“Good Hotel - Great Location”

Ranked #323 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I have just returned from spending a week at the Hilton Midtown, New York. Overall it is a very good hotel which is in a fantastic location.

Upon arrival in the main reception area, I was greeted by staff and had to wait only a moment to check-in. I was upgraded to a room which was "recently refurbished". The room was a good size given it contained two double beds, full desk unit and side table/chairs. Most of the fixtures and fittings were of a good quality with a mid-size bathroom. The fixtures felt relatively new around the room and the wide-screen TV with ESPN and HBO was good.

The location is the big sell for this hotel. It is a few moments from the main shops of 5th Ave, 10 minute walk to Central Park and has good access to most Subway lines. If you need a taxi, or limousine, you can quite easily book one. Although the hotel has no formal restaurant, the Herb Fresh area does offer an opportunity to get food, although you don't really need it as there are plenty of good places to eat/drink nearby and a Starbucks across the street. The staff were very friendly throughout, all offering help and assistance to any questions I had during my stay.

However I do have a couple of criticisms. I found the room fixtures - although claiming to be new - quite tatty in places already. Several cupboards just didn't open and one handle was hanging off the wardrobe. The lights in the room are really poor, it needs full ceiling lights throughout not just two in the entrance and subsequent tiny lamps dotted around the room. The walls are incredibly thin - it was very easy to hear people in rooms either side. The lack of free wi-fi is also a real negative, as is the main entrance lobby which can feel like you are navigating a main street - some days there seemed to be a hundred or so people just hanging around in the lobby. I expected to hear some road noise from the room, but we were situated overlooking the AC units which were so noisy it did make sleeping slightly more difficult.

On the whole though I would say this is a good hotel, rooms are big and clean and the location is excellent. I would certainly give consideration to staying in this hotel on my return to New York.

Room Tip: Try and get a room high up to avoid a/c unit noise and road noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Kek98, Director of Sales at New York Hilton Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate that you enjoyed your stay. We will reach out to you to find out what room you were in to determine if we need to go up and repair your items mentioned. Love to hear that the location worked for you and look forward to hosting you again. Thank you again.

There are newer reviews for New York Hilton Midtown

Reviewed 16 November 2013

A couple of years ago, the New York Hilton began a deliberate policy of removing all services and amenities. What had been a decent business hotel, now offers less than guests receive at a Motel 6. There is NO room service. That's right - you fly in and arrive at 11:00 at night, no room service. Fprget about making yourself a cup of coffee, there are no coffee makers in the room. There's no refrigerator either. When I arrived the phone wasn't working. I got back in the elevator (since I could not call) and, when I reported it, I was told that it would be fixed the next day. When I returned from th office the next evening, the phone still didn't work. When I again went down to report it, I was told that the technicians go home at 5:00. if you have a tchnical problem after 5:00, you're out of luck. A friend of mine who was staying at the hotel as the head of a group of about 120 hotel guests had reserved a room for himself, hs wife and their daughter, who was to sleep on a pull out couch. When they went to pull out the bed to go to sleep, it had no sheets. Bathrobes? Don't be silly -- there are no bathrobes. Checking in or out is a major time sink, because the registration desk is understafrfed. And don't think that this shabby treatment is for the one-time visitor. I am a "diamond level" guest because I stay at Hiltons so often. The front desk has a diamond check-in lane. But it is no longer staffed. The hotel staff are sympathetic.. They know the guests range from unhappy to furious; they've heard it all before. But they can't provide services that the hotel does not make available.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointing experience of your recent stay. We know our guests deserve the best and we will use your comments as we continually evolve to best meet and exceed our guests' expectations. We have shared your comments on our guestroom appointment and amenities with our team and we will keep them in mind as we look for new ways to ensure guest satisfaction. Should you return to our area in the future, we would love to have you back so we may better demonstrate the complete quality stay you expect and deserve as a valued HHonors member.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Stayed here with hubby for a conference. The hotel is average. The location is great. Within walking distance to the David Letterman Show, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Wendy Williams Show, theater. Across Ziegfield Theatre, where the Last Vegas premier was shown.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for staying with us. The hotel is happy to hear that the location worked when you joined your family on travel. We look forward to hosting you again. Thank you again.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Always walked past this hotel when in NY so this year thought I would give it a go. It was more cost effective than my usual choice. It is also in the ideal midtown location.

I was expecting a few more facilities and more of a glitzy interior. However, the room was very big for Manhattan and was big generally. It was very clean. The housekeeping staff on the corridors were very friendly and helpful, even early in the morning.

All in a good central hotel. Its not the Peninsula or the Four Seasons but it is an ideal hotel for work or holiday.

Room Tip: I had a double queen [might have been king] room on the 20th floor and it was very spacious.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Paul B

Thank you for sharing your experience at the New York Hilton. Glad to heat that the hotel was a good location for your visit. We will share your reviews with the housekeeping staff. Thank you again.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

The hotel is well located especially for those coming to New York for the first time - easy links to uptown, downtown and many attractions.
The hotel in itself though has not been renovated in years it seems - quite shabby and the photos on the website of the bars and lobby are not indicative of reality. The lobby and dining areas are constantly noisy and resemble a train station no matter what time of day/night which is not something that should be associated with a 4 star hotel in my experience.
Our two bedrooms were very spacious and quiet however again, quite shabby and the bathrooms are tiny.
Also, the website and our online deal bosted free wi-fi however this is only in the lobby area and has to be paid for in the rooms.

Room Tip: As stated above, the rooms are all the same - large and for the most part clean however the bathroom...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Short on towels and sheets. We actually had to make up the pull out sofa ourselves. No mattress, just foam pads. Bathroom not very clean. Charged for luggage check in and check out to hold the bags. Held luggage was just everywhere with no real security. Big problem. Although location was great for us, I don't think I would recommend it others.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 14 November 2013

If you fancy a nice lobby with nice sitting place, calm, comfy, elegant......this is not that place. It is more like busy lobby like in shopping mall or lobby of office area. Huge hotel with many functions, conferences, groups. But regardless the traffic, service was good and efficient. Move, move, move.
I got breakfast ticket and it is just to grab muffin/pastry and coffee at coffee shop. But it's ok.
Room was nice, big for manhattan standard, up to Hilton standard. Despite the busy lobby, room floor was calm and peaceful. Lift was fast.
When I asked help to pick luggage from my room, bellboy was fast and friendly.
One thing to improve is to add more seats at lobby so guest can wait comfortably.
Hotel located at best spot. Surrounded by deli for anything you want to grab and eat. Short stroll away from Central Park, minutes from shopping strip of 5tf ave. Less than 10 min to theaters in Broadway. Access to metro is easy just a minute walk and you can commute by subway to any point of Manhattan.
Will I come back to stay here? Definitely!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family