“just a franchise”
Review of Buddha Bar

Buddha Bar
Ranked #199 of 874 Nightlife in New York City
Reviewed 30 April 2012

this is just one more franchise, high price, regular drinks, same line with someone thing to be special

3  Thank RICARDO A

Reviewed 22 December 2011

We had my birthday dinner at the buddha bar in NY with 5 f my friends who had traveled from Europe. It has been a desastrer from the moment we sat down at our table to the end. First our table had obviously been added at the end of the room and was almost in the walkway, we were sitting in a very unpleasant cold wind. (we asked to switch but no, not possible)
Then, service was slow and we could see from the tables around us that we were not the only ones waiting forever.
Things got worse when main course started to arrive at different times (we were 6 at the table) and finally...they simply forgot one of our orders! So our friend had to eat when all of us were finished - and as it is custom here, our plates had even been taken away. It was past 11:00 so the music was super loud making the place sound like a disco more than a restaurant, which is ok when you have finished eating, but not when you start.
This despite the "manager" having told us that she was personally looking for her plate to come fast. Really? How long does it take to grill a filet mignon? Apparently 45 minutes here. She offered champagne , which we accepted only to discover later that it had been charged on the bill, which by the way was full of other mistake.
Paying took us over an hour.
Eventually the real boss ripped out our bill, but this won't make it up to such a disaster, in such an expensive restaurant.

2  Thank nonolamimie
Reviewed 7 December 2009

I've been to several "trendy" restaurants in the city, so I don't know why at Ajna they feel like they are so "special" that they can't accommodate their menu for vegetarians or make any changes whatsoever. First, I wasn't allowed into the restaurant until I checked my coat in, which was not the same service for others, mind you. It was snowing and cold, and I honestly just wanted to keep my coat on. I was told very rudely, and denied entrance. Then very sarcastically, the host told me "Coat check is free." I was shocked. As if the $2 was the reason I wasn't checking my coat in. If I wasn't meeting my friends inside, I would have walked out at this point.

But it gets better. We were told how to order (hmmm, usually the patrons order the way they like), very slow service, and they made no alterations to the menu. Yes, I understand its a large restaurant, but when you are charging a decent amount for each entree/app/ and drink, I would assume you can make some changes. I had to beg to get a drink, and asked several times for soy sauce and water.

I will never go back, and tell everyone i know what a horrible horrible restaurant this is. If you are in the area and want nice ambiance just go to Spice Market instead, and save yourself the hassle.

4  Thank veggiegal88
Reviewed 1 December 2009

I have just recently visited Buddha Bar (Ajna Bar now named) & it was the most amazing place, the food was great, loved the music so unique and beautiful to dance to & the ambiance of the place was nothing like I have seen before, being from Sydney.

Loved every minute I weas there, and would definitely recommend to family and friends looking for a place to celebrate or have a nice dinner.

3  Thank Ruby93
See more reviews
Reviewed 5 August 2009

- Overly helpful waitress, to the point of annoyance (repeatedly interrupting conversations to ask if we'd like more water or other trivialities), but helpful nonetheless
- Good food - enjoyed it very much
- nice decor - looks like a posh place, IS a posh place
- pricy, but what would you expect given the above (think $ 120 per person, including mid-range wine)
- only real negative is that the volume of the music keeps creaping up over time, and by the time you're almost done with your main course (10pm-ish) you will literally have to shout to each other to have a conversation.

Don't misjudge: I am only 34, and I like clubs - I'm not some old dude that shouldn't go to places like these anymore. This is a restaurant though, and people have dinner together to have a good meal AND a good conversation. The waitresses have to ask orders three times because it's so loud - so it's not just me. Besides, this is the 4th time I have been there, so apparently I liked the atmosphere and food enough that I kept hoping that it was a one-off bad job from the DJ that night. By now, I can't justify that anymore, and going forward, I may need to reconsider the Buddha Bar as an option for dinner with people that I actually want to have a conversation with.

However, if it's your mother in law (mine is actually cool therefore not applicable to me) this is a must go ;-)