I went onto the website and it said the inn had been closed until further notice and that there was a second building that we would have to go to. So, we starting walking through NY with our infant son at night to the other address. When we got there, it was the exact same thing, locked doors, lights off and no one answering. I called the number on the website and no one answered, then I called a second number and finally got an answer. I was told there was a special way to unlock the doors and that no one would be there to help us. We walked back to the original building, finally got inside and went to our room and at that point my wife broken into tears. The room was dirty, it smelled and there were nude pictures (albeit tasteful ones) on the walls. We were so unbelievably dissatisfied with the inn, we actually canceled our entire trip, went home early even though we knew they would charge us for the entire stay at the inn, which was over 430 dollars, thats how bad it was. I asked the man I spoke with on the phone if we could cancel early and was told that he would look for another person to take the room, 2 hours later I had the full charge for the rooms on my credit card, so I guess the search wasn't even performed. "Never" go to this inn.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
10  Thank Noah L
Reviewed 30 March 2014

You can go very easily to downtown Manhatan and come back to get a good night sleep for the next day. The beds are very good and you can get a good shower. For a nice breakfast you walk downstairs. You can choose for coffee or tea and you get orange juice. Furthermore you can choose for waffles with nice maple syrup, eggs or tortilla with ham, cheese and eggs.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ellen731
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Was in town for a wedding which happen to be the day after Valentine's Day, so waking up in the Sugar Hill Harlem Inn (SH) with my love on Valentine's Day was perfect. Very quaint and absolutely romantic. If you're looking for super modern, state of the art accommodations, then SH is not for you. The building was authentically New York, which heightened our first time in the city. We loved the feel of it and how uniquely decorated the rooms were (we stayed in the Satchmo room but got to peek into the Lena room). SH is conveniently located near a really good restaurant, sandwich shop, convenient store and other shops. It was easy to access public transportation as well as cab service to other locations. Breakfast was amazing. Jeremy's waffles, eggs and bacon were perfect for a breakfast lover like me. One hiccup was not getting the Billie room as requested because they no longer have that building. Would be helpful to have their website reflect that. Another was the sheer curtains at the patio door looking into the bathroom was a little creepy. Being able to pull a shade would have been awesome. We will definitely stay there during our next trip to the Big Apple though!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Erica B
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Finding this gem made my recent business trip to NYC possible because it was affordable, close to public transportation, and included flexible amenities such as a microwave and fridge. Bits of luxury were also very nice -- the lovely terry cloth robes made me feel a little like I was in a luxury hotel. The free wifi worked seamlessly, as did my key, my tea kettle, etc. The bed was comfy and warm. I only got to eat breakfast once because I had to be up and out early, but Jeremy cooked me some eggs made to order. Other days, I ate from provisions I purchased at a nearby grocery store. My work took me to the Bronx and Downtown Manhattan. The Sugar Hill is convenient to several bus lines and train lines. My trips in from LaGuardia on the M60 bus were easy. Twice I called the cab service that Jeremy recommended, and had fine service.

Room Tip: I stayed in Satchmo's Room, which is on the second floor. You'll hear other guests coming and going up and down the stairs, but that's the nature of these old houses.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank scampbell66
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed at the SH again, this time with the children, and again it was a very pleasant experience. Don't expect the luxury of a 5 stars rated hotel. The SH is located in a typically Harlem house. That's what makes it great. Breakfast is fantastic, you can ask Jeremy whatever you want, when he got the ingredients, he'll make it for you. The kids loved it. To stay in Harlem makes your visit to NY different, so much more authentic. It must feel a bit like living among the real New Yorkers. And you're only 15 minutes away from Downtown. Take the subway at 145 str.
So, if you want to have large rooms, nice breakfast and the real NY at a very good price, stay at the Sugar Hill. Don't doubt!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family