“Nice Area, convenient!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Nice Area, convenient!”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I had to stay here for an extended period of time and I was very comfortable. The views from the room were nice, looking out onto the busy streets and office buildings. Some would prefer other views but this is what I wanted.

Food - I ate at Herb n' Kitchen just about everyday. I was often in a hurry, rushing to work, rushing home (the hotel) and so it did the trick, though they did get my order wrong a few times and I just didn't want to go through the trouble of re-ordering and sending back items. So be very clear when you place your inroom dining orders. It's not brought in with the regular tray and table, etc. It's brought in a large paper bag and everything is wrapped in appropriate paper and containers depending on what's hot and what's cold. It is not 24 hours either so you have to be strategic in ordering or else you'll have to go to a vendor on the street for something quick...which is actually pretty darn good too.

Staff - You know, you hear these horror stories about how rude people are in NYC. I haven't experienced that at ANY time, in fact, they are nicer than people in most cities I visit/work in. I found the staff to be extremely kind, from the housekeeping crew to the front desk. People smiled for the most part and if they didn't they did eventually after a few 'thank yous' and tips where appropriate. I'm not saying throw money to get people to be nice but showing appreciation via word or deed does help...

Cleanliness - it's clean.

Location: perfect for me...was in walking distance of most places I needed to go to... there's a taxi waiting area right out front, they seemed to be hailing them all day for guests. We used this service once, all other times I used UBER.

Social Media - I used this to speak with the hotel on multiple occasions. They were friendly and followed me back on Twitter. We chatted a bit. It gave a more human experience to the hotel and I do plan to make this my main hotel for NYC.

Price: It was a heck of a lot cheaper than the ones I've stayed in prior...100s less and I got more than I paid for.

Will I stay again - yes, if I don't end up buying a place I'll just stay here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,775)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stay on the concierge floor which has all of the amenities we need. The elevators are slow but it is a New York high rise hotel so it is pretty normal for the city. We generally take a cab to the theater and walk back to the hotel afterwards. Accommodations are great. The fitness center and spa has all you need. Hair and nail salons are very close. Location is excellent.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,307 helpful votes
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My wife and I came to NYC for an extended long weekend on July 4. We booked an Executive level room and were lucky enough to be assigned a north facing room. On the 40th floor we had an obstructed view of Central Park. the room was large and bright and clean. It oddly had a series of screws sticking out of the wall where there may have been a wall mounted screen. The check in process was okay but I was not welcomed as a Gold member and the service was not attentive. The executive lounge is oddly on the lobby level and was not particularly well stocked at the evening session. Also, the wine bar was not working and the beer was $5 per rather small glass. The breakfast in the morning was pretty good but no hot selections. The location of the hotel is idea for mid-town exploring. You are right next to MOMA and a few blocks from Rockefeller Centre. It's about a 3-5 block walk either way to a subway stop. The Herb and Kitchen outlet in the lobby is convenient but expensive (over $5 for a large tea). There is a store about a half a block up 6th Ave on the opposite side that is a better snack option. There was also a friendly fellow in the lobby that invited us to a free breakfast on the top floor to discuss vacation opportunities. It was going to be 2 or 3 hours of time so we later declined the offer. It turns out it is a time share presentation and if you check on line the prices are substantial.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Great location. You can walk everywhere from here.
The room on the HHonors floor was large and comfortable. The executive lounge had a lot to be desired. Sparse appetizers with non working drink dispensers. The drinks in the lobby bar were WAY over priced.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I first stayed at this hotel 5 years ago and I thought it was great. Second time around two weeks ago, I thought, "OK nothing has changed. Which is good and bad because some things could have used some upgrading by now. Like the backboards. And what's up with no coffeemakers in the room. Never seen that. Not even in europe. And you should have queen size beds. Pillows not that great either. The room service was great. Plenty of towels and toiletries. Bathrooms were very clean and overall experience was fantastic. DO NOT BUY THEATRE TICKETS DOWNSTAIRS. Go to the box office of the theatre that's playing what you want to see. We save over $100.00 per person. I don't think they are affiliated with the hotel though just a podium with ripoff prices. Hotel is in an excellent location and has great service. Rooms are very clean but a little scratched up. Would probably stay there again due to relative price and location.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Emelyn1017
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My family stayed at this location for eight nights. Its in a great location and very close to Times Square and major sights. We used the family fun package which included free wifi and to go breakfast every morning which was great. The to go breakfast alone averages $30 so it was well worth it. I felt service was lacking somewhat as they did not go the small extra mile for my requests. For example, there was a mistake with our vouchers and once I alerted them to this, they directed me to come down to remedy instead of offering to bring up the new corrected ones. They complied once I requested this but I feel I should not have to request that. Also, we left something behind in the room, artwork purchased there, which was never returned. Management never replied to my email. Security tried to assist with this, but my calls were not returned and felt getting my item back as not important. Housekeeping probably threw it out or new guests probably kept the item. Disappointed with the lack of handling this issue.

Room Tip: Request higher level rooms for best views and updated rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Aherr7
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

proudly celebrating its 50th anniversary last year, this once magnificent hotel has managed to go from 5 restaurants and 24 hour room service to...None!
Imagine you arrive at 12.30 for the not unreasonable request to be served some lunch in one of New York's major hotels. Lunch? no problem. Served? no way, it is all about Self Service at the New York Hilton. You are directed to a supermarket with over chilled sandwiches that you have to eat from a plastic container with plastic cutlery at a dirty table. No staff seen clearing and cleaning and piles of used containers and napkins all around you. And if you decide to try room service instead, forget it.That was discontinued last year already apparently because we, the guests, wanted it that way!
But the suits at Hilton Worldwide call this still a Full Service Hotel and charge you accordingly. I for one call it pure profiteering just like that hypocritical message in your room asking you to use your towel and sheets again "because we care about the environment". If that was the real message why introduce this type of operation creating a mountain of plastic waste.

Room Tip: high up and facing Central Park away from elevators and ice machines
Green Features: Nonsense! while you are encouraged to use your towel and sheets again they are creating a mountain of plastic waste in that stupid new supermarket concept serving only takeaway anything! Just hypocritical
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Schnookie19
Kek98, Director of Sales at New York Hilton Midtown, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for sharing this candid feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input on our dining options and linen service and we will keep your comments in mind as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' experience. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in town so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.

NYCNH_DS@hilton.com