“Lovely little hotel in a fantastic location”
Review of Hotel Mela

Hotel Mela
Ranked #273 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Derby, United Kingdom
“Lovely little hotel in a fantastic location”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

My husband and I travelled to New York over the Christmas period, we were a tad apprehensive due to the mixed reviews for this place. We chose it for it's location as it looked close to Times Square.

We arrived right in the middle of it all and couldn't believe how close it was ! The reception staff were very welcoming and helpful. There was hot chocolate and fresh apples on reception each day and although we never partook we thought it was a nice touch.

The room was clean but very small I don't think I quite understood from the reviews how small this place was. If like us you can see past that though then it doesn't matter as we had a fantastic stay in a fantastic location, that certainly outweighed the 'small' room.

When we came to leave the reception area was slightly chaotic but again everyone was very helpful and they ordered us a cab to take us to the airport.

I would definitely recommend this place if like us you are a couple wanting to see the sights maybe not so much if you have young children.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 4 March 2014

If you open the mini bar you will be charged. It doesn't matter if you use anything inside you still get charged. My bill was 15.24 for opening the door. When I checked out I was told NO PROBLEM! The mini bar would be checked by room service and if I did not use I would not be charged. WRONG. I was still charged. I called to get it corrected and was told I had to write to get it fixed. I don't think so. I disputed it on my credit card. What I dont understand is I had a good stay at this hotel. Room was great and I was ready to be a repeat customer. Problem should have been fixed at CHECKOUT. End of story. I would have been a repeat customer. But no...... lets make it hard and charge customers for what they don't use. After all who checks their bill all the time.

Room Tip: Get the deluxe room but don't open the mini bar door unless you want to pay for something.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ken H
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 March 2014

What a great hotel. Kids were so happy. I was so happy. Cute Manager also :) I believe her name was Daniella. We will be going back in Oct. Vacation a win! The perfect location if you want to stay in the heart of Times Square and see the city. Toys R us was right across the street.

• Stayed February 2014
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Got a package deal for $169/night including breakfast and free internet. Small, but clean and modern room. Internet, TV, and lockable safe work well, and the breakfast in the Bistro next door was fabulous! Bathroom is small and there is only one chair in the room. When a couple reserves a room, we need a bare minimum of TWO chairs! We are on the 2nd floor so traffic noise (garbage trucks in the middle of the night) is audible (Whaddayougonnado?). Would probably return again.

Room Tip: try to go higher than the 2nd floor!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Danvers, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband and I recently traveled to New York City to attend a Broadway show and booked our one night stay at Hotel Mela. It was exactly what we had hoped - clean, comfortable, reasonably priced (for a NYC hotel), quiet, and very convenient to the theater and restaurants. We requested a lower level room and also an earlier check-in time and both were granted without hesitation or problem. The staff was friendly and cheerful. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

I always read reviews before booking a hotel baring in mind some people expect a little too much from a hotel...waldorf astoria for the price of a holiday in lets say...so here is a review from a traveller expecting a good service for the money I pay.
The hotel is in an unbeatable spot near to times square and handy for everywhere really. The staff could not have been more helpful from requests before we stayed to help during our stay. We had a superior king room which was a decent size for our 4 nights and a lovely comfortable bed.
Breakfast at the biestro was lovely..a little repetitive as there are a choice of 3 options but we had the traditional eggs scrambled with bacon and it was great. It also filled us until well after dinner time.
The only issues we had was having the tv on and switching the coffee machine onn tripped our electric twice but this was promptly sorted by maintenance. Also on checking in we were not given breakfast vouchers ehich caused some confusion but again quickly rectified after sleakkng to reception.
A room with breakfast at this hotel for two at the hotel I would say is worth up to £130 so have a look for deals.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emma B
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This hotel is like a hidden treasure amongst the vast verity of Times Square hotels.
Located to perfection, decent rooms, great service and great deals.
It is by far one of the best hotels in mid town and not only for its value.
The staff is also very accommodating, I'd like to highlight one of them, Daniela B, she assisted me with any request, always with a smile and always with the ability to provide a solution.
This was my first time staying at the Mela but it is not my last one.

• Stayed March 2014