“Top!”
Review of Hotel 309

Hotel 309
“Top!”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

top adress in downtown manhattan! subway and supermarket are nearby. 15 minutes to times square. the rooms are a little bit small but we were an tour throu manhattan the whole day and fall tired into bed at night :) we prefer a room not on the streetside, because it was noisy during the night, but thats the city that never sleeps ;-)

Room Tip: a room in the courtyard
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I've stayed there a couple of times, and found out that both the rooms and the prices can be very different. I'm not surprised to see such widely varying reviews. The one constant is that if you're friendly with the desk people, you get great service, and they're flexible and creative in solving problems and accomodating you.

I've paid as little as ~$120/night and as high as $300 for one night. That was because it was the only private-bathroom room left for that night, so apparently they do demand pricing. Reserve earlier and get a better deal; reserve when there are few rooms left and you'll pay more, at least for a private bathroom. I bet some of these reviews are based on how much they happened to pay; the very same room and experience can leave someone feeling upset if they paid $300/night, or feel like it was great and they got a deal if they paid $120/night.

No elevator! That's totally normal for Manhattan, but people who aren't used to New York City may find that surprising. You may end up on the 3rd or 4th floor, so be ready for stairs. Also, while the location is excellent, that also means it's *loud*. Since the heating is hard to adjust and doesn't have a thermostat (also totally normal for Manhattan), you may need to open the window to be comfortable, so be prepared for the noise. I wouldn't want to stay on the 1st floor.

Oh, yeah, and the location is excellent! Right next to an A/C/E subway stop, a short walk from several other lines, and reasonable NYC walking distance to a variety of active neighborhoods including Chelsea, Hell's Kitchen, West Village.

As far as I could tell, neither of the rooms I stayed in had air conditioning. Lack of AC is also a fairly normal Manhattan thing, but I wouldn't be able to sleep there in the summer.

Room Tip: I've only stayed in the rooms with private bathrooms. Each room seems very different. Room 39...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank TripCos
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My first night I listen to noises just to turn on the lights and see two rats all over my luggage. The staff solution was to scare the rats out of the room (that remained somewhere on the building). They didn´t seem shocked or embarrased or apologetic. Thats the worst part.
The room wasn´t cleaned. They just change towels and make the bed. Dust all over the room.
HIGHLY OVERPRICED. USD300 a night for this hotel is a cruel joke. You get decent accomodation for that price elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Gustavo C
hotel309, General Manager at Hotel 309, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I can assure you that problems like this we take with the utmost seriousness and they demand immediate action. I am truly sorry you had this experience while staying with us and I can certainly understand how upsetting that can be. At your convenience, please contact us directly at the hotel (1-888-309-4683) as I would like to arrange for proper compensation for this problem to be addressed if it has not been done so already. Again, please accept my sincere apologies for this situation. We continue to strive to prevent similar situations from ever occurring in our hotel again.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I had the absolute worst stay at this dirty hotel.
My stuff went missing because the maid left the door open and the staff said they cant really do anything about it and said that I was the one who probably misplaced it.
Also the heating didn't work and my private shower didn't work. And the private rooms are not exactly cheap.
There was a leak and a fire alarm on my second night so checked out early because it was too stressful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank emmalondon2014
hotel309, General Manager at Hotel 309, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am truly sorry that your experience here was described this way. We want all our guests to have not only a satisfactory stay, but one that enhances enjoyment and comfort during your time in New York. I would like to speak with you personally if possible and would ask to call us directly at the hotel. Our phone number is 1-888-309-4683. It does not sound like the situation you encountered was resolved properly and I would like to offer you more back if you were not properly compensated for these inconveniences. Again, I sincerely regret that we did not serve you better during your time here.
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Well there is no elevador and I stayed on the 5th floor. Room a bit dirty but organized with no heat on and shared bathroom. I wouldn't stay here anymore. But neighborhood was perfect and supermarket super close and subway station.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Gazito
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Before I arrived, I read all of the reviews online. Most of them were spot on. I arrived at 1:30 PM on the Friday before Easter and the attendant, Matt, was very nice. He told me to just go drop off my bags in the room because the maid was still getting it ready. I came back in an hour after eating and it was perfect! It's located directly beside the 14th St. & 8th Ave subway, which is VERY convenient. I went all over the city using this entrance. The property is not glamorous or fancy, but my room was nice and clean. It's obviously a family-run property and if need something, just ask the maid whenever you happen to bump into her. I reserved a room that included a private bathroom (because I just can't fathom the thought of sharing a bathroom with a stranger all weekend). Be sure to bring your own soaps and lotions because they are not provided. I mean, there is this generic soap/shampoo dispenser in the shower, but I I prefer to know where my soap is coming from. The TV channels are basic cable, so don't expect to watch HBO. My room came with a clean fridge and microwave, which was good. The location is great and it's comfy. The exterior doesn't reflect how the rooms look, so don't be put-off when you arrive. I recommend this place to anyone looking for a great deal in a good place. Just know that if you're gonna need/expect amenities, this isn't the place for you. But if you're looking to have a fun time in New York, then please give this place a try.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a bathroom. I had room 22, which perfect for one person or a couple.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Quincy J
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Room was nice and bed was comfy. We had a room with the private bathroom along with the room with the 2 bunk beds. Room space was kinda small but then again its NYC you can to see the city not to stay in the room. The hotel employees was nice and helpful when we need a cab to go out they called one for us. But over all it was a nice decent place to stay. I wouldn't mind staying there again.

Room Tip: Make sure to book the room with the private bathroom, cause the shared bathroom doesn't seem lik...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends