Seafarers & International House
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
Hotel 17(New York City)
View Hotel
Gramercy Park Hotel(New York City)
View Hotel
St. Marks Hotel(New York City)
View Hotel
Larchmont Hotel(New York City)
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
View Hotel
All reviewsunion squareprivate bathshared bathroomsingle bedwhole foodsrooms are basicoccupancy taxirving placesmall flat screengreat locationnew yorkeast villagetoilet and showerfellow guestsper nighthave stayed here many timesdesk and chair
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I don´t think people realize how good this place is for the price as of being in the middle of Manhattan. Of course your not gone get luxury, pay $300 a night if you want a "normal" hotel, pay $600 if you want luxury. This place is just amazingly cheap and not bad. I would def stay here again!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank hannaaase
Reviewed 20 November 2013

THE BAD
This hotel is totally lacking in color and spirit. Dull paint, dull furnishings, omnipresent odor of cleaning products, old boxy televisions. Feels like purgatory. Pack candle or a string of lights in your first aid kit.
Shared shower and toilets are in TINY tiled cells with no window. Clean and serviceable but claustrophobic.

THE GOOD
If you are a zen monk you will be able to transcend the dull and spartan ambience.
Staying here supports seafarers.
Good location one block from major transportation hub, Union Square, which has trees, farmers market.
Two computers you can use.
Walking distance to East Village and Greenwich Village.
Only one metro stop from East Village for fun delicious inexpensive ethnic dining on St Marks Place.
Utterly safe.

UP TO YOU GOOD OR BAD
Has a chapel off of the lobby. Organ music from chapel spooked me on Sunday.

ALTERNATIVES TO PONDER
I prefer a hotel that is more fun. Next time I would try an air B&b in the East Village or other more intimate neighborhood, or try the Pod hotel on 51st Street, or give up on Manhattan for fun affordable accommodation and try something in Brooklyn.

Room Tip: If you like to sleep cool as I do, bring a desk fan: the room was too hot for me even with window open (and it was cold outside). Car noise on 8th floor facing away from 15th Street was not bad, I slept fine. Feel bad calling this hotel dull as staff are kind but alas I care about you too!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank ChairWell
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Wow. This property won't be for everyone, but it's perfect for me. Less than 1/3 the cost of a Hampton Inn and a great location. Friendly staff and genial atmosphere.

Here's what to expect: Immaculate cleanliness, plenty of hot water, helpful, friendly front desk staff, slow elevators (but, in characteristic ELCA good humor, acknowledged...you'll have to visit and use the elevator to see what I mean) a sink in your room, a toilet and shower "down the hall," two per floor, towel and washcloth and clean linens.

Also expect a great location 1.5 blocks from Union Square and the MTA station beneath. Two Starbucks within a block or two. Lots of neighborhood restaurants. Plenty of NYU students practicing their filming. Quiet rooms.

I spent two nights here and never was once unable to access the toilet or shower when I needed to.

What not to expect? Your own bathroom, little bottles of shampoo and conditioner, hair dryers, 40 inch HD tv (but you will have a nice small TV that does just fine; besides, you should be out experiencing the city, not watching TV).

While I'm not sure I could talk my wife into staying here, she's more of a Hilton Garden Inn sort of girl, this is a wonderful place to stay and I will definitely return when I next need to come to NYC.

Room Tip: I had a view of 15th Street, which was nice.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank HoosierTravelers08
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I almost hesitate to review this property for fear of letting the proverbial cat-out-of-the bag. I would prefer that it remain a well-kept secret, purely for selfish reasons, because it's probably the best bargain to be had in New York City. As female traveling alone my main priorities are always safety and cleanliness, but I am also budget-minded. Less money spent on accommodation = more to be spent on shopping! The Seafarers was perfect. For $88 per night I had a simple, clean room on the 9th floor containing a comfortable single bed, a desk, a TV, a sink and an air conditioner. Yes the elevator is slow. Big deal. I shared a bathroom with four other rooms but I never saw anyone else during my 3 days there so it was a total non-issue. The toilet is in a separate room from the shower, both were always spotless. The common areas of the hotel on the lobby & mezzanine levels have had a recent modern renovation so the place has a clean, European feel about it. The rooms are definitely basic, the carpet and furnishings a bit tired but still clean. Room tidied daily weekdays only, fresh towels every second day. Soap & toilet paper provided but no shampoo, etc. Coffee (by donation) in the lobby is nice, although Starbuck's is right around the corner. WiFi only available in the lobby which was my only minor complaint. Fantastic location near Union Square subway station, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods for great take-away meals. Very busy area at all hours so always lots of people around. I never felt unsafe. The hotel is run by the Lutheran church. The cost of your room goes toward paying the chaplains who visit the ships in port and provide ministry and comfort to the seamen. So because, in a sense, you're giving a donation there is no room tax. $88 per night weekdays, slightly higher on the weekends. Everyone was really friendly. They were happy to check me in early and store my luggage after check-out prior to a late flight. I was really happy staying here and would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Save the $5 online booking fee by booking directly with the hotel. Bring earplugs if bothered by outside noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank summafunmum
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

For around a hundred bucks a night, and for the location it's in, Seafarers can't be beat. The receptionist was friendly enough, the room (with one bed and a cot) was decently-sized, and the bathrooms were clean. There was some Lysol disinfectant in the bathroom which I used to spray down the shower, just in case. I like that our room had its own sink, as I've stayed somewhere where you had to use communal sinks to brush your teeth, and that felt...awkward. The guys staying next-door to us were drunk, so they were being pretty loud, but the AC in the room provided enough white noise to drown it out. Really, my only complaints are that it was hard to shut our door quietly, the door-stops on the bathroom doors weren't very good so they slid across the floor and made a lot of noise when we were trying to be quiet for anyone still sleeping, the water pressure in the shower was pretty weak, one of the towels had a stain on it, and the basement where the ice machine was smelled dank and wet. Really, for us, Seafarers was just a place to sleep and shower, and we did both comfortably. I'd stay here again, but pay extra to have a private bathroom. Oh, and try not to stay on a Saturday or Sunday, as I'm pretty sure there's no housekeeping service on weekends.

• Stayed: October 2013