“Great Location!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #258 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Boston
“Great Location!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

Stayed for a weekend. Great location right in Times Square. Rooms are TINY but it's right in New York City so I guess that is the norm. I was surprised at how tiny the elevators were as well. Bath products were really nice. The bed was great, super comfortable but woke up early to some sort of music and someone on a microphone at 8am on Sunday morning... :/. Other than that enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
nickhotelmela, Front Office Manager at Hotel Mela, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay at Hotel Mela.

I would like to sincerely apologize for the loud noises that woke you up. Please know we have reached out to our neighbors and asked them to be very mindful of loud noise that can disturb our guests, and we anticipate their cooperation. Again, I am sorry for any inconvenience you incurred.

Additionally, I wanted to let you know that we do have larger guest rooms available. Our Deluxe rooms average approximately 220 square feet and our Executive rooms average approximately 300 square feet. We also have several suites available.

Please contact me directly (patrickk@hotelmela.com) the next time you visit NYC and I will assist you with making a reservation at Hotel Mela. Hope to see you soon!

Warm regards,
Patrick Kennedy
Assistant Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

This was an excellent deal and at first I was a little skeptical because it was such a great deal (breakfast, drinks, late checkout) but they met the mark. The staff was much more helpful than other "boutique" hotels I've stayed at. I understand that other guests had trouble during the days I was there because the computer system was down but the staff was still enthusiastic, kind and patient. The location is great. So close to Times Square yet actually a quiet side street. The room I had was exactly what the picture looked like. One night there were some other guests who were a little loud but eventually they settled down...I didn't call the front desk because I understand this isn't my own private oasis. If it got obnoxious I would have said something. I really liked that everything was clean. I have been to NYC 4 times but it was my 13-year old daughter's first time and I am so glad we chose a small, independent hotel for her first experience in NYC. Added bonus: The wifi in the room worked. It doesn't always work in the hotels I stay at.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Richmond VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

We spent 3 nights at Hotel Mela and had a great experience. Room was clean and comfortable and surprisingly quiet for a 3rd floor room facing the street. Staff was very helpful. We got an extremely good rate from the hotel website which included an upgrade to a king deluxe room, free breakfast, and two free drinks. Excellent location for shows, Times Square, and Rockefeller Center. Short walk to 5th Avenue and Central Park.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Planet9
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

My husband and I just got back from a wonderful 4 day trip to New York. With all the hotels in NYC, we would have never found Hotel Mela on our own so I'm glad we took advantage of a Travelzoo deal which included a free room upgrade and breakfast at the french bistro next door. We were concerned about reviews complaining about the small and noisy rooms, but our Deluxe King room was spacious, clean and quiet.. I loved the contemporary style of the room, the comfy bed and bedding, La Vazza coffee maker and free WIFI. Breakfast at the Saju Bistro was delicious but instead of ordering off the full menu the selections are limited to three choices. We were also concerned about staying so close to busy Times Square, but the location is ideal. Being half a block from Broadway we were close to all the action without being right in it.

Many thanks to Patrick the Assistant Front office manager for accommodating our request for an early check in by arranging for our room to be ready when we arrived at 7:30 am weary from a red eye flight from Vancouver! Thanks also to JP for planning the surprise delivery of a wine and cheese platter, a gift ordered by our Vancouver friends. The front desk and lobby staff were very friendly and the urn of complimentary Hot chocolate was a welcome treat after an afternoon of shopping in SOHO.

Travelzoo introduced us to the Hotel Mela, but the staff, the rooms and the convenient location will bring us back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Hotel Mela was overall a wonderful experience! Got a great deal on a room with breakfast at wonderful bistro next door. Everything was so comfy and cozy. The service of all of the staff was very friendly and welcoming, it felt like our home away from home. Very clean premises also.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Chance399
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

All staff were pleasant and helpful during our 5 night stay. We were upgraded to a larger queen room that was next to elevator. This wasn't a huge problem as it wasn't super busy. The room was always clean and the bed was really comfortable. We had a view of a brick wall but the FANTASTIC location made up for that.
As we had never been to NYC before, we wanted to experience as much as possible. The location was REALLY close to Times Square and a lot of Broadway musicals. The subway was easily accessible for most lines. It was a great vantage point to get the most out of the city. We did do a lot of walking, but from the hotel we got to the Intrepid museum and even walked hope after our day at the Natural History Museum.
All in all, this hotel was great value for money and I would definitely recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

I booked a Spring Fling package at Hotel Mela when I needed a place to stay for one night on a business trip. The location is convenient, close to Times Square and the subway, not too far from Penn Station. The package included breakfast, drinks and an upgraded room. All that was great, but the best part of my stay was the staff. They were welcoming, helpful and wonderful from the minute I stepped inside the door. I often find checking into NYC hotels to be a not-so-great experience, like I'm somehow bothering the desk clerks. Not so here. The staff was top rate. The upgraded room was large (by NYC standards) and very clean and comfortable. I would stay here again. Breakfast at Saju Bistro was very good, too.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business