Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 August 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights as the first leg of a USA tour. Hotel close to union square. I had a single room with shower and wc in the hallway, which took me back to my university days. Rooms clean with tv and reception staff very friendly and helpful. I paid $279 for 3 nights - good value.

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank 270waynea
Reviewed 28 July 2016

This is a basic hotel room, but for $~150 plus $20 for a cot a night, you can have 2 twin beds and sleep 3 (2 adults and a child) for a very reasonable price in a fantastic location (Union Square). The rooms have airconditioning and the bathrooms are quite basic, but we appreciated the economical price for New York City and saved some money for restaurants and shopping. Prepare for the maids to visit once a week or so. There is a business centre and free wifi in the hotel lobby. The proceeds of the hotel go to the mission of the ministers and pastors for the New England area that cater to the seafarers. There is mass held at the hotel every Sunday.

Room tip: Rooms higher up 9-11th floors help to muffle any street sounds. Ask for a room with a private bath/shower as the others share bathrooms.
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank BermudaOnion2016
Reviewed 16 June 2016

I've been staying at SIH each time I visit NYC since 2010 and appreciate the great strides made in upgrades throughout the house, lobby, mezzanine reading and computing lounge, and room amenities. Staff is friendly and accommodating.
Location can't be beat for convenience to Union Square neighborhood - eateries, shops (esp. Strand Books), and subway access to entire city.

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank ruthr662
Reviewed 14 June 2016

I have been staying at SIH since 2012 when I moved north from the city. I like this hotel for its great location and spacious rooms with spartan but functional decor. The high ceilings give it a lot of volume! The rooms get natural light. I stay in the rooms with a private bathroom and those are very good value for money in New York. I am usually doing something outside so I don't need to be hanging out in the room. But if I am, then it feels spacious, clean and there is a TV with sufficient cable channels. The staff is friendly and helpful. There is a vending machine in the basement for $1.25 bottles of water. This is all I really need when I visit. There is a chapel that my husband goes to for his meditation. The hotel is three-minute walk to the #4, 5, 6, N, R, Q trains. It is a four-minute walk to the Farmers Market on Union Square that happens about four days a week. It's great source of produce and natural meats for locals and restaurants; flowers and fruits. Otherwise i give it a miss. I like shopping around Union Square for necessities and luxuries: Sephora, Lululemon, and the like. I like going to Regal Cinema Union Square for current movies. I walk to Angelika Theater and Sunshine Cinema for independent artsy films. When Quad Cinema reopens, I will be going there too. I even walk to Film Forum in Soho and IFC in the Village. I walk to Washington Square Park. I go walk to Jivamukti Yoga on Broadway across Regal Cinema. I walk to Astor Place to shop for wines and to Broadway Liquors too. I walk to the Public Theater and Joe's Pub. I like the restaurants around there such as Maialino, Casa Mono, Bar Jamon. (Union Square Cafe closing is a huge loss.) Aldea is good too. Novita and Le Halles are fine too. Sushi Samba....I walk to Third Avenue and 9th Street restaurants like Sobaya, Robata and Hayashi (sp?) for inexpensive Japanese food. It is a fine location indeed. New York is very safe if you use your head. This location is extremely safe.

Room tip: Rooms with private bathrooms are spacious and sunny.
Date of stay: June 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank snapdragonstoo
Reviewed 12 June 2016

This hotel has an amazing location next to Union Square (with 7 subway lines and every sort of shop and restaurant imaginable). Rooms are somewhat bigger than average New York City- hotel rooms. The furniture is simple but functional, TV with cable worked without any problems. Always hot water (not always the case in NY). Sharing shower and toilet was not a problem since there is a very good room-to-bath-ratio. If you are picky about minor flaws (like maybe a broken tile), maybe you should chose someplace else. The only real problem is the noise from the street: there are lots of shops and some medical facilities close-by and truck deliveries are almost around the clock. On the plus side though, the noise from inside the hotel is minimal (I didn´t even hear my neighbours TV). WIFI is only in the lobby and the mezzanin but is fast and reliable. The mezzanin itself looks almost like a living room and is comfortable place to surf the internet and eat some take-out food. The staff is friendly and helpful and the religious basis of the guesthouse makes it very welcoming and open. I will definately come back and can really recommend the SIH!

Room tip: try to get a room on a high floor (11th is the top floor)
Date of stay: May 2016