“Great ambiance, great location”
Review of Candy Hill Harlem

Candy Hill Harlem
Ranked #32 of 78 New York City B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Los Angeles, California
“Great ambiance, great location”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The rooms are large, clean and interesting (great furniture and jazz themes). The location is great--just a few blocks from the red or yellow lines--and the neighborhood is charming. Jeremy, the owner, is a trip. He philosophizes but he isn't overbearing. Bernadette, who manages a lot of the day-to-day, is very friendly and interesting. I will not stay anywhere else whenever I come to NYC for a short trip.

Room Tip: We stayed in the top-floor Renaissance suite for one week and the 1st floor Lena Horne room for a se...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Poetrylove

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Berkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We booked to stay in 141st and like other reviews which have been left we experienced the potential last minute changing of location, which at a month before we were due to arrive was quite unsettling. Over a period of 3 days we exchanged a number of e-mails with Jeremy at the end of which confirmation was provided that 'Satchimos room' had been reserved for us. I must admit because of this and after reading some of the reviews I remained hesitant until we actually arrived and Jeremy had checked us in. If it wasn't for this my rating would have been higher.

That aside we loved staying at the Sugar Hill Inn, it was quaint, quirky and clean. Jeremy provided us with loads of valuable information about the local area and where to go around New York before we arrived and during our stay. Bernadette was also lovely.

Location wise for us we liked Harlem, tree lined streets, felt very safe and lots of local amenities. Subway stations were only a short walk away and if you took the fast train ($2 a trip or you could buy a pass,) then it only took minutes to get to downtown Manhattan.
NB. We moved on to San Francisco after NY and didn't feel as safe as we did in Harlem.

Manhattan can be really in your face so it was lovely to retreat back to the quieter area of Harlem. Saying that we stayed for 5 days so had the luxury of time, if however you are on a city break for only a couple of days then you might feel you need to be closer to the sights.

Overall we enjoyed our stay here very much, if only we hadn't of had to experience the potential change of location and the uncertainty of whether we had a room waiting for us!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MintM11
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

My friends and I booked this place for 1 night. Let me begin by saying it's a very cute b & b. We had a very nice 2 bedroom spacious area to ourselves with a huge bathroom. Perks included complimentary WiFi and water bottles.

That aside the location is terrible. The neighborhood is very shady and it's a long walk to the subway. Cab ride to time square was $30-40.

If this place was in a different location it would be great but for me the neighborhood ruined it.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Aiden12
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Like others, I was left without a room despite booking 5 weeks in advance and having a confirmation. What's worse, it was for my wedding night!

I choose this place because it was close to our reception venue and seemed like a charming building. To be fair, the place had character, or at least the dining room did, where I stood and waited in for more than 30 minutes trying to check in. Jeremy (the owner) was too busy talking to his wife on the phone about their travel plans to Trinidad and some green couch to bother with the lone customer in the check-in area. When he was done, I promptly found out I didn't have a room. Then I waited for another 30 minutes as he scrambled to call colleagues in the area to find a spare room. Just a couple hours before getting married this was not at all what I expected to happen and the lost time there, and then scooting to the other location had a knock-on effect and delayed the ceremony.

I've been all around the world to some really terrible joints in rather sketchy places and honestly I've never had as much trouble or as rude or terrible service as I did with these clowns. These guys are amateurs and a-holes.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Jeff B
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Their website says that the building on 141 St where we stayed is now closed until further notice (they do have another property) but I will review it for when it opens again. This is a property with loads of character and therefore some rough edges (and some poor reviews). If you want big hotel comforts this may not be right for you but then you miss the reason for living in this neighborhood and the uniqueness of the room and building. We stayed in the Miles room for 8 nights and really liked it. We wanted a kitchen to make some meals and that meant shopping in the neighborhood and testing the appliances. Everything we needed was there and it was all clean. The room was large and comfortable. The food shopping is fantastic. Jeremy is a great source of information and opinion and we followed many of his directions in Brooklyn and locally. There was a jazz festival in the neighborhood at the time (but music otherwise in many venues), and the baptist church on Sunday is not to be missed. The Inn is between two subway stops giving access to the city and boroughs. If it reopens, we really recommend it. If you are concerned by some of the previous negative reviews, think again why you want to be in this area.

Room Tip: Miles room is at the front and a bit noisy when the hotel up the road closes and the fire engines ar...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Khopp
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My boyfriend and I were looking forward to a 3-night stay at Sugar Hill Harlem Inn in late April. We reserved a room approximately 6 weeks prior and were excited by the jazz theme, proximity to the subway, and staying in Manhattan but away from the touristy craziness of everything south of Central Park.

Approximately 3 weeks before our stay I received an email from Sugar Hill indicating we would be staying at a different address. This was misleading, as it was not another property through Sugar Hill. Without explanation or apology, Jeremy moved our reservation to a vacation-by-owner rental elsewhere in Harlem. While my boyfriend and I ended up being very pleased with our new rental, it was not what we reserved nor necessarily what we were looking for when we researched bed & breakfasts. Again, this review is not a reflection of the lovely brownstone we ended up in.

I found this to be a poor business practice. Again, no explanation or apology, so I am unclear if we were moved because the room was overbooked, because of renovation, carelessness, an emergency, etc. I would rather have been informed that the reservation was being cancelled and given suggestions for nearby places to stay. Rather, it felt that the Sugar Hill Harlem Inn became an unofficial clearing house for other private rentals. We got lucky with the property Jeremy moved us to, but we didn't know what we were getting ourselves into until we arrived in Harlem.

If you're super flexible and willing to take a risk, Sugar Hill Harlem still seems like a cute and quirky place. However, if you read other reviews, similarly sketchy things have happened to other reviewers. I would have preferred to have gone straight through vrbo.com or something similar to start with.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Brenna R
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We are staying in Big Mama's room and are having a great trip. It's a large room, with tons of character and genuine style and filled with very thoughtful touches. There's a huge skylight filling the sparkling bathroom with natural light and lots of space to spread out in. Jeremy, the owner, gave clear directions to a fantastic market (you have to see Fairway Market to believe it) and we now have coffee and milk, beer, cheese and and other snacks to put in our fridge (there's also a kettle, microwave, toaster, a beautiful silver tray with a few dishes and cutlery, etc.). There's everything you could want or need. We just came back in again and the whole place is filled with the smell of fresh baking. The neighbourhood is superb. The restaurants and bars are high quality and great value, and close by. People are friendly on the streets and there are so many churches and parks to explore right in the immediate area. We are here for 2 weeks, so we feel very lucky to have found Sugar Hill (our apprehension we had based on some of the other reviews was absolutely for nothing). Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple