“Nice property near Times Square”
Review of Hotel Mela

Ranked #268 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Fort Worth, Texas
“Nice property near Times Square”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Hotel Mela is a good option if you are looking for a property near Times square. Our room was small (hey, it’s NY) but clean and the common areas were very nice. It is walking distance from Times Square and the theater district. Included with our stay was breakfast at a restaurant (Saju Bistro) next door to the hotel, making our stay an even better value. The only drawback to be cognizant of if you stay here is the mini bar. Be warned. It has sensors to tell them if you had any cocktails, water, or snacks. Well, when we checked out we had $40 of mini bar charges on our bill and never even opened the bar. It appears the problem was not just with us as we met 2 other couples when checking out that had the same issue. And management did remove the charges. Not a deal breaker but something to be aware of.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Absolutely great value considering the location. Our room was clean but small, which did not worry us as we were only in the room to sleep. Also, who cares when you are located 100yards from Times Square! We will definitely be back to this hotel on our next visit to Manhattan. Thanks.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cheryl D
norwich
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The hotel itself is fairly pleasant. It is well decorated and a quiet hotel offering 24/7 security/assistance in a perfect location in New York for a very good value price point (I paid £70 per night). However the rooms are small, now I have been to NY many times and I mean these are really small (you could only get out of bed on one side because the other was against the wall) but fine for the solo traveller I was. The view was a bit dark facing the back of the street, and meant the room felt quite dark - pretty lucky as there was no curtains (however I have experienced this elsewhere in New York) and the room was very quiet.

The next things to mention as others is that the wifi reception is too weak in the rooms or work effectively, so consider this a wifi in the lobby only facility. The water pressure is very strong, now I'm not sure if it's just me, and I've never had this problem before but I spent the whole time in this hotel being electric shocked, I had to touch everything with a piece of card (light switches, tv lift everything!) and I didn't have any problem once I left the building, so not sure what that is about.

The thing that really made my trip a disappointment was the checking out process. On checking in they take a $50, I think per night? Deposit. Effectively $100 was authorised on my card. Three weeks later, this money is still authorised on my card! So I tweet them, for which they were very quickly to reply and I send the derails via direct mail. I was told somebody would be in touch shortly but they were not. I retweeted and somebody then email me and said it was actually the bank that I needed to contact as they had lifted the authorisation. I was busy at the time and went to contact the bank a couple of days later to see the money had been returned, something suggests they had just forgot about it?! They also said next time they can take the despot by cash - unfortunately I don't think there will be a next time now, especially as my bank still charged me the currency fee so I was effectively out of pocket for them holding the deposit.

Previous experience aside, the following makes me believe the hotel are trying to rip off customers. On checking out the bill is put under your door and there is an 'automatic minibar' in the room, where if something is taken out then you are charged for it. On my bill were 3 items-and I hadn't even opened the door! As soon as I mentioned this they instantly removed them - they did not even check if the items were there, makes me think they are trying to sneak a few extra $ from you if you get a good deal on the room rate, so watch out!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank VictoriaSnedker
HotelManagerMela, General Manager at Hotel Mela, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Greetings Ms. Snedker,

Thank you for writing a very candid review on your experience at Hotel Mela and I offer my personal apologies on the mishaps that happened during your stay.

Please know the charge that you see is strictly an Authorization taken for incidental charges. The hotel does authorize $50 per day to ensure any incidental charges are covered and is released immediately after departure; we will check immediately to see why it has not been released yet. It is true we do have automated minibar systems in our guest rooms and they tend to be very accurate so we will certainly double check the room you were in to ensure this never happens again

Please contact me directly if I could be of any further service to you and once again our apologies if we caused you any confusion.

Yours in Hospitality,

Nick Ivezaj
Direct: 212-710-7008
Hampton
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The room was nicely laid out with a bedroom and sitting room. The bath appeared to have been recently remodeled and was first class. It's proximity to Times Square was perfect. Be sure to have breakfast at their restaurant next door, delicious and reasonable.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Stayed at Mela in April whilst in New York for 4 nights. The location was fantastic within walking distance to many of the main sites, theatre and shopping parts of NYC. The hotel is boutique style. The rooms are very small (most are in New York) but pretty modern and stylish. The beds were very comfy and all in all the room was pretty good to chill out in after a long day shopping. We did a few events at Madison Square garden and this is only a 15 minute walk away. There are a lot of nice restaurants next to the hotel and a chilled pub next door. would reccommend and return.

1 Thank ALT1976UK
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This hotel has a fabulous location -- just half a block from 7th (Broadway). The lobby is beautiful and the rooms are, too. The rooms are small, but OK. However, several things kept this from being a completely satisfying stay. First of all, the curtains in the room did not close, so the bright lights kept me awake. The hot water was only lukewarm. And the free wireless connection, while nice, was weak. I had to take my computer to the lobby to send e-mail. Be sure to ask about these things before you book a room.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask if the curtains close.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank loviefinch
HotelManagerMela, General Manager at Hotel Mela, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Greetings!

Hello and thank you for writing an honest review about the Mela. We really do appreciate the feedback and make sure we do everything we can to correct service and operational concerns.

I'm very sorry to hear about the water concerns as well the wi-fi issues; please know we recently upgraded our entire Wi-Fi system and will check that particular room for sure.

Please contact me directly if I can do anything to recover this situation for you as well.
The next time you wish to visit NYC we'll be sure to offer you a great room with a discounted price point.

We are at your service.

Nick Ivezaj
Direct: 212-710-7008
Ruston, Louisiana
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Wonderful price, location and staff. Just a few steps from Times Square and all the action. 2 ladies stayed and felt safe in and out at all hours. Staff was extremely helpful and John Paul was so much help with directions and was even able to get us tickets to NY Yankees game.
After searching for months and reviews, I can certainly say I would stay there again for price and location.

Room Tip: Excellent choice of hotel. Room 510 was excellent!
2 Thank Tledet434