“Disappointed”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Portland, Oregon
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Check in was super long. They had two people checking in hundreds of people. I've never see a line so long for checking. I was disappointed in our room. The wall paper is peeling off the wall, the bathroom door is white and is dirty. I expected much more from a hilton.

Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,794)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I've had better stays at $100 a night hotels. There was a charge for everything. For having to pay $350 a night, you should have a fridge, microwave, coffee pot and WiFi included. But not here. I paid for the WiFi and the last night I was connected to Starbucks for free. The blanket on the bed was a thin blanket in between 2 sheets. The continental breakfast was crazy expensive per person plus gratuity. And even higher for the buffet. A BUFFET! The guy was sweet talking my young daughter and as soon as I said we had to eat somewhere else, he sure dropped the charm. It was a beautiful hotel, but for the price, i was not impressed. Not everyone that stays in Manhattan from out of town is rich. I'm not sure I want to pay extra to stay at a Hilton if that is all they have to offer for a standard room. Housekeeping was nice.

• Stayed July 2014
Kek98, Director of Sales at New York Hilton Midtown, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input on our value and offerings and we will use your comments as we continue to evolve our guests' experience to best meet and exceed your expectations. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I stayed here for almost a week, and there were definitely some lows and some highs. What I liked: the view was magnificent, there are different elevators for different floors, the room was cleaned everyday, the tv was large, the location is awesome. What I didn't like: there was no fridge (only available for an extra fee), the trashes were ridiculously small, the internet is not available for free for the Hotel guests.

Room Tip: Corner suites have bigger windows, rooms on the 15th floor have more elevators (less waiting), more...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank VickiePierce
Dallas, Georgia
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I been the top of the Hilton Honnors program since 1988, so I been in a lot of hotels, all over the world. I stayed here a number of times, it costs like any great hotel, no matter which major city in the world you are in. You can't beat the location, an easy walk anywhere in mid town. The subway is a short walk away and the area is super safe. A number of places to eat, so you can save a few bucks. The rooms are very large for NYC & very clean. If you take a Towers Room, the Executive Lounge is outstanding and its on the 1st floor.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, but the higher the better. Parking is $40.00 per night and traffic can be murde...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Okinawa, Japan
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My husband and I had planned a couples trip away to New York City. We were excited to see some Broadway shows, eat some excellent food and take in all the city has to offer. My husband is a Hilton Honors member and I’m a Hyatt Honors member. When searching for a hotel, we decided to go with the New York Hilton Midtown. It had many of a the amenities we were looking for and the location was good for our agenda! We arrived after a 14 hour flight from Japan, exhausted and jet lagged. We were greeted by the nice staff, quickly checked in.

I was thankful my husband was a Diamond member because our quick check-in was only due to his status. There was an extremely long line for others who were not Diamond or Executive Members.

Within 24 hours, the hotel was inundated with convention goers. Now, I fully expect hotels to have conventions. They are big business. What I was NOT prepared for was that some of the convention participants were using their guest rooms as ‘interview’ rooms during the convention. That meant that a normal 5 minute wait for the elevator (there are only 3 elevators that go to the 42nd floor) turned into a 10-15 minute wait, and once the elevator opened, it may already have been full with convention goers trying to get to an ‘interview’ room! Not only that, but the hallway to our room was often lined with convention goers waiting to be interviewed by the guests in room 4217 or 4219. As I said, we were jet lagged and not sleeping on a normal schedule, so random people making noise in the hallway all day was NOT what we were looking for when finding a hotel.

Fast forward a couple of days and my husband and I wanted to get a massage. We went to the Hilton Hotel Concierge and asked her for recommendations. She told us that the hotel did not provide that service but gave us 2 recommendations. We called the 1st number, a ‘salon’ right around the corner, and got in immediately for a massage. When we got to the Hilton recommended ‘spa’, we were immediately overcome by the lack of professionalism and esthetics. My husband and I looked at each other and said, ‘Hilton recommended it, so maybe it’s a ‘hidden gem!’ Without going into the specifics on the spa, what I will tell you is that it was not a ‘licensed’ massage therapy place. They were only licensed to do cosmetology. The woman who run it charged us $400 for 2 massages, and all we wanted to do was RUN!!!!

At this point, we came back to the hotel waited forever to get back to the room because of the convention goers, waiting to get on the elevators to the 42nd floor and then waiting to be interviewed in the hallway. I was livid. I called the front desk and asked to speak to a manager. When the manager called me back, about 30 minutes later, I calmly explained my frustrations with the convention (that I certainly understood that conventions are big business, but the private guest rooms should NOT be used for the convention interviews AND that I would FULLY expect concierge recommendations to be vetted businesses, places the Hilton would really feel comfortable recommending!)

He apologized for our inconvenience and said he’d speak with the appropriate people. We still had 4 days left and were hoping we’d see some changes.

Nothing changed. Interviews still continued on our floor, the elevators still were packed with people who were NOT staying on our floor, but were convention goers and we remained disappointed with Hilton.

Two days later, I spoke to another manager in the hotel lobby. She said she didn’t know what the ‘Sales Team’ had promised the convention, so she couldn’t guarantee that anything would be done. She also said that she would get back to me… and she didn’t!

All of this to say, when you’re spending upwards of $500 a night for a hotel, you do expect a certain level of service… even if it’s a quiet place to rest your head! Hilton clearly is WAY more interested in their convention business than their average guests!

So yes, the room was nice, and yes, it’s in a good location, but I would certainly call to see what their convention schedule is prior to staying there!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michelle D
New Jersey
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I have stayed at many hotels in the city. This hotel was a frequent one for me, however, this hotel has cut back on almost everything. I have cancelled all my future reservations for this property and I will not stay here again. The bathroom on the main floor did not have soap in two out of the three soap dispensers, and the faucet did not work on one. The property is no longer as clean as it use to be. The gym no longer has a reception desk, fruit, messages etc... It is now like a gym at a Hampton Inn. The gym use to have a huge reception counter, a person to sign you in. It takes away from the way it use to be. The rooms no longer have a coffee maker or mini bar, no fridge, nothing... There was not even water provided, which as a diamond member, has always happened. I paid over $300 a night as a business traveler. i expect a certain level of service from a HILTON, and this hotel has failed. This hotel is simply a large Hampton Inn, in my opinion. If you just need a room in midtown and don't care about having morning coffee in your room, cleanliness, or personal service, then this is the place for you!

Room Tip: don't stay on the 28th floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Janet M
Kek98, Director of Sales at New York Hilton Midtown, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
We are so sorry to hear you were disappointed in the comfort and appointment of our guestrooms and common areas during your recent stay. We value you as a loyal guest and regret your experience as we strive to consistently provide quality service and accommodations to each of our guests. We will use your comments as we continually evolve to best meet this standard moving forward and we hope you will return to stay with us the next time you visit the area so we may show you the improved hospitality you expect and deserve.

Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2014

After identifying this property’s location (near Times Square, Broadway, Central Park) as perfect for a family holiday to NYC, we booked a 6 night stay in July. We paid a bit extra for a corner room. It was of course during the high season, costing us $350+ a night.
We were disappointed on a few fronts:
1) While the lobby and amenities are admirable, the general hallways and rooms are definitely showing their age: I saw peeling wallpaper, cracks and chipped paint in hallways, and especially in our room a fairly stained carpet that also felt moist in spots—no doubt not helped by the humid weather. The property is showing its age, unfortunately, and was not what I hoped for at $350+ a night.
2) The extra for a corner room was not worth it—we could not have curtains open as that window faced directly into office windows across the street, with a resulting lack of privacy. I basically paid extra for no benefit. Don't bother.
3) I was especially annoyed that to have access to in-room Wi-Fi would cost another $15 a night. I find this nothing short of gouging.With cities and communities across North America working to provide free Wi-Fi service, and competing hotel properties and chains offering free room Wi-Fi, I think this is a real negative. I and many other guests were forced to make the tiresome trek to the lobby just to access free wifi for email, etc.
4) I also was unhappy to find the only option for a nice breakfast was a buffet priced at $45 per person. Faced with that, we opted for going offsite for breakfast.

I will acknowledge that the fitness room was superb, generally staff (with a few exceptions)was very pleasant and helpful, and thought the idea of the Herb N’ Kitchen (think: cafe meets deli meets convenience store) was a good one that we did utilize a few times. But the overall impression was not terribly positive.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dave,

Thank you for submitting your experience. Your feedback is truly important to us because it helps us to realize both our strengths and weaknesses from our guests' point of view. I apologize that we did not exceed your expectations on value and appointment throughout your stay. We strive to provide the quality experience you expect from our brand and regret our missteps. We will keep your concerns in mind as we continually evolve to best meet and exceed our guests' needs and hope you will give us another opportunity to impress should you return to the city in the future.