“Rooms dont justify the price”

New York Hilton Midtown
Ranked #323 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed at the Hilton midtown for 6 nights in the 3rd week of June.
I write this review with mixed feelings as on one hand, I have a hotel with excellent service and on yhe other hand I have a hoyel with very outdated rooms, cramped and which definitely dont justify the price.
If it were not for the excellent location and yhe exceptionally high level of service, I would most definitely not stay here.
Cons
1. Rooms are very tiny, with barely any walking space if you have luggage.
We had a 5 yr old and with the sofa cum bed open at night, we couldnt even open the drapes because the window was diffucult to get too.
2. No mini fridge
3. No electric kettle
4. Tiny cramped bathroom with a shower with no basics like even a towel rod. If the door to the bathroom is
open, its difficult to even turn around.
5. The lobby was crowded like anything on all the days we were there. Very
noisy with lots of people around. Its like a party!

Pros

1. The level of service is outstanding. A special mention to MrJake Mustian
Security Administrator Assistant.
My husband had left our camera bag in the room with the lens inside. We called the hotel and were told very categorically that they hadnt found anything in our room and would have it on record. Just out of the lark, I mailed the hotel and within a day, there was a mail from Jacob informing me about the bag. He had managed to trace it and even offered to mail it to our family free of cost.
I was really impressed with
his level of honesty and
integrity.
The management, kindly do make note of this.
Thank you Mr Jacob once again for your help.
2. The concierge was also very helpful with their suggestions and extremely pleasant.
3. Their is an herb kitchen right in the lobby, perfect to grab a cup of coffee or sandwiches. They have an excellent cheesecake:)
On all the days that we were here, we picked up our breakfast from here.There is also an excellent breakfast place right across the hotel and a lovely deli on 55th street. So I would advise not wasting money on the expensive breakfast served at the hotel, which is very good but highly over priced in my opinion at $45 per person.
I loved this hotel for the location and for the service..special thanks to Jacob again..but for the price, I didnt care for the rooms at all. I feel at least the basics should be
in place.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank efscrfrr
There are newer reviews for New York Hilton Midtown

Reviewed 9 July 2014

The Hilton NYC Midtown is a massive operation - and they are good at it too. The hotel is really doing a pretty good job managing so many customers - business travelers, tourists, etc. But along the way some things are lost - personal touch, service excellence, etc.
I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. The room was good - although the lack of a refrigerator is a pretty big inconvenience. Check-in and check-out were efficient but they left me feeling like being processed on a production line (I was not greeted as a Diamond member). A request for a mere 2pm late checkout was denied with bruised feeling. Luggage storage takes a few bucks, some sweat and self-esteem too. The executive lounge was extremely crowded too.
All things considered, I'll probably return to Hilton NYC Midtown if there's no other choice. You can expect an OK stay but forget about anything memorable....

Room Tip: No refrigerator in room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DT94024
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Central to everything! easy walking everywhere. Close to subways, times square, central park, etc. Spring for the extra few dollars a room and stay on the executive floor. Breakfast & snacks included.

Room Tip: Recommend executive floors. "Lounge" with breakfast, beverages & snacks access all day...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kari K
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is the third time at the Hilton Hotel and it was not a great experience. The location is extremely closed for our client business. It is only a few blocks from St. Patrick's Cathedral, Times Square, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, and the Milos Restaurant which we love. I booked this hotel through Hotels.com and on the description it said premium room with king size bed. When we finally got to the reception (20 minutes in line), we were informed that we have a queen bed. The hotels attitude is the rooms are booked as one bed. (One bed means any size). The rooms (standard room with one kind of queen size bed) was smaller than expected with a much smaller bathroom. We were lucky to get two rooms that have been renovated. The toilet area was very crowded and almost made it impossible to reach the flush mechanism.

The service was good and the wifi is slow and pricey. The location of the hotel is very convenient for driving also. Views are not as great as other close by hotels. Not all floors and rooms are renovated, so ask for an updated room. The only negative was the bathroom did not have space to place personal toiletries. I had to call the front desk for toiletries missing from the bathroom. The hotel was very quiet, very unlike most hotels which are noisy due to the traffic in NYC. If you book with Hotels.com you will get one bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely not king size.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room in renovated floors and double check on bed size.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Thermotech
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My family has stayed here several times. We like the location - we have stayed in Times Square before and found it too busy. This is only a short walk away from many NYC attractions. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CanadianTraveller3B
Claire A, Director of Sales at New York Hilton Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Jknight910,

Thank you for reviewing your Fourth of July stay at the New York Hilton Midtown. It was our pleasure to help make the occasion special, and we look forward to welcoming you back in August. As with your first stay, you can count on superior convenience, comfort, and efficiency with each subsequent visit. In hopes of making your return stay even better, please feel free to reach out prior to departure if you need anything at all.

NYCNH_DS@hilton.com
New York Hilton Midtown
Kellie Cahill
Director of Sales and Marketing

Reviewed 7 July 2014

The rooms were incredibly dirty, and for what you are paying per night, I wouldn't suggest it. Don't be fooled by the lobby. And if you do eat there, watch out. . . they will try to slide the 18% gratuity onto your check without a mention. I was not pleased.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Melissa C
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We spent three nights over the July 4th weekend at the Hilton and I highly recommend the hotel. The hotel is better than the reviews. First, I have stayed at most of the “great” chain hotels in the city (i.e. Doubletree, Marriott MQ, etc.) and the location of this Hilton worked better for me. 10 minutes to Times Square and 15 minutes to Central Park. Also, while NYC is crowded, this location had a less crowded feel.

Other specifics….
1. Check-in and out was easy. A late check-out was no problem.

2. $42.33 from LGA with tip.

3. Executive lounge, while crowded, was not a problem. Hilton had staff on hand to find you a table. The continental breakfast was adequate.

4. The elevator system is easy. You get on one elevator and do not need to transfer. If you have stayed on Times Square, you know what I am talking about.

5. Taxis were easy to get when leaving for the airport.

6. Internet was excellent both in the room and in the executive lounge.

I am back in NYC next month and will be staying at the Hilton Midtown again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple